Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-22-2023, 06:18 PM
Free Member

Hi everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to read and apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge. I'm a young filmmaker who recently purchased a SONY CCD TRV48e , mainly because I wanted to watch and digitize all of the old tapes that my Dad recorded back in the day but also because I've always loved how the footage looks.

I've spent many hours researching how to do this the correct way but it's all getting a bit confusing. I already have a VCR (Panasonic DMR-EX98V) and the camcorder, but I'm getting lost with the process and what further equipment I need to buy, as a lot of guides seem outdated or are recommending equipment that is no longer available. If someone is able to help me with a simple work-flow, or which TBC to purchase, or if I even need one with this VCR, as well as which capture card, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-28-2023, 07:24 AM
Free Member

Quote:
...because I've always loved how the footage looks.
Interesting comment. Back in the day 15 to 25 years ago many videographers were striving to get that "film look."

A few thoughts follow

Much of the gear you need for the best practicable capture of consumer analog video is legacy gear found on the used equipment market. And much of it is in uncertain condition, especially that found on auction sites. Buying there entails considerable risk of disappointment, and too many sellers are clueless or outright fabricators of condition claims. So you will be best served buying from known, reputable sources.

There are a number of acceptable makes/models, largely detailed in other threads here. Buy, use, sell is a common practice for short term projects. (as opposed to serious hobby work)
- s-video connections for analog video (component can work better but was not common for consumer gear)
- S-VHS and Hi-8 players with internal (line) TBC
- full frame TBC (needed for less then perfect tapes)
- quality capture card or USB device (most of the current crop of low cost easy capture devices are not quality)
- software capable of capture in lossless format

Capture in the native SD format
Edit and restore in the native SD format
Once the product reaches the final edit you can transcode to you intended distribution format

No point in capture in HD format, the material is bandwidth limited to SD. And HD file editing requires a lot more horsepower and storage.
There are options depending on your budget for both time and money and your ultimate goals/objectives.
03-28-2023, 08:19 PM
Free Member

@klajdi2123, you're almost all set. You have a decent video camera with a TBC and a VCR with S-video Out, which is a good sign it is a reasonable machine. It may/probably has a good stabiliser in it, if it is anything like the ealier Panasonic EZs.

All you need is a capture-card/digitiser. I have a few, but my go-to card is this:

IOData GV-USB2

Do not be put off by the Japanese instructions; there is a good English installation guide here.

It is bulletproof on Windows 10.

This device does not come with any DVD software, but the recommended technique is to capture into a lossless format/codec such as Lagarith or HUFFYUV, do your restoration/editing, and then output in MP4 for distribution.

For capturing software, the generally accepted program is Virtual Dub 1.9.11 but I find AmarecTV to be simpler and more robust.

As far as extra gear goes, a frame TBC will be recommended by the experts, but they generally cost a bomb.

If I were you, based on my limited experience at this, I would use your current gear, see what the result is, and if necessary, add a proper TBC. Telltale signs will be audio out-of-sync. Although, if you're an editor already, you may have the ability to resync audio when post-capture editing.

My thoughts only and I'm sure there will be others along to help/suggest.

Tags
vcr