digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Marketplace (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/marketplace/)
-   -   Wanted: MiniDV camcorder with FireWire (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/marketplace/12648-wanted-minidv-camcorder.html)

cbehr91 03-23-2022 12:31 PM

Wanted: MiniDV camcorder with FireWire

I'm looking for a Mini DV camcorder with FireWire for copying tapes. Preferably Sony, but I'll accept anything that works really. Not willing to gamble on anything from eBay yet, so I'm seeking one here. Thanks!

waloshin 01-10-2023 07:40 PM

I have a Canon that works well.

Justheretostudy 01-11-2023 04:55 AM

I'm in Sydney Australia, if you're also in Australia, I have a Panasonic NV-GS11 Camcorder

cbehr91 01-11-2023 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justheretostudy (Post 88560)
I'm in Sydney Australia, if you're also in Australia, I have a Panasonic NV-GS11 Camcorder

I'm in the USA.

Justheretostudy 01-11-2023 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbehr91 (Post 88569)
I'm in the USA.

Ah, I'm sorry, best of luck anyway

BarryTheCrab 01-12-2023 06:05 AM

There is an electronic refurbishment/sales company that gets good reviews, not sure if I can post here so check your PM.

dpalomaki 01-12-2023 06:56 AM

In your quest keep in mind that many HDV camcorders can also do MiniDV; e.g., Canon Vixa HV20 / HV40 series.

Beware of any units sold "as is", for parts, untested, or without the full kit of accessories including chargers, power supplies, manuals, and remotes. (Missing components can indicate careless or uncertain ownership.) Also, some makes/models had sensitive firewire ports that could be fried with careless connections so testing before buying and using reliable sources is essential.

lordsmurf 01-12-2023 07:41 AM

Also be extremely careful of "electronic refurbishment/sales companies", especially on eBay. Too many shysters consider "wiping down the outside of the unit with a wet rag" to be refurbishment.

There is especially a real horse's ass known as "Tracktown Treasures" that is to be avoided at all costs. The epitome of a seller that knows nothing of gear, and is really just a recycler. No care in shipping, no understanding of the products, and a horrid attitude to go with it.

Just be careful.

I'd much prefer to buy a camera from an individual, one who rarely used it, and is complete with everything, sometimes even the camera bag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbehr91 (Post 83657)
Mini DV camcorder with FireWire for copying tapes. Preferably Sony,

Why Sony?
Canon DV cameras were superior.

cbehr91 01-13-2023 06:33 AM

I actually just returned a Sony HDR-HC9 I bought on eBay for around $90. It worked perfectly except the FireWire port was burnt out (a common issue). Shame because the cam was in great shape. The battery even held a charge like it was new.

(I don't do much on eBay these days, but when I do I make sure the seller accepts returns).