05-30-2023, 06:07 PM
Free Member

I have a fairly used (but in great condition) Magnavox combo DVD player/VCR, model DV225MG9... I've had it for years, but recently fell into the rabbithole of VHS preservation/restoration. Would this be a good "starter set"; something I can use for the time being before investing in anything more expensive... or should I replace it, getting a possibly better, 'newer' player before I start any long-term projects?

Tracking is a bit messed up but it's always been that way, either from me messing with it when I was a kid or the player's been a bit fucky from the get-go.
I also do not own, but look to invest in, a TBC. I know this model has one but like I said--it messes up it's own tracking.

I've attached the model's specifications directly from the manual, I'm planning to use S-video output.

I'm hopefully planning to archive my VHS collection, as well as restore some lesser-known anime/tv show home-release tapes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg specs.jpg (68.6 KB, 5 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-05-2023, 05:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
It depends on what you mean by "starter".

But in general, no, not useful, not suggested.
In general, Magnavox was not great, the 2nd-tier brand of Philips, sometimes outright using outsourced label items from other low-end manufacturers like Funai. Magnavox hasn't made anything good since the early 90s.

Since the "tracking is messed up:, I'd stop using it entirely. That does not bode well.

Combo deck "s-video" is fake, then units are almost always internall wired composite. The DVd output is s-video, but the VHS output is degraded due to internal compositing.

In general, a good "low end" player are the non-TBC JVC S-VHS VCRs, especially certain models like 3800, 4800. But it depends on use. The unit I'd suggest for preview is not the same I'd suggest as a rewinder, nor the same I'd suggest for a ES10/15 marry.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-05-2023, 06:57 PM
Free Member

Thank you for the input, smurf!
In that case, what would you recommend? I'm considering a TBC-1000, there's a few sale posts here I like. What would you recommend going well with that as a full workflow?

Tags
beginner, magnavox, s-video, starter, tbc