digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Marketplace (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/marketplace/)
-   -   [SOLD] For sale: Original green AVT-8710 TBC (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/marketplace/11414-sold-sale-original.html)

Aerith 01-18-2021 01:21 PM

[SOLD] For sale: Original green AVT-8710 TBC

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 12939
Attachment 12940

I bought an original green AVT-8710 TBC from lordsmurf in april last year to help digitize my VHS tapes. This process if now complete. Since there is only a limited amount of these devices still out there I think it is time that this unit finds a new home.

Note: This late production unit has a quirk where it hates JVC menus. Hence the "AG1980 only" sticker.

Price is $1540 and I am willing to send all over the world.

waloshin 01-23-2021 02:13 AM

Hates the menus such as the menu freezes ?

lordsmurf 01-23-2021 07:26 AM

Some freezing, sort of, but not entirely.

It was an odd latter production green TBC, one I'd not seen before, nor since. It's not a black AVT-8710, it doesn't have the same ghosting or frame sticking issue. It's similar to the flawed BVTBC, but nowhere near as bad (as BV has issues at stop/start and pause, not just JVC menus). At first, I thought some shyster had put a black AVT-8710 in a green case, but that wasn't it.

The JVC menus are simply unstable. That's because JVC menus are not 100% compliant NTSC or PAL. While that usually means the TBC will be unstable elsewhere, that just wasn't the case here. I ran long burn-in tests on this unit, expecting to see a flaw somewhere, but did not. I tried to make it choke and gag on VHS footage, like a black AVT-8710 does, but it chugged along like a green unit.

It was flawless on my then-working AG-1980, and likely other Panasonics.

Aerith 01-23-2021 11:12 AM

Thank you for the answer, lordsmurf.

For my part, I can say that the TBC worked fine while capturing some thirty VHS tapes with my Blaupunkt RTV 966 VCR (rebranded Panasonic NV-HS 1000) and AJA Kona LSe card.

Aerith 07-14-2021 10:57 PM

New price is: $1190

captainserial 07-18-2021 04:28 PM

Is this still usable with a JVC VCR, just without menus? Would bypassing it when accessing menus make sense, or am I going to be in the menus so much that it would be a pain? I am considering this for an analog to digital consumer conversion workflow.

Aerith 07-19-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainserial (Post 78665)
Is this still usable with a JVC VCR, just without menus? Would bypassing it when accessing menus make sense, or am I going to be in the menus so much that it would be a pain? I am considering this for an analog to digital consumer conversion workflow.

I do not have a JVC VCR to test myself, but that is my understanding. As long as you stay out of the menus it should work fine. lordsmurf tested this unit in particular at great length and he mentions that it shows no issues with VHS footage.

I'll PM him and ask him to share his experience.

lordsmurf 07-19-2021 06:09 PM

The JVC menu/background creates a "lag" on the video signal, so any start/stop of the deck into this unit will have bad signal output for up to a minute while it resyncs to the video. You further run risk of in-video issues wherever the JVC background re-shows itself. Some JVCs can have background disable (blue screen = OFF), so it would avoid in-video issues.

There's a reason that I labeled it "AG-1980 only" (but other Panasonics should be fine).

Aerith 09-29-2021 11:00 PM

New price is: $1090

Aerith 01-20-2022 11:21 AM

This item has been sold.