digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   Openings in DVD cases allow light to enter? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/11247-openings-dvd-cases.html)

gamemaniaco 12-05-2020 07:37 AM

Openings in DVD cases allow light to enter?

3 Attachment(s)
In these openings of the arrows does light and UV enter, which impairs the storage and durability of optical DVD discs?

ehbowen 12-08-2020 12:30 PM

I'm beginning to think that GM has visions of archaeologists excavating the jungle in the 225th century A.D., and coming across his trove of home movies from the 1980s, all still perfectly preserved on M-Discs.

Now, if they can only find a working Blu-ray player....

lordsmurf 12-11-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamemaniaco (Post 73191)
In these openings of the arrows does light and UV enter, which impairs the storage and durability of optical DVD discs?

Yes.

Those DVD cases were intended to have an artwork insert. Even then, some light passed. So put the cases in a box, so light is 99%+ blocked for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehbowen (Post 73263)
Now, if they can only find a working Blu-ray player....

That will be the problem, someday. There are many media formats that have scarce players. It become cost prohibitive to extract the contents, even for large corporations and governments.

gamemaniaco 12-11-2020 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i didn't find any black dvd case 100% everyone has this opening behind and does it allow the light to reach the data layer reducing the useful life of the DVD? you saw the pictures?

-- merged --

i will buy and store a drive DVD recorder and MDisc DVD i don't know which one to buy to play in the future when they stop being manufactured

the opening in the DVD case shown in the photos is located in the center of the DVD disc, in that region does it have stored data that may have some wear due affected to light?

ehbowen 12-12-2020 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 73308)
Yes.
That will be the problem, someday. There are many media formats that have scarce players. It become cost prohibitive to extract the contents, even for large corporations and governments.

No kidding. I used to subscribe to American Cinematographer, and they had an article about obsolete video formats. Seems some company in the 1960s had come up with a new design of video tape recorder, and one of the networks broadcast some big special TV show and recorded it on the new VTR...and ONLY on that VTR. Shortly thereafter the fledgling manufacturer went bankrupt and exited the business...leaving the network with reels of tape which could never be played again.

Of course, being cinematographers their preferred solution was color-separated film stock masters. "All you will need is light and a lens..."

gamemaniaco 12-19-2020 08:13 AM

the opening in the DVD case shown in the photos is located in the center of the DVD disc, in that region does it have stored data that may have some wear due affected to light?

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/atta..._ac_sy400_-jpg

lordsmurf 12-20-2020 02:14 AM

Center of disc has no data, so no. But light can refract outside, inner part of disc affected by light. In theory.

gamemaniaco 12-20-2020 03:51 AM

In that case the light will touch the part of the center of the disc and refract throughout the interior of the black case reaching the data layer of the DVD? this is horrible

please also answer my dvd drive topic

ehbowen 12-20-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamemaniaco (Post 73454)
In that case the light will touch the part of the center of the disc and refract throughout the interior of the black case reaching the data layer of the DVD? this is horrible

Gamemaniaco, in all seriousness, have you ever considered storing your important archival DVDs in a box...and closing the lid?

Here's what I use for my collection of purchased DVDs: Snap-N-Store Media Storage Boxes. I'm sure you can find something similar...maybe even something from the very same factory in China marketed under another local name?

gamemaniaco 12-20-2020 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have this box, I keep the DVD discs inside black Amaray cases and I keep the cases inside a closed cardboard box but some cases are in an inclined vertical position and this part of the case with the opening is exposed but I don't know if some light comes in but I'll post a picture of the box with marking in the position that the dvd case is located

ehbowen 12-20-2020 09:13 AM

GM, the light is not your problem. You're spending too much time worried about a bug when there's an elephant in the room...as you've noted in the past, it's your heat and humidity. Buy an air conditioner and use it; keep your discs cool and dry. That's 99.99% of your problem; the light isn't even worth worrying about...especially for discs in cases inside that cardboard box.

gamemaniaco 12-21-2020 04:19 AM

I don't have this box, I keep the DVD discs inside black Amaray cases and I keep the cases inside a closed cardboard box but some cases are in an inclined vertical position and this part of the case with the opening is exposed but I don't know if some light comes in but I'll post a picture of the box with marking in the position that the dvd case is located

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/atta...339039_1gg-jpg

-- merged --

Can I put white bags inside the cardboard box to protect the DVD cases and blankets in an upright position? os cases not inside bags white bag causes light problem inside the cardboard box that affects the disks

lordsmurf 12-24-2020 06:20 PM

RE: white bags

Can you? Yes.
Should you? No.

Again, bags = moisture retention. And moisture = bad, for optical media longevity..

gamemaniaco 12-24-2020 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the DVD cases are not stored inside the bags I just crumpled some bags and put them inside the cardboard box so they could support the DVD cases in an upright position inside the box without the bags, the cases are loose inside the box if they move, can this be done?

I made an example, in the box the place where I put the DVD cases is in the same place where this bottle is, next to it has the bags, can I store this way without problems for the useful life of the discs?

-- merged --

doubt opinion my question above I made an example, in the box the place where I put the DVD cases is in the same place where this bottle is, next to it has the bags, can I store this way without problems for the useful life of the discs?

lordsmurf 12-28-2020 04:17 AM

No to bags.
Add more cardboard if needed.

gamemaniaco 12-28-2020 04:32 AM

I don't have cardboard to fill the box I only have plastic bags and I put them inside the box to make volume fill the space and keep the cases in an upright position

this is very serious and will damage the storage of DVDs?
will there be serious moisture problems inside the box?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...yJSdZXVTQqTkyw

gamemaniaco 12-30-2020 06:40 AM

is it possible for me to keep these low density polyethylene plastic bags inside the cardboard box without retaining moisture and impairing the storage and conservation of the casesbox and DVD discs? the cases are not inside the bags but around or on the side