digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Marketplace (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/marketplace/)
-   -   For sale: Sony EVO-9850 Hi8 video player [SOLD] (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/marketplace/9224-sale-sony-evo.html)

twRage96 12-12-2018 03:22 PM

For sale: Sony EVO-9850 Hi8 video player [SOLD]

5 Attachment(s)
Asking $850 + $50 shipping to lower 48 US, international shipping may be able to be arranged for a bit more

This is a very nice condition unit! It works well in my testing, I haven't experienced any error codes, everything seems to work as it should - I only have the equipment to test recording/playback, but all that worked nicely, no codes - it was being used rarely at a university lab, I actually used it when I attended there a couple years ago - used maybe 10x a year at most. Physical condition is good, as shown in photos. All buttons, dials, and knobs feel very responsive. Overall, this is a super good condition piece for its age, you'd be hard pressed to find one this nice elsewhere. What you see is what you get, I don't have a remote or any accessories for it - if you want me to throw in a power cord, let me know and I can, free of cost. Item sold as-is, if you have any questions about the unit, please don't hesitate to ask. For both of our protection, I am going to require a signature upon receiving the item to ensure safe delivery, as this is a valuable item. Thanks for looking, I look forward to hearing from you! - Tyler.

-- merged --

As the title states, I have a Sony EVO-9850 for sale. Overall condition is pretty nice, it was being used (rarely) in a university lab near me and they recently discontinued working with Hi8 stuff (though they hadn't done much with it in the past several years) so they liquidated their assets. I'm asking 900 bucks for it, plus 60 to ship via USPS to anywhere in the 48 US - may be able to do international, but shipping would be more. I'm going to insure the package for what it's worth and require a signature upon delivery to ensure it gets there safe and sound, and for both of our protections. I currently have the item for sale up on Ebay, but I also wanted to post it in a location more central to us people interested in stuff like this. If you do want to buy it direct from me and not via Ebay, that would be cool (saves me 10% in Ebay fees), but if you want the protections/experience of Ebay, that's cool too. - For photos and other description, here is my Ebay listing for the item - http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...m/302955822266 - I don't currently have any way of testing recording (tested and validated viewing/scrubbing of video), but I attended the university 2 years ago and got to use it, no errors were ever tripped and it worked flawlessly. I'll be here to answer any questions you might have, and I look forward to hearing from you! Hope this beautiful machine can go to someone in this community passionate enough to enjoy it. Thanks, Tyler.

-- updated --

Price reduced to $800 + ship. Let me know if you have any questions.

latreche34 12-22-2018 02:17 PM

You might be lucky if you put it on ebay, The average sold price for this model is $250 according to ebay search, The consumer decks tend to be more expensive than the pro ones.

twRage96 12-22-2018 04:20 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. I also have it up on ebay, just wanted to expand my reach here as well. All the 9850s for sale for $250-300 are throwing error codes or non-functioning at all, for parts or salvage. The product I am selling works flawlessly, it has none of the electrical issues that are prevalent in this model. Most other fully-functioning ones on ebay are up there for 999, with a refurbished one for 1499. I have reduced the price to 849.99+ship on ebay, and due to no fees, I can offer it for 799.99 on the forum here at this time. Thanks!

lingyi 12-22-2018 09:04 PM

I'm curious as to whether repair on a non-working machine would cost more than the $550 premium you're asking.

A quick search shows that Error 90 is likely http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...vo-9850-a.html bad caps or a bad connection to one of the boards, a low cost DIY fix for someone with good desoldering/soldering skills.

Error 20 seems to as simple as bad caps (again low cost to fix either DIY or pro), or possible bad transport assembly probably requiring professional repair.

In either case, I don't see it costing more than $550.

Also, just because the machine is/was working fine for you, it's still prone to caps failing at any time because of it's age. I posted on another forum that I've had VCRs and other electronics sitting unused and unmoved for years failing when I tried to use them.

IMHO, you should lower your price to a $100-150 premium over a non-working one. As with everything on eBay, asking price is often far beyond what something is actually sold for. A quick check showed no machines sold for over $190.00

Edit: Also, I'm personally cautious about someone willing to cut their eBay price (I realize there's listing costs) without ever having listed their item on eBay. Doubly cautious about someone who joined this forum, apparently, just to sell their item.

Edit: I see you said you've posted it on eBay, though your link doesn't take me directly to your listing. Ahhh, I see it now!

latreche34 12-23-2018 02:08 AM

Anyone who would need a Hi8 deck is most likely a DIY guy trying to capture his own tapes or a semi pro on a budget, But they usually just buy a camcorder for $50 with nice playback features like TBC. The only potential buyer for it as far as I can think is a professional who wants to start a video capture business. Anyway good luck.

JPMedia 12-23-2018 10:23 AM

Why would a professional who wants to start a capture business not simply use a camcorder? Also a camcorder can be used as a camcorder.

lingyi 12-23-2018 11:16 AM

Re-read the OP's first post. He/she probably got it free from his/her former college and hasn't done any testing other than confirming that it doesn't show any error codes and saw an easy way to make money on something there's little to no demand for at the price asked.

latreche34 12-23-2018 03:54 PM

There is nothing wrong with making money, We are just trying to give him tips on how to sell it given the circumstances of the current vintage market situation. Speaking of making money, When you see some audiofool knuckle heads buy RCA audio cables for $3000 everything is possible, When the snake oil seller makes $2995 profit of a such cable from them I don't feel sorry for them. Not implicating that the OP is doing the same thing but this is a free market and as long as the seller and buyer agree to the transaction terms that's all what matters.

twRage96 12-23-2018 11:29 PM

I picked it up on an online auction from my former university - I used it there (was eMedia major) and it worked great. They discontinued teaching hi8 this year so it went up for auction and I got it at what I thought was a reasonable price. Actually contacted the professor pre-sale who ran the lab and he told me it still works flawlessly, they just didn't need it and they're legally obligated to sell it to the public. I sell a lot of stuff on ebay, and figured I'd throw it up at a bit under what other fully working units were up there for. I've seen a couple people on other forums that sold theirs (although in 2016, market could be down now) for 600 bucks plus shipping, so I assumed I was in the ballpark, looking at tested ebay units as well. I'm not trying to scam anyone, and the unit truly is nice, these machines just aren't in my field of knowledge so I wanted to get connected with people who are passionate about this stuff, which is why I listed here as well as ebay. If the market is pretty soft on these units now, that's OK, I was merely pricing off of what I saw good working ones going for. I appreciate you guys giving me a heads up that I was priced high. I knocked a little off the price, as I have a watcher (assuming it isn't one of you guys lol) to see if I can get a bite. You think 450-500 is attainable with the current market for a nice piece? I'm probably going to continually lower the price in increments until more interest on the listing arises. Thanks again for all the info.

latreche34 12-24-2018 01:12 PM

For items that I'm not sure about the demand for them I put them up for auction with some starting price and let the internet decide.

twRage96 12-27-2018 12:50 PM

Update: Sold the 9850 yesterday for 650+60 shipping on ebay. I guess if any of you guys are good at replacing caps, fixing them and selling them might be a nice little side income. Thanks again for the tips.

(not sure how to mark as sold on the thread)