Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-04-2022, 11:54 AM
Free Member

We convert VCR, Hi-8, mini cassette tapes,... to MP4 format by connecting the VCR or cameras to our computer via Pinnacle 21 - Dazzle connection. It's not the greatest, but has worked fine. We recently bought a Sony SL-HF550 Beta player and have not been able to receive any signal from it in the Pinnacle program. Normally, it auto detects the player. Do we need something else to get the connection?

By the way, we're using the output plugs white/red/yellow. We have the remote control for it and the user's manual.

Thanks,
Sean
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-04-2022, 02:43 PM
Free Member

Does the VCR play back OK connected directly to a TV set via the same cables?

It may be the output signal is sufficiently off the standard that the Dazzle device does not recognize it. TV sets usually are less fussy about off-spec video inputs.
10-05-2022, 12:23 PM
Free Member

The VCRs and cameras connect to the computer without a problem, but when the Beta is connected the computer doesn't see it. The only time I've had this problem is if it wasn't connected to the computer.

I'm going to bring it home tonight, hook it up to the TV and see if there's still a problem. If so, I would imagine that it's the Beta output connection where the problem is.
10-06-2022, 04:14 PM
Free Member

If it plays OK to the TV set it may be that a TBC would bring the signal back to a standard the capture device can read.
10-15-2022, 03:40 PM
Free Member

Beta VCR's except the very last 2 or 3 models don't have menu or blue screen, So when setting it up make sure a tape with active content is playing back, otherwise all what you get is either static which consumer capture cards are unable to capture or black screen.
10-18-2022, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

FYI, the OP has started a thread at videohelp and says his customer gave him 100 tapes! And he doesn't know how to connect two versions via RF. Even calls it the VHF/UHF connector!

I respect a person's right to conduct business. I don't respect someone who could screw up 100 of someone's tcaptures with a "good enough" setup and a clear lack of basic knowledge
The following users thank lingyi for this useful post: beachcomber (10-19-2022), lordsmurf (10-18-2022)
10-18-2022, 08:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
FYI, the OP has started a thread at videohelp and says his customer gave him 100 tapes!
I don't respect someone who could screw up 100 of someone's tcaptures with a "good enough" setup and a clear lack of basic knowledge
It's unacceptable. It's like playing doctor, because you know how to buy aspirin at the dollar store.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-19-2022, 12:15 AM
Free Member

You get what you pay for, Lingyi. Out of interest, how much would you charge for the transfer of 100 beta tapes with full AVISynth restoration?
10-19-2022, 02:28 AM
Premium Member

Depends on the content and how much I want the best possible, up to the limits of the original. Several hundred dollars per tape wouldn't be too much. I've paid comparatively more for other non-video content that I really want.

What erks me about people like the OP is that prey on people who don't know or worse, may pretend they know what they don't. If you don't know, "Dazzle and baffle them with bullsh*t!" so they'll buy what you're selling.
10-19-2022, 02:40 AM
Free Member

Several hundred dollars per tape? Where can I find customers like this? I'll spend a whole week per tape, Damn!

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: lollo2 (10-19-2022)
10-19-2022, 03:38 AM
Free Member

Quote:
how much would you charge ... with full AVISynth restoration
That's priceless.

A basic restore just to hide head switching noise and some minor adjustements, should be free and included in the service.

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
10-19-2022, 03:49 AM
Free Member

Lingyi, You have absolutely no idea of the relationship and arrangement between the OP and the user. They may well have ben upfront and honest about the Betamax transfers. To categorise the OP as "preying", "pretending to know when they don't" and "dazzling them with BS" simply because they are asking questions is uncalled-for.

Quote:
That's priceless.
A basic restore just to hide head switching noise and some minor adjustements, should be free and included in the service.
And what do you charge for that, Lollo?
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: lollo2 (10-19-2022)
10-19-2022, 04:51 AM
Free Member

Quote:
And what do you charge for that, Lollo?
I am not doing any business on video capture and restoration. I just do it for my tapes and for collection purposes.

