Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-19-2022, 05:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
All VCR backlogs now cleared, working on some decks again.

PM if interested.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-29-2023, 05:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Listing updated.
Have a few nice items again.
All gear backlogs clear, or soon to be clear. (PM/email if you need an update.)

02-04-2024, 04:47 PM
Free Member

Good evening, LordSmurf,

I've been looking for the JVC SR-VS10 deck but I'm not sure if this is the NTSC model or the PAL one
Anyway, the VS10s I found on ebay seem to be available only in USA. VCR shop does not have this deck.

Could you assist me in finding a good refurbished version of the PAL version of this deck. Many thanks in advance.
02-04-2024, 05:15 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugatomsk9 View Post
Good evening, LordSmurf,

I've been looking for the JVC SR-VS10 deck but I'm not sure if this is the NTSC model or the PAL one
Anyway, the VS10s I found on ebay seem to be available only in USA. VCR shop does not have this deck.

Could you assist me in finding a good refurbished version of the PAL version of this deck. Many thanks in advance.
Why are you seeking that exact model?

Sometimes I have PAL VCRs available, though more often opt to make workflows instead. In general, I import PAL decks for N./S. American users (USA, Canada, Mexico, South America countries), and run it through my detailed refurb process.

If needed, I'll even acquire, re-test and re-refurb (if needed) decks from VCRShop, as the Atlantic overseas voyage can be rough on decks at times. A double-refurb is not a bad thing! I've had a few NA users ask me to do that. And some SA members have had me act as their shipping proxy, direct EU>SA was less desirable, with the unit getting a quick stop on my workbench.

Noting this a marketplace listing, not a discussion thread...

More often that not, looking for specific recommended models of JVC S-VHS will get you in trouble.

It's now the mid 2020s, and these were early 00s VCRs. So all are now 20+ years old. Condition matters more than the exact model. As long as you're getting a unit in good/excellent condition, from the suggested VCR list, you'll generally be fine. It's mostly when you have -C tapes that model is extremely important (to avoid infamous "eating" issues). And on the topic of -C, noting that Panasonic AG-1980 is not a fun unit to own, and 2x+ as costly to own (not just buy, but the upkeep is brutal on the wallet).

Yes, each specific model has (or rather "had") strengths and weaknesses. But some of that was due to OEM condition and tolerances. Overall, those have long since faded. Even my own immaculately cared for gear, as bought new in the 90s/00s, is not as perfect as it once was. The nuanced varation of (for example) the HR-S9800U vs. the SR-V10U is overshared by the 9800 DD (dynamic drum) issues. Yes, that 9800 played better in the 00s, but both are now comparable, and then the 9800 is probably actually worse overall due to the fail rate. But I'd take a good 9800 over a lesser condition V10 any day.

Do not buy VCRs from eBay, it's a nightmare. Some of the sellers there are crazy people, and I have several more insane submitted stories to share soon.

Offhand, I'm not aware of the SR-VS10 having an SR-VS10E (PAL) version. I could look it up (this site, or Google) to verify, but again it just really does not matter. VCRShop has enough decent PAL decks, and I prefer the 7600-7711 line myself anyway. I've had V10E, VS30E, 796x/896x, 76xx/77xx, and a few others. The VS10 would mostly be V10E (comparable) with the worthless DV deck attached.

02-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Free Member

I admit I didn't check the list. But I read somewhere in this forum that you had praised the VS10 model. Maybe I misinterpreted.

Considering the dynamic drum failure that may happen to those JVC decks, which would be a good all-around PAL JVC decks with good mono audio playback quality (like my broken FJ626) for my oldest tapes?

I must add, though, that this choice is under the assumption that using the s-video output of a SCART to composite/S-video adapter on a VHS deck does NOT have the same video quality of a straight S-video output of a S-VHS deck (considering the same VHS tape). Is this correct?
02-04-2024, 06:36 PM
Site Staff | Video

What's even more confusing is how only certain model DDs are failing, and others are not. And then those that haven't failed, may never fail, but then there are signs that must be looked for to make that determination. It's lengthy, and not something I have time to share. And then it doesn't do most people any good anyway, it's the sort of forward-looking info that helps us refurb'rs, or backwards looking for owners to know why it broke (aka, trivia only).

I've never had love for the VS10. The V10, yes, for sure, at one time. But it's really fiddly these days. I have to really deep dive V10 tests, certain issues with motors, lube, head wear narrowing playback, etc. Anytime you read my posts for 15-25 years ago, sometimes even 10 years ago (2014 as of now), you should check with me for a current status on that exact hardware.

I never suggest adapters. I only use decks with s-video out, to a capture card with s-video in. Those adapters are mostly garbage, lowers signal/image quality.

Mono audio is one of those areas where the JVC decks can vary more, like -C tapes. In general, there is some debate on which PAL models are best/worst, and I would suggest searching the forum for those past discussions. I know hodgey has made comments, but so have some others. I don't really deal with many mono PAL tapes, but I've not had issues with realigning my 7600 when needed. In general, the older JVC decks handle mono better than the newer (cheaper made) plastic series decks. So, in that case, I still prefer 7600.

02-05-2024, 08:35 AM
Free Member

I guess I'll look for the 7600, then.

But how much quality difference are we talking about regarding the SCART adapter?
02-05-2024, 09:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugatomsk9 View Post
But how much quality difference are we talking about regarding the SCART adapter?
It's not just about quality, but overall usability. Most fail altogether. It's simply a signal path that can be entirely avoided. Asking for an SCART adapter is begging for a middleman, and an incompetent one at that.

The best VCRs for VHS transfers/digitize are the S-VHS decks, with line TBC, that have s-video output.