digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   Temp and humidity for storage optical media? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/11759-temp-humidity-storage.html)

gamemaniaco 04-18-2021 10:27 AM

Temp and humidity for storage optical media?

For long-term storage of optical DVD / MDisc discs and electronic devices is it better to store at a humidity of 65-70% at a temperature of 31-32ºC or at a lower humidity of 55-60% and at a high temperature of 32-33ºC? my dehumidifier device cannot keep temperature and humidity low at the same time

lordsmurf 04-18-2021 03:16 PM

You're essentially screwed.

Both are still high humidity, high heat. The argument becomes academic, and overall moot.

31-33ºC is the mid 80s ºF. Way too hot.
And then anything over 50%RH will be a problem for discs.

gamemaniaco 04-18-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 76848)
You're essentially screwed.

Both are still high humidity, high heat. The argument becomes academic, and overall moot.

31-33ºC is the mid 80s ºF. Way too hot.
And then anything over 50%RH will be a problem for discs.

I can’t do more because the average temperature in my city is between 30-35ºC and I don’t have air conditioning

between these two options which would bring less risk to DVD and M-Disc optical discs? humidity of 65-70% at a temperature of 31-32ºC or at a lower humidity of 55-60% and at a high temperature of 32-33ºC?

which is worse for DVD discs, high temperature or high humidity? Does DVD tolerate higher temperature (33ºC) or high humidity (60-70%)?

-- merged --

for dvd and mdisc optical media is worse humidity or heat? which one does she tolerate more?

timtape 04-22-2021 11:19 PM

It's also important to protect optical media from light, and from regular *changes* in temperature such as day/night/day/night cycles. Keep the media in a dark space inside the house in a place protected from the temperature swings outside.

lordsmurf 04-23-2021 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamemaniaco (Post 76849)
I can’t do more

Then you're just screwed. The discs will fail much earlier, too much heat and humidity.

gamemaniaco 04-23-2021 08:35 AM

should I put the discs in the trash if I don't have temperature and humidity control?

Is heat or humidity more harmful to DVDs?

other media is more resistance?

timtape 04-24-2021 12:30 AM

I suspect very few people have the luxury of ideal conditions for media storage. So as with many things in life we do the best we can with what we have. To throw out valuable recordings (especially the only copy) because we dont have ideal storage conditions would be IMO foolishness.

gamemaniaco 04-24-2021 04:32 AM

I thought about throwing it in the trash for not having the ideal conditions, I don't have air conditioning just a dehumidifying device that uses a compressor and I keep it on morning and afternoon

heat or humidity is more harmful to DVDs?