Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-26-2014, 07:34 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

How should I properly store my CDs and DVDs if I can not control the temperature and humidity? I wanted to preserve my files for at least 10 years
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Don't use wallets. Those scratch discs.

Slim jewels case take up less room than full jewel cases, and are suggested for frequently accessed discs.

For lesser accessed discs, spindles are a good solution. They're very compact. The only caveat here is the discs need to have a center hub (most discs do), and not be those completely flat inkjet thermal media from years past. (Note that I've not seen discs like that in many years now. Most of them were Prodisc.)

Obviously keep them in a dark place, in as non-damp a place as possible. Stores discs indoors, and anything under 80 degrees Fahrenheit is okay to be honest. About 70 is archival, but anything less starts to get damp again, and cold damp is not better than hot damp.

Your discs should last for 10 years just fine. They may last for 20-30. I still have CD-R from 1995 that are fine.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Free Member

Have resonably stable temperatures and moderate humidity (avoid frequent wide swings that could cause condensing and dimensional changes) and store them in closed jewel or library cases. Protect them from physical abuse, dirt, scratches, etc. If you cannot control the humidity and temperatures, I would still try to keep them in an environment that is comfortable for average people. For +/-R media protect from bright light. Attics and cars are typically NOT good storage locations

With current quality media 10 years should not be difficult to achieve.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: lordsmurf (03-26-2014)
03-26-2014, 08:21 AM

I'm scared because I store the discs next to a 29'' CRT TV tube and next to a parabolic antenna receiver and they generate heat , it will cause damage and reduce the useful life of the CDR and DVDR ? where are the disks , the TV and the receiver is a room with the door open and ventilated all day just hot night

I have no other place in the house to store the discs because the room is closed and humid
03-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Protect them from physical abuse, dirt, scratches, etc.
Excellent advice! I forgot to mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
I'm scared because I store the discs next to a 29'' CRT TV tube and next to a parabolic antenna receiver and they generate heat , it will cause damage and reduce the useful life of the CDR and DVDR ? where are the disks , the TV and the receiver is a room with the door open and ventilated all day just hot night

I have no other place in the house to store the discs because the room is closed and humid
Well, yeah, that's not ideal. You just have to risk it, I guess. Note that heat won't really affect pressed DVD (no dye), just burned ones (dye). The magnetism won't make any difference; discs are not magnetic storage, they're optical.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-26-2014, 09:22 AM

then I'll take a picture of the rack where this TV, the receiver and the discs but I made a exemplode as station stored discs and I wanted you to see, what separates the discs from the TV and receiver are the wooden boards

Attached Images
File Type: png rack.png (20.9 KB, 8 downloads)
03-26-2014, 06:40 PM
Free Member

Heat rises - so generally speaking, store the discs lower than higher (but not so low they risk flooding, pets, or children). Keep them away from convection heat that is caused by air the flow past the heat source (e.g., the TV - a shelf below the TV is better than a shelf above it). If there is something you are really concerned about, try a sealed container with a desiccant in it, make back-up copies, and test your copies periodically for read errors so you can make new copies when the old start to fail.
03-26-2014, 06:49 PM

you saw the picture I posted the demo? that way is that I store the discs, the heat generated by the CRT TV 29 and the receiver will not damage and shorten the life of your discs?

what a desiccant? is silica gel? I have a bag of silica gel in the room where the station store discs
03-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Free Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccant

As to your storage situation, I cannot tell with any degree of certainty from the sketch. if you have a thermometer check the temperatures where the disks are stored. For every 10 C (18 F) increase in temperature expect the disc life to be cut in half. This may or may not be significant in you situation.
03-26-2014, 07:20 PM

1 there is some cheap and easy to find equipment I measure the temperature and humidity?

2 where the maximum temperature that a CD and a DVD + R resists without losing lifetime durability?

3 I have a desiccant inside the compartment where the station records, which shops can I find more desiccant? I have this I found in medicine
03-27-2014, 04:57 AM
Free Member

1 - Try any hardware store - or search the internet.

2 - The only threshold temperature is where the CD burns/melts. The rest is a increasing rate of decline as temperature increases that follows an exponential curve doubling for roughly every 10 C increase in temperature. If a DVD will last 30 years at 20 C, the same DVD can be expected to last about 15 years at 30C and so on. This is based on standard statistical aging curves. (Note that many components are rated at 85C; garden variety electrolytic caps for example, are often rated to last 1000 hours at 85 C, which mans that only a specified small percentage will fail by the time that exposure is reached. 1000 hours at 85C becomes something like 15 years at 20C.)

