digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   Store optical discs in room with dehumidifier? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/10956-store-optical-discs.html)

gamemaniaco 09-02-2020 05:05 PM

Store optical discs in room with dehumidifier?

the air dehumidifier device with compressor used in the room is good for long-term storage of DVD and MDISC optical media?

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/error.gif

lordsmurf 09-02-2020 05:55 PM

You need to attached images to forum posts directly, not hotlink.

Yes, dehumifiers help. That's what is done at various libraries and archival facilities. However, be sure to select the proper level of humidity, not enough humidity can be as damaging as too much humidity.

gamemaniaco 09-02-2020 06:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 71205)
You need to attached images to forum posts directly, not hotlink.

Yes, dehumifiers help. That's what is done at various libraries and archival facilities. However, be sure to select the proper level of humidity, not enough humidity can be as damaging as too much humidity.

Here are pictures of the dehumidifier that uses a compressor and
Green gas is good or bad for CD and DVD and electronic devices?contains options 40, 50, 60%

lordsmurf 09-02-2020 06:18 PM

I'm not a dehumidifier expert, but those seem good to me. At very least, I'd assume a competent unit for a small/home space. That appears to be not too small, not too large.

For something like this, I'd read up on dehumidifier models at Consumer Reports.

gamemaniaco 09-05-2020 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 71208)
I'm not a dehumidifier expert, but those seem good to me. At very least, I'd assume a competent unit for a small/home space. That appears to be not too small, not too large.
For something like this, I'd read up on dehumidifier models at Consumer Reports.

I bought this dehumidifier but I know that they heat the air but I don't know if it heats too much or it heats little, if it is too much it is harmful and electronic and optical discs

To conserve CD and DVD optical discs The dehumidifier is good because it reduces and controls humidity, but it increases the temperature of the environment by 2 or 3 degrees, will this temperature increase harm the conservation of optical discs and also electronic devices? without the dehumidifier here where I live the temperature varies from 30 to 35ºC

lordsmurf 09-05-2020 04:15 AM

Then also buy an air conditioner.

gamemaniaco 09-05-2020 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 71248)
Then also buy an air conditioner.

My room is not completely closed hermetic to use air conditioning
I have to choose between dehumidifier or air conditioner because both are expensive and consume a lot of energy
I also can't break the wall to install the air conditioner

What do you recommend me? I'm confused but I thought about the dehumidifier but it increases 2 or 3 degrees of temperature it makes a lot of difference in the conservation of the DVD and electronics

portable air conditioning also has a very large size and does not have a reservoir

lordsmurf 09-05-2020 04:23 AM

For small spaces, portable air conditioners are about $275.

I actually looked into this, for cooling an outdoor workshop, during the hottest spring/fall days. (Summer is way too hot to even bother out there, unless at night.) Still a thought, 2021 expense.

gamemaniaco 09-09-2020 05:16 PM

my room measures 37m3 is not completely closed, the air conditioning has a large size to put in the room the dehumidifier measures 56x37x26 with the air conditioner does not have a reservoir

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 71250)
For small spaces, portable air conditioners are about $275.

I actually looked into this, for cooling an outdoor workshop, during the hottest spring/fall days. (Summer is way too hot to even bother out there, unless at night.) Still a thought, 2021 expense.

my room measures 37m3 is not completely closed, the air conditioning has a large size to put in the room the dehumidifier measures 56x37x26cm with the air conditioner does not have a reservoir

What is the recommendation?

Is it true or false that dehumidifying devices are used in filing rooms even though they know that dehumidifiers can increase the room temperature by 2 or 3 degrees

Formica 09-09-2020 07:46 PM

The dehumidifier used in a filing room is not in the filing room. It is part of the centralized HVAC system. The filing room will be the same temperature as the other rooms.

gamemaniaco 09-10-2020 04:21 AM

the room temperature without the dehumidifier is 29-32 degrees with high humidity with the dehumidifier the temperature has an increase of 2 to 3 degrees and low humidity, is this good for filing?

BarryTheCrab 09-10-2020 08:10 PM

What color is the dehumidifier?

Formica 09-10-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryTheCrab (Post 71367)
What color is the dehumidifier?

January 15th.

gamemaniaco 09-11-2020 05:42 PM

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/error.gif

Formica 09-11-2020 05:44 PM

Plus 300 degrees.

gamemaniaco 09-11-2020 05:45 PM

no, 300 plus is model name

lordsmurf 09-12-2020 06:11 AM

This thread gave me some early morning chuckles. :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamemaniaco (Post 71351)
the room temperature without the dehumidifier is 29-32 degrees with high humidity with the dehumidifier the temperature has an increase of 2 to 3 degrees and low humidity, is this good for filing?

Good? Probably not.

Read about humidifiers at archivist and librarian sites. Most probably just discuss RH% and temps, and that's what you need to know.

The humidifiers in archive facilities will not be *in* the room, but rather built in, so that heat generation is vented outside. This is no different than A/C at broadcast video facilities, or datacenters. You don't vent heat into the same room being cooled. A de-humidifier will be part of A/C aka HVAC, as you don't want to vent cold air back out.

That said, I've had humidifiers / dehumidifiers in my home. But I also have A/C and heat regulation.

gamemaniaco 09-12-2020 06:13 AM

In filing rooms do they use these dehumidifiers similar to my device?

Formica 09-12-2020 09:05 AM

That exact device is used in the Library of Congress to store the original Declaration of Independence.

gamemaniaco 10-08-2020 08:15 PM

Is putting the dehumidifier to keep humidity at 60% good for long life of DVD optical discs? Is 60% RH good for DVD optical discs?