digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   Anyone ever hear of "Savit" brand blank media? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/2638-hear-savit-brand.html)

NJRoadfan 12-10-2010 06:00 PM

Anyone ever hear of "Savit" brand blank media?

1 Attachment(s)
I had one of these discs from a friend of mine. About 10 years old now. Below is the ATIP info. KDG Mediatech appears to be a European company. European media is kinda rare in the US in general, maybe it was imported by some company when the US dollar was strong, or perhaps its a fake. Quality looks sketchy, you can see the dye bleeding around the hub and splatter along the edges of the disc.

Nero DiscSpeed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : CD-R
Manufacturer: : kdg mediatech
MID : 97m24s40f
Write speeds: : 8 X - 16 X
Capacity: : 74:44.72
: 656 MB
Extended Information
Usage : General
Disc Status : Closed
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - D0 00 80 00 61 18 28 00 4A 2C 48 00 00 00 80 00 - ....a.(.J,H.....
0010 - 00 80 00 00 00 80 80 00 - ........

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/atta...9&d=1292025443

admin 12-11-2010 01:56 AM

Doesn't ring a bell off the top of my head, no. Then again, I've seen so much media in the past couple of decades that it's really hard to keep track of the minor players. I'm most familiar with the discs that are still in wallets, on spindles, or in the testing piles -- most of it from the bigger and medium manufacturers.

A cursory look at Google shows it to be KDG Mediatech AG, made in Austria.
kdg mediatech (Elbigenalp, Austria, +43 (0) 5634-500; Parc d'Activités, France, +33 (0) 3 29 58 40 70).
http://www.kdg-mt.com/

I will say that I'm pretty dubious about smaller manufacturers and unknown media, in general. If it burns like crap, I'm not surprised. If it works well, then that's when it gets interesting -- Infomedia, for example, that pepst was talking about in another thread I was just reading.

If the content is important, make another copy on good Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim discs --- and then consider an archival ISO file on a hard drive, too.

pepst 12-11-2010 05:10 AM

NJRoadfan - thanks for the picture, I haven't seen a picture of this kind of medium before. Is it still fully readable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 13534)
I will say that I'm pretty dubious about smaller manufacturers and unknown media, in general. If it burns like crap, I'm not surprised. If it works well, then that's when it gets interesting -- Infomedia, for example, that pepst was talking about in another thread I was just reading.

Personally, I would rate Infomedia's DVDRs over Taiyo Yuden's present DVDRs.
It is a pity that they are so rare. [}:)]

admin 12-11-2010 05:39 AM

That and the fact that firmware support seems to be rather lousy. It works well in some models of some drives, but it's just not a reliable disc for the general population, many of which never upgrade their firmware from original stock, or are using cheap OEM burners from the usual suspects.

That's common among small manufacturers, which is why many (as you surely know) resort to faking IDs. The problem there, of course, is that the discs isn't really close enough to the strategy implemented by the ID, so it still doesn't help much. To top it off, most fake ID discs are junk anyway. Such a mess.

The thing that alarms me about TY DVD media is jitter and poorer reflectivity (indirectly-measured), as well as infrequent bad burns even with good drives (a problem that really never affects MCC/MKM discs). I don't have such reservations about TY CD media -- it's quite good.

Oops..... seems I'm sidetracking this away from the Savit topic. :o

pepst 12-11-2010 07:04 AM

A boonding quality of TY's 16x DVDRs is often god awful too - comparable to Optodisc's first DVD-Rs or even ultra-cheap (offline bonded) AN30-35 from 2002-03. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 13539)
The thing that alarms me about TY DVD media is jitter and poorer reflectivity (indirectly-measured), as well as infrequent bad burns even with good drives (a problem that really never affects MCC/MKM discs). I don't have such reservations about TY CD media -- it's quite good.

NJRoadfan 12-11-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepst (Post 13538)
NJRoadfan - thanks for the picture, I haven't seen a picture of this kind of medium before. Is it still fully readable?

Nero Discspeed's surface scan reports no errors. Nothing important on this disc that I can't download elsewhere. According to Discspeed, it was burned April 30th 1999. There is a small pinhole scratch I can see through on the disc surface, likely from past abuse of this disc.. It certainly has held up better then the spindle of ProDisc CD-Rs (silver tops, no branding) I bought from CompUSA back in 2000. Those have the silver top layer flaking off like crazy. They were cheap though, something like $10 for 50 back then.