Visit M-Disc's web site and read their research report for an example of CD/DVD aging tests geared toward their product. And if you do not understand it, don't feel alone. (BTW, I am not endorsing that product, and I have no experience with it.)

3 - Try a local hardware/housewares store. It is sold to in packets for use in keeping confined spaces dry. Or search the internet. Desiccant is not effective forever, once it has "filler" with water it needs to be replaced or regenerated (often by heating it). Read the instructions that come with what you buy.

There is not much more that can be said in your situation. Good luck
03-27-2014, 06:37 AM

1 Man, my DVD + R from Philips is manufactured by CMC Magnetics and my CDR are all from SmartBuy brand but I do not know the life expectancy of them , the CMC told me that his life expectancy is 30 years to 25 degrees and 30-50 % humidity but I do not know how to control humidity and temperature , I live in northeastern Brazil and here the temperatures can reach 40 degrees easily but my concern is with the heat generated by the CRT TV 29 and the receiver that are close to the discs , they will increase the temperature where the station records and will reduce the life expectancy of them or they will not interfere with the storage of the discs ?

2 I wanted to purchase the MDisc but he does not have in Brazil , I try to purchase the disc archival Sony pain if he sold in Brazil

3 I already look silica gel desiccant in various stores and I did not think it is difficult to find it , I only found one inside the pot medicine , if desiccant is not for life , is there anything that absorbs moisture and lasts for lifetime ?

4 A thermometer is used to measure the temperature of the environment or not ? it only serves for the human body ?
03-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Free Member

Sorry, but I cannot help you with respect to finding goods and services in Brazil.
03-27-2014, 12:54 PM

then answer me other questions:

1 guy, my DVD + R from Philips is manufactured by CMC Magnetics and my CDR are all from SmartBuy brand but I do not know the life expectancy of Them, the CMC told that me his life expectancy is 30 years and 30 to 25 degrees - 50% humidity but I do not know how to control temperature and humidity, I live in northeastern Brazil and here the temperatures can easily reach 40 degrees but my concern is with the heat generated by the CRT TV 29 and the receiver are close to the que discs, They Will Increase the temperature where the station records and will reduce the life expectancy of Them or They Will not interfere with the storage of the discs?

2 A thermometer is used to measure the temperature of the environment or not? it only serves for the human body?
03-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Free Member

Thermometers measure temperature and they come invarious shapes, sizes, ranges, and use various measuring technologies for different intended applications/uses.

The body temperature thermometer is a specialized type. (Some are called fever thermometer or rectal thermometer depending on how they are used, and they can be electronic, use a traditional column of mercury, etc.)

Without temperature information we have no way to tell whether or not your storage arrangement is compromising your CD/DVD life compared to some undefiened alternative. A disc that is expected to last 30 years at 25 C is likely last around 10 years at 40 C, other things being equal.
03-27-2014, 02:33 PM

1 I can use a regular thermometer to measure the temperature where the discs are? will work? a common thermometer is a thermometer that I use to measure body temperature

2 there is anything to measure the humidity of where the discs are?
03-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Free Member

Hygrometer. Look it up. In the USA a digital model with a thermometer starts under $25.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/mini-hyg...FaVxOgod5HcAwA

How much are you willing and able to spend to extend the life of your CD/DVDs?
03-28-2014, 06:18 AM

I do not know where to find it here in a small town in Brazil, serving a common thermometer to know the temperature?

Here is a picture of my bookshelf where the discs DVD+R Philips and CDR Smartbuy are stored next to CRT TV 29'', this way will heat storage discs cd and dvd and will shorten the life of them or not?

upload photo:

someone saw the photo I posted of my discs stored?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-03-27 19.04.39.jpg (67.3 KB, 6 downloads)
04-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Free Member

There is no new information upon which to make a guess as to relative life of the recordings.
No temperature or runtime (of the electronics) data.
And there is no alternative storage location identified to compare it against.

But if you really want a relatively meaningless number, the recordable discs at the indicated location may last only 75% (give or take 25%) as long as disks in a cool, protected corner of the room away from the TV, DVD player, cable box, and other heat and bright light sources.
04-14-2014, 11:22 AM

Here is a picture of where my station stored CDRs and DVDRs, next to cdr and dvdr discs this is a 29'' CRT TV and a receiver of parabolic antenna, the heat generated by these 2 equipment will damage the storage of records and will shorten the life of them or not?

see photo:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-03-27 19.04.39.jpg (67.3 KB, 3 downloads)

Tags
store medias