For a full optimal AviSynth restoration, generally weeks of work, many many experiments, and lot of expertize are required for a single capture; the results sometimes can be extended to a set of captures if they are similar (content based).

If you accept not the best but good result, once you are experienced with AviSYnth/VapourSynth, a day or two may be enough (your 10% for 90% theory )

Quote:
Lingyi, You have absolutely no idea of the relationship and arrangement between the OP and the user.
I completely agree.

While he's always willing to praise our amphitryon, this time blames the OP without evidences. Bad aptitude, maybe he wants to sponsor some other...

Quote:
Several hundred dollars per tape wouldn't be too much

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
10-19-2022, 09:29 AM
Free Member

Even the forensic lab probably doesn't charge the law firm that much per tape.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: lollo2 (10-19-2022)
10-19-2022, 09:34 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollo
your 10% for 90% theory
Yep, the law of diminishing returns, aka "good enough for contract workers" (or government workers, whatever is applicable)!
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: lollo2 (10-19-2022)
10-19-2022, 10:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
You get what you pay for, Lingyi. Out of interest, how much would you charge for the transfer of 100 beta tapes with full AVISynth restoration?
I don't see what that has to do with the conversation.

Quote:
Depends on the content and how much I want the best possible, up to the limits of the original. Several hundred dollars per tape wouldn't be too much.
FYI, depending on factors, this is accurate. Consumers rarely opt for this, but higher-end clients do, such as documentary filmmakers. (Why filmmakers? Well, it should be obvious. You can't broadcast crap. Quality of work has diminished some in past years, but the broadcasters will reject garbage. So if you want your documentary to be successful, you cannot be a cheapskate.)

Quote:
What erks me about people like the OP is that prey on people who don't know or worse, may pretend they know what they don't. If you don't know, "Dazzle and baffle them with bullsh*t!" so they'll buy what you're selling.
Correct. I've seen that for my entire career, predating video/studios, in several other fields. These people only stop their BS when the reputable members of the field call out their BS. Bad prevails when good is silent. Video conversion has a lot of quacks, and video hardware has a lot of cranks. They're abusive to customers, lie to them, etc -- especially elderly/retired customers. It's disgusting. And it's happens more in the past 6 or so years, since certain politicians have fostered bad behavior in society.

I'm all for somebody starting a business, getting education, starting a new job/career, etc. But it must be done right. Not a "video conversion service" using crap found at Goodwill, not somebody with a "Google degree" (though self education can sometimes be fine, if you vet sources, not just randomly watch Youtube mind vomit and assume it's accurate information). Proper tools, proper education, a business plan, and good luck! Don't halfass it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
That's priceless.
That's ridiculous. Anything past the capture (aka hardware work) is extra processing time (aka software work), and of course incurs extra costs. The base capture service gives you lossless/raw files. If the client wants something beyond that, costs go beyond that. Now, some processing may be nominal, but it's not free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Lingyi, You have absolutely no idea of the relationship and arrangement between the OP and the user. They may well have ben upfront and honest about the Betamax transfers. To categorise the OP as "preying", "pretending to know when they don't" and "dazzling them with BS" simply because they are asking questions is uncalled-for.
I don't assume things often, but I trust lingyi to not make unsubstantiated comments (as that's just not who he is). I've not had time to visit VH much lately, so I'm assuming the OP has already let that info slip out. At a glance, I don't see that thread. Perhaps it should be linked here?

I try to help our members as much as I can, but I refuse to spend my time helping somebody that (1) is charging money for work where they (2) got in over their head (3) by taking in a massive amounts of tapes. I suddenly feel used.

