digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home-video/)
-   -   Will GV-D200 capture/digitise Hi8 Digital8 tapes in Premiere Pro? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home-video/8207-gv-d200-capture.html)

Kiwi921 09-08-2017 04:07 PM

Will GV-D200 capture/digitise Hi8 Digital8 tapes in Premiere Pro?

I have hundreds of Sony Digital8 tapes and a fair number of Sony Hi8 Tapes. After a catastrophic disaster to my HDDs all my digitised versions of the material on these tapes were lost. So I now need to re-digitise the whole lot as quickly as possible as time has degraded the image and sound quality. The camera I recorded the interview material contained on these tapes and used to digitise them, the Sony DCR-TRV330, is now starting to die. After looking for a replacement option, I found the Sony GV-D200 which looks like it could help my workflow due to not having to turn the camera upside down each time I have to change the tape plus it would fit well on my desk next to all the other essential editing pherphials. So with all that said my question is:
Will a completely refurbished Sony GV-D200 enable me to digitise my Hi8 and Digital8 tapes using the latest version of Adobe Premiere Pro? I also have Final Cut Pro 6 which being an older version of editing software could be an option but I prefer using Premiere Pro.
Will I be able to preview what I am digitising and control the device within either of these editing programs? Will it digitise the tapes at a higher quality than using the now 17 year old Sony DCR-TRV330 camera? I use a Sony HVR-M15U to digitise my miniHDV tapes using Premiere Pro and I can control the deck and preview what I'm digitising. Plus, it does a far superior job as far as capturing the quality of video and audio as opposed to using the camera I used to record the material I am now digitising. Will the Sony GV-D200 give me that same ability when digitising Hi8 and Digital8 tapes?
I'm using the Sony HVR-M15U on a Mac Mini with a 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor and 4Gb of RAM and for a Mac with such low Specs it does as good a job as my late 2015 iMac. Will the Sony GV-D200 work as well on this Mac mini as the Sony HVR-M15U?
Any advice, answers or comments would be very much appreciated.

dpalomaki 09-14-2017 07:04 PM

Can't speak to current versions of Premiere or Mac gear. That said, I've had no problems capturing 8mm and Hi8 tapes to DV files via firewire (aka: iLink, IEEE-1394, DV) from a GV-D200 using EDIUS Pro NLE. I have device control via firewire from EDIUS Pro. This is with Win 7 using the legacy firewire driver. I was satisfied with the results.

Also, it offers analog video output, both s-video and composite, if you prefer to capture from an analog stream. And it offers device control via LANC as well. Whether or not you have device control will depend on the software you are using and how your hardware is configured. (LANC is Sony pro-consumer oriented device control protocol that was supported by a number linear editing systems, and camcorder remote controls.)

I cannot speak to its capture/image quality compared to the other gear you mentioned.

Quote:

Can't speak to current versions of Premiere ...
However, I can confirm that Device Control via IEEE-1394 does work for the GV-D200 with Premiere Pro CS5 on Windows 7.

lordsmurf 12-13-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi921 (Post 50774)
e as time has degraded the image and sound quality.

This is impossible for Digital8 (DV). DV is digital, and does not change.

Even analog didn't really change that drastically unless the tapes had significant storage damage.

The main problem with tapes that "degrade" is the newer viewing equipment is showing you the lowness of the original quality.