Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Was able to complete another batch of these units, these were more of a problem than normal, everything on these units has been restored to the best possible condition.

Understand it is hard to find good working AG 1980 VCR's. This service which is being provided to the community is rare. If you use Videohelp, Digitalfaq, or any video website and you are in to VHS capture you really need an AG 1980 as part of your collection.

If interested PM my account, everything is done via paypal.

Shipping rates differ per location

Base Rate per unit $550 + Shipping Rates

This batch took well over 3 months, order today before I run out of units. Don't know when the next batch will be completed.

If you own an AG 1980 and you need it repaired you can PM my account. It takes 1 to 3 months to restore these units.

Common Problems:

Dim display
Noise in the picture
Random streaks of noise
Blue noise in the picture
Humming noise from the machine
Color shifting and not able to hold a stable color
Faulty TBC
Power Supply Issues
Issues in the Video Card
Loading Problems
Fade to Black & White

Replacing capacitors is not easy Panasonic used a string of caps that do go bad over time, they have been replaced with new caps that are built to last a long long time.

Thanks,

Deter

PS I do have a few broken down units which are being used for extra parts, right now have components that are hard to find in rebuilding these machines.

PSS Because the post office of late has been terrible with damaging packages only using FedEx to ship with full insurance.

Your post has been approved. Please note that it may have been edited to comply with rules for posting in the marketplace. We hope you're able to sell your video/photos/computer item, or locate your want — all for free, and better than you could on eBay or Craigslist. Thanks!

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

This Deal will not last, this is the discounted rate. The cost of everything, from buying the unit, to fixing the machine is rather high.

The work on these machines takes a long time, you have very few shops in the United States who can fix these machines or even have the detailed knowledge of how to.

As stated many times, never found an AG-Unit that didn't need repairs. Yes it is a capacitor issue were each unit needs tons of caps replaced, but the work is more detailed than just replacing dried out leaked capacitors.
07-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deter View Post
As stated many times, never found an AG-Unit that didn't need repairs.
This needs to be reiterated. It is 100% true now.

All the "tested" and "works perfectly" units on eBay do not work. I bought several for about $200, hoping to avoid repairs of $300+. Didn't happen. All were returned as defective. On the best units, the PSUs emit noise, the TBCs change in darkness, the displays are dim. My bad units were better than their good units!

- If you have a bad unit, send it to deter or TGrant for repair.
- If you need to buy a unit, buy from deter or TGrant as well.

You'll waste a lot of time, maybe some money, fooling around with others. Southern Advantage has some good AG-1980 units, too, but cost more ($1000+). The deter/TGrant units are just as good.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

We had the chance to repair one of Lord Smurf's AG-1980 VCR's

Every unit as stated has problems, the age of the machine, and how they were made.

The Good News, we can fix them, and make them better than new.

This machine had white streaks in the picture, humming noises with in the machine and a few other issues.

We went in and rebuilt the video card, replaced the caps that were leaked or bulged which were causing the noises, we found one of the boards had serious damage, went in and basically rebuilt the board. The machine runs great.

All these VCR's we are selling will look similar to these examples of Lord Smurf's AG-1980

The examples are recorded to a JVC-MV5, in FR-80 mode, the files were ripped using, VOB2MPG v3, they are raw mpeg2 video files direct from the recorded DVD.

Attached Files
File Type: mpg A.mpg (87.55 MB, 90 downloads)
File Type: mpg B.mpg (46.95 MB, 56 downloads)
File Type: mpg C.mpg (88.17 MB, 60 downloads)
File Type: mpg D.mpg (68.63 MB, 43 downloads)

Last edited by deter; 08-04-2017 at 04:40 PM.
11-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

Only have one unit left, we are no longer repairing and restoring these types of machines at the current time.

If interested, PM our account and get the last of the refurbished AG-1980's, once this sells out you will have a hard time finding anything like this.
12-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

We are currently sold out of units...
10-02-2019, 12:06 AM
Free Member

The quality of the clip "C" is awesome. Do you still have any AG1980p left for sale? Please let me know. thank you
10-09-2019, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

Yes, I just sent you a PM, I have one left. This machine is absolutely perfect. It is the AG-1980P that has a better picture and board than the normal AG-1980. It is the best VCR. The machine I have left the heads and insides are basically new meaning never really used and all the caps and resistors were replaced. The machine is a 12 on a scale of 1-10.
10-14-2019, 05:39 PM
Free Member

Quote:
It is the AG-1980P that has a better picture and board than the normal AG-1980.
Hi deter, do you have any further insights on the differences between the two? This post suggests that the 'P' version is a different production run but whether it's an earlier or later run is not explained, also not explained is the meaning behind the "P" or what the differences are. Is there anything more you can teach us about the two from your experience testing and repairing them?
10-15-2019, 12:51 AM
Premium Member

The boards are different and they produce a different picture. Go buy two on Ebay, pull them apart and do reverse engineering. By trail and error figure what causes what. Than figure out how to re solder the boards. Pulling all the capacitors and resistors out. On one of the boards they are face soldered in to it. It is like a plate. The video cards? That is advanced repair. The AG-1970 does not even have a video card.

My guess is Panasonic released the VCR's than they came up with a better way of building them. Instead of changing the product line.

Only figured this out when I had like 5 to 7 machines and was testing them after repairs. Saw a big difference in the units. Yes I knew for a long time some of the boards were different you would have to be blind not to notice.

Only do like 2 or 3 machines a year and not really doing repair service anymore for the community it is too much work.
10-15-2019, 04:45 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Only do like 2 or 3 machines a year and not really doing repair service anymore for the community it is too much work.
Good, don't burn yourself out!