digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   Making Master discs (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/653-making-master-discs.html)

MagnificentMarcus 11-09-2005 04:01 PM

Making Master discs

I'm just wondering does everyone when they are transferring from one disc to another disc to make a master disc; first burn and verify it (DVD Decryptor) and then do a Nero CDspeed surface scan. It seems a little redundant. If you have a bad disc it usually won't verify-correct? What does everybody else do?

MagnificentMarcus 11-10-2005 03:42 PM

Anyone????

lordsmurf 11-11-2005 12:23 AM

I use discs good enough that I generally don't have to test. My PVC001002 and MXLRG02 discs simply don't give out bad burns. I may run CD Speed every now and then, and I always put them in a player and watch a handful of episodes.

padre2 11-11-2005 12:52 AM

Generally, if I'm concerned about the readability of a disc I want to use as a master, I'll do a test copy with my duplicators. Goes through all the steps as a dupe, just doesn't burn the blank. I do it with all dvds I receive to make sure they are readable/copyable. For stuff I burn, I'm with LS, I use good media (TY in my case), and don't have to test. I've only had a few come back in the thousands that I've burned.

MagnificentMarcus 11-11-2005 03:17 AM

So do you guys think that what I'm doing which is burning and verifying with DVD Decryptor and then running the disc through Nero CDspeed Surface Scan is a little excessive? I too use Taiyo Yuden discs.

I seems to think that the verifying part of Decryptor pretty much does the same thing as the surface scan??

padre2 11-11-2005 03:26 AM

Not quite the same as a surface scan. It's only a byte comparison, comparing what it wrong to the original source. If it has issues reading the copy, due to errors, it'll fail - but its not a true surface scan, looking at PI or PO errors.

lordsmurf 11-11-2005 03:42 AM

Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Just realize that if for some reason you do get a bad discs, and don't test to find out, the only person you can blame is yourself.

I do not use Taiyo Yuden DVD-R for masters because I'm sold that it's the best media. It is quite good, but I don't consider it the best. If I had TY discs, I'd be testing at least some portion of discs.

At the moment, with my MXL and PVC discs, I only test things when I want to be 100% positive that the burn is fine without any doubts, usually on my big sets that took a lot of time, things like Johnny Bravo or The Tick.

MagnificentMarcus 11-11-2005 03:45 AM

Padre, my experience has shown that if a disc has a surface scan problem that it will also fail the verification process. Does it not have to read the disc to verify and isn't a surface scan just a readibility test.

MagnificentMarcus 11-11-2005 05:03 AM

LS, where do you get PVC discs? Are you saying that MXL discs are better than TY?

padre2 11-11-2005 05:03 AM

The media scans like CDSpeed can tell you how marginal the media is - not just good/bad. I do scans periodically to check the batch. It also helps to highlight how well the media performs with the burner your using, as some media burns better with some burners, and lousy with others.

MagnificentMarcus 11-11-2005 06:09 AM

Well,it looks like I'm back to verifying and running a CDspeed surface scan.

lordsmurf 11-11-2005 07:32 AM

You can't get PVC discs anymore.
MXLRG02 media was better than TY media, yes, that's my experience.

MagnificentMarcus 11-11-2005 08:41 AM

Maxell??? I think I'll stay with TY; Maxell discs gives my burners troubles and me headaches, especially with verification.

lordsmurf 11-11-2005 09:06 AM

Maxell, no 'w'.
MXLRG01 2x and MXLRG02 4x were great discs.
MXLRG03 8x good too, but not as good as the older RG02.
MXLRG04 16x not out yet that I know of.