digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   Do optical disc manufacturers test durability (longevity) of media? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/5453-optical-disc-manufacturers.html)

gamemaniaco 10-19-2013 07:01 PM

Do optical disc manufacturers test durability (longevity) of media?

Optical disc manufacturers do some testing to simulate the years to know the longevity of your DVD medias? if the answer is yes, how are these tests done?

lordsmurf 10-19-2013 08:11 PM

Yes they do. The non-sloppy ones, at least.

CMC, Mitsubishi, Taiyo Yuden, MA-A and Ritek all do. The now-defunct Faxon, Pioneer (PVC), TDK and Hitachi Maxell did, too. There are more manufacturers that do this, but I'd need to look at a list to jog my memory.

I doubt crappy media manufacturers like Princo, Interaxia and Onidtech ever did. Again, there are more.

The reliability of all these tests, however, are suspect when ridiculous claims are made. For example, asinine "100 years" or even "300 year" claims.

Much of it is done with advanced aging, and testing in pro equipment like DaTARIUS.

gamemaniaco 10-19-2013 08:17 PM

1 My DVD + R 16x Philips Cyanine cmc mag m01 has been saying that the tests prove 30 years of life but I do not know how they are made tests that simulate the years

2 enjoying the topic wanted to clarify the situation of errors jitter, PIE, PIF, PIPO and C1C2, these errors will delete any files burned on the DVD? If the DVD has all these errors?

lordsmurf 10-19-2013 08:36 PM

They either don't share the methods, and/or fudge the results. I don't trust manufacturer claims, as almost all are BS. What matters is the neutral 3rd party testing. C't, for example, has done several over the years. I have most or all of them. It's an interesting read, but something I can't look at right now. Unless you really, really understand (and like) optical media, it's a hard read. Not for novices.

At least CMC only said 30 years, which is somewhat honest.

I'm not answering that other post right now. The answer is long (pages long!) and I'm busy. You'll have to wait.

gamemaniaco 10-19-2013 08:44 PM

1 Please Lordsmurf to end it answer me if errors jitter, PIE, PIF, PIPO and C1C2 will delete the files burned on DVD?

2 just Recer an email from CMC and they said they test the disks for a number of hours at 80 degrees and 80% humidity and the result was 30 years to DVDR, is an honest and reliable test?

pepst 10-20-2013 02:58 PM

Ban this guy ASAP, please.

admin 10-20-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepst (Post 28431)
Ban this guy ASAP, please.

It's been done. :2cents:

Bumping posts daily, and PM'ing Site Staff question -- over and over and over again -- is ridiculous. We may unban him, but it will be several weeks from now. We have work to do (paying clients), Premium Members to answer (donating members), and this shenanigans of his had to stop. We'll post research later in the year, and it's not going to change just because somebody whinges daily.

Enough. :screwy:

What's truly sad is that he had some good questions.