digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home-video/)
-   -   High quality Mini DV player option? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home-video/8370-high-quality-mini.html)

Mrwn 12-23-2017 03:59 AM

High quality Mini DV player option?

Hi,

My mini Dv player Panasonic NV-DV 2000 firewire output is malfunction, now im looking for replacement.
(the composite output is working but PQ terrible compare to firewire, I haven't test S-video).

So I have few questions:
1– I can use low cost mini Dv camcorder but is picture quality same as high quality mini DV player when using firewire output?
(I know analog make different, I wonder if same apply to digital firewire)

2– What options for high end mini DV player models, also support line resolution my DV tapes which width is 720 by 576 ?

Thank you very much for answering.

hodgey 12-26-2017 02:46 PM

The video and audio data on miniDV tapes is digital, so as long as the device is able to read the tape properly, the quality will be exactly the same.

As for players, when doing some miniDV transfers my personal experience was that a Sony dcr-pc100e camcorder did a better job at reading dodgy tapes than the more expensive Sony DHR-1000 and sony DSR-11(I think) miniDV decks, though that could just be down to random chance. On the other hand, an advantage with a VCR is that they are much easier to clean and service.

So TLDR: an expensive deck isn't going to give any better quality over firewire than a cheap camcorder.

SFtheGreat 02-04-2018 08:30 AM

Find DSR-2000AP, it can handle both SP and LP tapes.

lordsmurf 02-05-2018 12:18 AM

I'd stick with a camera. Too many complications on decks, for a newbie to capture/video.

I see a lot of nice Canon ZR series, or Alura series, cameras for $100-ish. I use those myself, bought them new over a decade ago. Back then, for shooting (nice low-light, etc), and now to convert.

I do have decks with DV ability, but still prefer the cameras first.

SFtheGreat 02-05-2018 12:32 AM

Might be true.

My deck seems not to care about any commands from Scenalyzer for example.
I have yet to test it for DV-LP. Maybe it will be better than camcorder.

Though decks might have better error corerrction rate and better A/D converter.

lordsmurf 02-05-2018 12:38 AM

I mostly use decks for DVCAM, which isn't MiniDV. No real choice there, aside from buy expensive camera.

SFtheGreat 02-05-2018 02:13 AM

DSR-2000AP is DVCAM deck, the only model that can play DV in LP mode. As well as DVCPRO25 and all 3 cassete sizes, I only need to make it listen to the software.

SFtheGreat 03-01-2018 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFtheGreat (Post 52529)
DSR-2000AP is DVCAM deck, the only model that can play DV in LP mode. As well as DVCPRO25 and all 3 cassete sizes, I only need to make it listen to the software.

Update, the deck has no read errors, not a single pink dot in SClive.