digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   USB flash drive vs. DVD-R to store my files? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/6356-usb-flash-drive.html)

gamemaniaco 02-05-2015 06:26 AM

USB flash drive vs. DVD-R to store my files?

How many years can last USB flash drive to store my files backup? USB flash drive is safe? USB flash drive lost files because of environmental factors such as heat, humidity? USB flash drive has some organic material?

I'll save my files in the USB flash drive and keep on the shelf for many years but I do not know how many years it will resist

dpalomaki 02-05-2015 06:52 AM

The technology is still evolving somewhat, but most things I've read give it 5 to 10 years shelf life.
The also are limits on the number of time you can write to a location on the media (in the thousands) and times you can insert/remove the USB connector (in the thousands as well), before you can expect reliability issues.

Some other issues include the media is often counterfeited, so what you think is a reliable brand name might be a fake. Buying from reliable sources reduces this risk. Also, during the insertion/removal process, if not dismounted from the computer properly, the file structure on the media could become corrupted and rendered unavailable. (If this was not a real issue you would not see the many data recovery programs offered on the market.) Because they are small they can be easy to lose, and they generally cost more than tape, DVD-R, or BD media.

At it stands the media with the longest claimed life, with some simulated aging test to back it up, appears to be M-DISC technology (available as DVD and Blu-ray), but I've not tried it yet.

In my opinion USB thumb drives, the various SD cards, CF media, etc. are good for initial capture, file transfers, and ready access, but I would not rely on them as my sole long term archive.

gamemaniaco 02-05-2015 06:40 PM

1 I will not be deleting and writing files on USB Flash Drive, I'll writing the files on it and I wonder how many years until the USB Flash Drive will store my files

2 USB Flash Drive has some organic material which decomposes?

dpalomaki 02-06-2015 08:53 AM

Quote:

I wonder how many years until the USB Flash Drive will store my files
No one knows for sure. Expect 5 to 10 years before you encounter any problems if you start with good media and make no mistakes when handling or storing the media. It could be longer, and it might be less.

gamemaniaco 02-06-2015 10:25 AM

usb flash drive can have a life span of 100 years? which resists more, the dvdr or USB flash drive?

USB Flash Drive has some organic material?

sanlyn 02-06-2015 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamemaniaco (Post 36363)
usb flash drive can have a life span of 100 years?

Who said anything about 100 years?

Quote:

which resists more, the dvdr or USB flash drive?

The average flash drive is not as reliable as DVDR. Flash drives are a poor medium for long term archive. You've already been told this.

Quote:

USB Flash Drive has some organic material?

You have two choices for answer:

1. Wait until someone is able to guess which flash drive you have, then wait for someone who knows exactly which materials the drive is made from.

2. Contact the company that manufactured your flash drive.

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Ne...r/10120902.asp

gamemaniaco 02-06-2015 04:53 PM

DVDR are very fragile to heat, moisture and scratches that's why I thought the USB Flash Drive is best for long-term storage of files, USB flash drive appears to be more resistant

lordsmurf 02-06-2015 11:25 PM

All media is "fragile" to heat, moisture and scratches. Everything from rock (stone tablets), to paper, to digital media. Nothing is indestructible.

(A) use the best materials you can
(B) take care of it.

That's all you can do.

gamemaniaco 02-07-2015 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 36380)
All media is "fragile" to heat, moisture and scratches. Everything from rock (stone tablets), to paper, to digital media. Nothing is indestructible.

(A) use the best materials you can
(B) take care of it.

That's all you can do.

1 Which brands USB Flash Drive and DVDR use the best materials?

2 USB Flash Drive or DVDR which is the most durable and long lasting?

lordsmurf 02-07-2015 03:43 PM

Sandisk, Kingston, HP, PNY

I buy all mine from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=U...IEIXTGDHNIE3JR
Don't buy blank media from shady/unknown stores.

Flash is temporary storage only. DVD is far more permanent.

dpalomaki 02-07-2015 03:56 PM

Remember that a user or a computer can easily mess up the content of a flash drive without doing physical abuse to it, even if it is the highest quality manufacturer. All it can take is miss typed command or two, a bit of malware, or a hurried removal from the PC.

It is more difficult to do non-physical, accidental damage to finalized DVD media. The main issue there is to buy and use quality recordable media, and to store it properly. And keep a backup copyuof important stuff.

I would love to hear/read more reports on M-DISC!

gamemaniaco 02-07-2015 04:11 PM

1 and the medias of dvdr what are the best brands in the world?

2 if I buy a flash drive usb sandisk or kingston it will have a time of unlimited useful life?

dpalomaki 02-07-2015 04:20 PM

See separate threads covering recommended media brands.

Nothing has unlimited useful life. The recommended brands may last longer before they start to fail.

lordsmurf 02-07-2015 05:07 PM

We've already answered your media question before: use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.

I never trust flash media beyond the temporary use. Sometimes that's to transfer between computers, and sometimes it's to mail content. But I never advise it for anything longer than short-term immediate needs. It's also the master file, but a duplicate for the transfer. (After transfer, the master may be deleted.)

gamemaniaco 02-07-2015 05:10 PM

I tried Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden in Brazil and this very hard to find these medias

what differs these medias of other brands?