digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   MDisc is more durable? Or just marketing? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/7494-mdisc-more-durable.html)

gamemaniaco 08-14-2016 07:27 PM

MDisc is more durable? Or just marketing?

mdisc is superior in durable e resistance of dvdr verbatim and ty? or marketing? i buy mdisc amazon? mdisc degrade in light, heat and humidity?

lordsmurf 08-14-2016 08:01 PM

It is not, no.
Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are both better media.
M-Disc is expensive AND not as good. So it's double punishment.

gamemaniaco 08-14-2016 08:54 PM

I see mdisc manufactured by Verbatim
mdisc uses dye inorganic durable and sturdy?

lordsmurf 08-23-2016 03:20 PM

M-Disc is really more a technology than a brand. It's complicated, because it's unique.
But it's mostly just marketing.

Verbatim likes to do anything is can to maximize profit:
- gold plated DVDs (because gold discs suck)
- cheap versions using CMC/Ritek
- M-Disc
- quality MCC

I can't say I blame them. Sometimes the market demands crap. They provide it to those that insist. A sucker and his money are soon parted.

gamemaniaco 08-23-2016 03:34 PM

his opinion I should buy verbatim dvd-r azo or mdisc? I look for durability and resistance of the DVD disc to keep my files for many years decades
I've read on the internet in 100 years of useful life of dvd-r verbatim azo, this is a lie?

lordsmurf 08-23-2016 04:22 PM

Buy both.
Burn everything twice -- once to each. Then compare them for yourself.

2x archive is good backup policy, after all. ;)

gamemaniaco 08-23-2016 06:01 PM

I do not know mdisc people speak but he has dye inorganic, high price and 1000 years to save files

dvd-r verbatim azo Mitsubishi I do not know the life expectancy useful it but people speak in 100 years expectancy

What is the best?

lordsmurf 08-23-2016 10:21 PM

I'm not doing this with you again.
You can either trust our independent media testing, or you can trust the company selling the product.
We say MCC.
I don't care what they say.
Walmart claims to be the best at everything, and most people know they suck at most things.

gamemaniaco 08-24-2016 06:04 AM

Verbatim dvd-r azo mcc has a higher resistance to heat and humidity compared to other cheap Medias CMC, Ritek etc.?

temperature and humidity affect which parts of the DVD-R disc?

junpei 10-07-2016 03:26 PM

Verbatim even "makes" compatible burners https://www.nierle.com/en/article/32....0,_Black.html

latreche34 10-14-2016 12:49 PM

MiniDisc is not meant for archiving, It was a distribution format for music listening and it is 5 times compressed compared to CD, I don't know what is your archiving needs but if it is music? I would go for multiple formats, first save a backup on a hard drive in WAV or FLAC, Make a second backup on a SD card they are big and cheap now up to 128GB, make a third backup on a tape format such as DAT, I would stay away from any optical medium for archiving.

Winsordawson 10-15-2016 12:03 AM

By 'M-disc' the OP means the millennial disc, not MiniDisc. I don't think DATs are even sold anymore, and they are a magnetized format.

If I recall, the studies on the M-disc have only been for the DVD version, not for their blu-ray offerings. I once asked if they had any evidence showing the longevity of their blu-ray version but they couldn't give any.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 45383)
You can either trust our independent media testing, or you can trust the company selling the product.

The M-discs were tested here?

gamemaniaco 12-21-2016 05:39 AM

I am thinking of buying Verbatim MDISC, this disc is reliable, sturdy and safe? The construction of this disc allows you to have a disk for many decades and keep the files 100% good?