01-01-2020, 10:33 PM
Free Member

I'm new to this forum, and possibly the least knowledgeable member. If this question should be on a different thread, or in a different forum, be obliged if a moderator would let me know.

I'll put the bottom-line question first: is it possible to record an HD program on a Comcast cable network with a Magnavox DVR?

Background:
Have an LG HDTV on a Comcast cable network connection. For several years have used a Magnavox MDR535H DVR to record programs. The cable signal is encrypted, of course, so this only works by putting a cable box in front of the DVR. The limits me to recording whatever channel the cable box is tuned to - a limitation I've learned to live with. However, the 535 is limited to recording standard definition, no HD, even if an HD channel is tuned on the cable box. Regular programs are still watchable, but sports can be hard to see.

So I recently acquired a Magnavox 868, anticipating I'd be able to record HD, even if still limited to the cable-tuned station. No joy so far. Cannot figure out how to configure the channels. I'm getting a signal from the cable box - confirmed because the pass-through RF output via coax shows up on the TV (only SD, though ). However, I cannot get the 'autoscan' channel function to find any channels. Have tried both Antenna and Cable channel scans, both end with zero result. Apparently, since the unit was unable to find any channels on the scans (even though pass-through works), I am prevented from manually tuning to Channel 3 (which is where the older DVR tunes to get its input, and which should - I think - have been found on one of the scans). Since the autoscans fail, I cannot tune, or watch, anything through the unit except via pass-through. If I cannot tune, I cannot record. So the box is useless to me, even worse than the old SD box was. When I view output on screen view the HDMI link from the DVR, the various menus appear, but all I see on screen otherwise is a blue field. No TV picture.

What'd I miss? Am I expecting it to do something it cannot? Should I expect to be able to see the channel tuned on the cable box, like the older model does? If not, is there any after-marked DVR that would permit this? Or is the only way to record an HD program on a Comcast network to pay Comcast every month for the privilege of renting their box?

Thanks in advance.
-Jeff
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-03-2020, 08:51 PM
Free Member

I'm not sure how much of your post I'm interpreting correctly.
  1. The "HD" functionality of your 868 is only for unencrypted over-the-air or ClearQAM cable channels.
  2. "Channel 3" input won't work because that's analog and the 868 has no analog tuner.
  3. There exists hardware that would allow you to archive a re-compressed HD version from the outputs of your cable box, but it isn't a user-friendly DVR experience.