digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home-video/)
-   -   Fuji Hi8 tapes snapped after rewind in Video8 camera? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home-video/8140-fuji-hi8-tapes.html)

DeejayProductions 07-29-2017 08:25 AM

Fuji Hi8 tapes snapped after rewind in Video8 camera?

I have been given 15 Video 8 tapes to transfer. However it turns out that 3 of them are Hi8. Unfortunately I didn't realise this until I'd already tried them in my standard Sony Handycam and got these weird black lines showing up (which another user has now informed me would happen if a Hi8 tape is played in a standard video8 machine).

However, the plot thickens as upon purchasing a Hi8 camera and prior to loading the tapes I noticed that all 3 of them are snapped after been rewound in the same Sony Handycam Video 8 camera (I knew at that point they wouldn't play properly but just wanted to rewind them in the machine ready for when I received the Hi8 camera).

Anyone heard of this? The tapes in question are all Fuji Hi8 MP PS-90 and I tried to play and rewind them initially using a Sony Handycam CCD-TR420E camera, didn't realise they had (all) broken, then purchased a Sony Handycam CCD-TR748E camera in order to capture the footage.

Incidentally none of the other tapes I've tried in the Video8 camera (which were all standard Video8 tapes) have ever broken.

lordsmurf 07-29-2017 11:06 PM

I've never heard of a Video8 camera damaging a Hi8 tape. Are you sure it wasn't already damaged?

DeejayProductions 08-21-2017 03:51 AM

Apologies for the late reply on this! As far as I know they weren't already damaged but I recently saw another post (I think by yourself) where you advised running a VCR for now longer than 6 hours or so and that any longer could cause damage to tapes? Would this also apply to cameras? I'm thinking that all three of these tapes were put into a hot machine at the end of a session and maybe that's what caused them to snap?

NJRoadfan 08-22-2017 09:45 PM

It could be the tape itself. Certain brands of VHS tapes had problems with leaders snapping, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened on 8mm tapes. Keep in mind that plastic gets brittle over time too, so that could be a factor as well.

DeejayProductions 08-23-2017 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJRoadfan (Post 50631)
It could be the tape itself. Certain brands of VHS tapes had problems with leaders snapping, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened on 8mm tapes. Keep in mind that plastic gets brittle over time too, so that could be a factor as well.

Yeah I haven't used many Fuji tapes. Oh well, I spliced in the end and they survived for capture so that was good :)

lordsmurf 12-13-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeejayProductions (Post 50612)
Apologies for the late reply on this! As far as I know they weren't already damaged but I recently saw another post (I think by yourself) where you advised running a VCR for now longer than 6 hours or so and that any longer could cause damage to tapes? Would this also apply to cameras? I'm thinking that all three of these tapes were put into a hot machine at the end of a session and maybe that's what caused them to snap?

That is possible, yes. But usually an overheating VCR/camera damages tapes in other ways.