I have nothing against helping peers, or even non-peers, who charge money for services. A challenging tape, hardware suddenly blitzed out, etc, sure! But 100s of tapes, not knowing proper terms, not using using proper hardware or junk? Hell no. I have better things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Even the forensic lab probably doesn't charge the law firm that much per tape.
Then you would be surprised. A tape for $1k would even make me flinch. Par for the course. Do you have any idea what all is required for it? Licensing, training, software, etc. It blurs the lines of law enforcement with video. I had a chance to pursue this in the 2000s, at an impressive agency, but the studio job offer paid more, better hours, less commute, and so I went there.

10-19-2022, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...via-Windows-10

I don't assume things often, but I trust lingyi to not make unsubstantiated comments (as that's just not who he is). I've not had time to visit VH much lately, so I'm assuming the OP has already let that info slip out. At a glance, I don't see that thread. Perhaps it should be linked here?

I thank you for your confidence, but this time I did make a huge conclusion jump and I sincerely apologize to you, the OP and everyone here. I did so because this hit a major nerve for me, Beta, which I'm very passionate about, even though it's been years since I've tossed all my beloved machines.

The other thing I'm passionate about is people doing possibly subpar work on what may be others treasures which may be priceless to them. I'm obsessive/compulsive and like what I like and am often willing to pay what others may think is unreasonable.

I stand heavily bowed, especially to lordsmurf for my harsh unsubstantiated tirade against the OP.
The following users thank lingyi for this useful post: lollo2 (10-19-2022)
10-19-2022, 12:49 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
I stand heavily bowed, especially to lordsmurf for my harsh unsubstantiated tirade against the OP.
Yeah, a bit harsh on your part. But...

That said, I've always taken a dim view of offering a new service before you're really competent at it. I'd never take in 100s of Betamax tapes, because Betamax isn't my area of expertise. But that said, I've had people beg me to do certain tasks, at whatever price I wanted to charge. So if that's the scenario, it's sticky, proceed with caution. Don't screw it up.

This brings us full circle, back to the first post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr19th View Post
We convert VCR, Hi-8, mini cassette tapes,... to MP4 format by connecting the VCR or cameras to our computer via Pinnacle 21 - Dazzle connection. It's not the greatest, but has worked fine. We recently bought a Sony SL-HF550 Beta player and have not been able to receive any signal from it in the Pinnacle program. Normally, it auto detects the player. Do we need something else to get the connection?
By the way, we're using the output plugs white/red/yellow. We have the remote control for it and the user's manual.
Simple steps.
VirtualDub? Did you change the input to composite from s-video?

10-19-2022, 01:26 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I thank you for your confidence, but this time I did make a huge conclusion jump and I sincerely apologize to you, the OP and everyone here.
Well done lingyi, highly appreciated.

Quote:
Quote:
That's ridiculous. Anything past the capture (aka hardware work) is extra processing time (aka software work), and of course incurs extra costs. The base capture service gives you lossless/raw files. If the client wants something beyond that, costs go beyond that. Now, some processing may be nominal, but it's not free.
Really? If I was payed for capturing a VHS tape and I deliver a video with the head switching noise I would be ashamed. Not everybody is able to mask it, and it only requires one line of AviSynth script and a pass in VirtualDub. Five minute additional times, to deliver the raw capture and the final file. But that's me.

However, you are rigth; it is an extra (small) effort and not everybody is willing to do it for free.
10-19-2022, 01:37 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
and I deliver a video with the head switching noise I would be ashamed. Not everybody is able to mask it,
You're overlooking something.

The capture is lossless files (or uncompressed, or ProRes422). A person that doesn't know about masking (or more accurately, doesn't want to learn/understand/know) is the same person that can't do anything with lossless files. So it's moot.

The person who needs overscan masked is the same person that wants delivery formats, watch-ready.

An exception to this rule is when restoration is involved. Obviously masking is part of that costs-added process. That sort of work can be based on human hours, not runtimes, so the extra effort to mask is minutes, thus essentially free in that workflow.

The few times I did free extras to be nice, it was wasted effort. Not a thank you, not a go to hell, just nothing, no feedback.