Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-27-2022, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Background of player
I purchased the JVC HR-DVS3-U from Quebec City in March 2022. (I also purchased its sister, the JVC SR-VS30). The sellers said he bought them from a school. Not sure if this was a college or high school. The units were very clean inside when I opened them up. I carefully followed the cleaning procedure with 100% rubbing alcohol and special swabs for electronics. No dirt came off. So, the unit was very clean and in retrospect there was no need for me to try to clean it. I was just really excited because I had been looking for a line-TBC for so long and wanted to treat it right.

Features
It has a line-TBC, stabilization, etc. It also has a place for MiniDV tapes, but the consensus is that it is inferior to MiniDV recorders. So, I’ve never tested it and don’t recommend using it.

Functioning
I was using it as my main SVHS until it “ate” a tape. By that, I mean that the tape bunched up inside the player and when the tape ejected, some of the tape was still inside. I was able to remove the tape. I have tested it since, with the lid off, and I haven’t reproduced the problem. See the video for a demo.

Innards
See the photos and video for what the inside of the unit looks like. If you need even more closeups let me now. if you watch the long video showing what happens inside when I press Stop, FF, RW and so on, maybe you will notice something important if something is not working as it should.

Video transfer
The unit does the job. See the video file for a comparison of a transfer from a non-TBC JVC player with the DVS3-U. Note that in the non-TBC footage, I processed it and deinterlaced it. In the second footage, I did not process it, apart from putting it in Premiere and exporting as mp4. The point of the sample is to show that the TBC in the DVS3-U does a good job of fixing the problems with a nearly 30-year old VHS tape. Here is a video showing a transfer from the player to my Windows XP computer with the ATI 9800XT capture card and VirtualDub.

Sale
The cost of the DVS3-U is $550 USD (or $715 CAD) plus shipping. The reason the price is lower than the same model on ebay is because of the issue with eating tapes. I can’t find any VCR repair shops near me to advise, so if there is one near you, perhaps they can make the necessary adjustments.

Payment in Canada by Interac e-transfer is preferred. Payment from US by Paypal, Wise or similar to be discussed.

Conclusion
If you have more questions I am happy to answer below, or at my username at Gmail. As I have the near identical sister unit, and a non-TBC SVHS player as a backup, I can't really justify hanging on to this one any longer. I've mostly completed my transfer of VHS tapes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220826_145028.jpg (47.1 KB, 1 downloads)
File Type: jpg 20220826_145024.jpg (49.7 KB, 1 downloads)
File Type: jpg 20220826_144959.jpg (100.4 KB, 1 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

Tags
jvc, svhs, tbc