Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Author, Make Menus, Slideshows, Burn

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-01-2011, 07:31 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

[QUICK GUIDE]

Need to burn an ISO to CD or DVD, and don't know what software to use, or how to use it? Either use the freeware Imgburn in Windows, or the freeware SimplyBurns in Mac OS X. For convenience, both SimplyBurn and ImgBurn have been attached to this post. (ImgBurn has an installer; SimplyBurns is inside a zip, and then simply drop the unzipped program into the Applications folder.) Both programs properly burn CDs/DVDs to the correct audio/video disc specifications.

___

NOTE: You must be logged as a Free Member or Premium Member to view images or download files.
It's free, register now. We never spam or sell your address. Register now or login.

___

Instructions for SimplyBurns - Mac OS X

1. Select 'Burn Image' from the initial screen given when the program starts.

simplyburn-images1-howto.jpg

2. Choose your image file. Burn. (Note: The ONLY downside to SimplyBurns is that you cannot select your burn speed. It will likely default to max burning speed. Although not ideal, it will still generally be okay on high quality blank DVD media like Verbatim/Mitsubishi or Taiyo Yuden.)

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Easy!

Instructions for Imgburn - Windows

Note: Imgburn has been tested to work with at least Windows XP, Vista, Win7, Server 2003/2008.

1. Imgburn opens with the "easy mode picker" (Ez-Mode) menu, and you select the option to burn an image to a disc.

simplyburn-images2-howto.jpg

2. With the spyglass folder icon, open your ISO image file. Pick your burning speed (8x or 12x on 16x DVD-R), and then burn with the big unlabeled button. (No disc was in my drive when making this guide, so it's not "lit up"; instead it's shown as "grayed out".)

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Easy!

Attached Files
File Type: zip SimplyBurns-build-rev416.zip (7.29 MB, 2 downloads)
File Type: rar ImgBurn_2.5.5.0.rar (5.25 MB, 4 downloads)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Free Member

When I click "write" it takes me to the dvd workshop folder, and my project that I just made in Workshop is there, so I double click it, and it takes me to a screen that has these folders in it..disc build, audio ts, capture, dws_ts, video_ts.

When I double click the VIDEO_TS folder, there is a file inside of it that says, VIDEO_TS.IFO so I highlight it, click open (to try and burn it) and an error message pops up that says "You're in the wrong "Mode" for burning DVD video files. Switch to "Build" Mode and then try again.

So, I go to "Build Mode" (which is the same mode I use for copying DVDs) and I'm able to burn the DVD from there.

I guess it's not a big deal since the project still burns to DVD, but I haven't made a DVD in a long time, and I'm just getting back into it, and I always thought I had to go to the "Write" option to burn a DVD that I made, and that's even what was said to do in this post.

I just wanted some clarification on that. Thanks.
08-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Free Member

I think you went too far into the folder.
Try just putting the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders in write mode.
I noticed with the new IMGBURN, which could have been true with the older ones
that I can place the entire folder in write mode....the one that has the above folders in it.
Then it is ready to write to disc.
You have to choose "write image file to disc" if you have image file (ISO)
You have to choose "write files/folders to disc if you have folders(VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS).

Last edited by Steve(MS); 08-27-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Add to post.
08-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
When I click "write" it takes me to the dvd workshop folder, ... so I double click it, and it takes me to a screen that has these folders in it..disc build, audio ts, capture, dws_ts, video_ts. ......... When I double click the VIDEO_TS folder, there is a file inside of it that says, VIDEO_TS.IFO so I highlight it, click open (to try and burn it) and an error message pops up that says "You're in the wrong "Mode" for burning DVD video files. Switch to "Build" Mode and then try again."
ImgBurn is one of the very few programs that gives useful error information.
In this case, it's exactly as stated -- you're using the wrong mode.

The guide in the first post was specifically created for burning ISO image files to DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD+R DL media.

Your DVD Workshop 2 project was not authored as an ISO file, but to a folder set (VIDEO_TS + AUDIO_TS + other unnecessary "housekeeping" data folders created by DVDWS2). To burn folder, and not ISO files, you must use Build Mode. I know this has been covered in other guides and posts on the site, but to quickly review that process one more time:
  1. When you go to Build Mode, you'll have an empty window area on the left top portion of the ImgBurn application.
  2. Drag your VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, possibly other DATA folders (which can be named anything) -- but NO FILES IN THE ROOT OF THE DISC!!! -- into that empty window area.
  3. Burn. ImgBurn will both create an ISO and burn it concurrently. You can burn it to a disc, or "burn" (write) it to an ISO file, for storage on a hard drive (for archiving, later burning, etc).
That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
You have to choose "write image file to disc" if you have image file (ISO)
You have to choose "write files/folders to disc" if you have folders(VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS).
And this is the short version of what I just wrote.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!