digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   Store DVD-R inside a closed plastic bag? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/7782-store-dvd-inside.html)

gamemaniaco 02-04-2017 04:00 PM

Store DVD-R inside a closed plastic bag?

exist any problem if I store the cd / dvd / mdisc with case inside a closed plastic bag? I keep the bag in a ventilated place and a little humid

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/imag...etelvina-1.jpg

lordsmurf 02-13-2017 10:45 PM

Plastic traps moisture. That's a horrible idea. Don't do that.

gamemaniaco 02-14-2017 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 47795)
Plastic traps moisture. That's a horrible idea. Don't do that.

But I did a test I put a hygrometer inside the closed bag and the humidity is low then the humidity comes out of the bag

lordsmurf 02-14-2017 04:02 AM

If the humidity inside the bag is better than outside, you have some really terrible conditions there in Brazil. :eeks:

gamemaniaco 02-14-2017 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 47813)
If the humidity inside the bag is better than outside, you have some really terrible conditions there in Brazil. :eeks:

I placed the hygrometer inside the bag and the humidity inside the bag is the same outside the bag, if inside the bag the hygrometer shows 50%, outside the bag is also 50%, if the outside of the bag shows 60%, inside the bag shows 60%, I put the bag in a ventilated environment with low humidity, humidity only gets high on rainy days regardless of inside or outside the bag, there are bags that let the air in, the air is renewed, with this test is correct ?

lordsmurf 02-14-2017 05:46 AM

Then it sounds as if that bag is useless, if outside RH% matches inside.

gamemaniaco 02-14-2017 05:52 AM

The bag is useful because it protects the disks from dust and insects

lordsmurf 02-14-2017 06:22 AM

Ah. Yes, it can do that. However, it's still not what I would do. But I guess you must make the best of your conditions. Brazil has some pretty rough non-controlled climates for optical media.

gamemaniaco 02-14-2017 06:26 AM

Can I store the discs inside these plastic bags without problems? My test I put the hygrometer inside the bag and closed the bag in the bathroom (local humidity) I placed the bag in a ventilated environment and the humidity dropped, I see that the humidity inside the bag is similar to moisture out of the bag

What kind of bag retains moisture?

lordsmurf 02-14-2017 06:53 AM

Temperature changes will cause any plastic bag to have moisture bead up inside. This also assume the item inside has moisture to excrete. If 100% dry, no moisture can build up.

I'd rather store in a cardboard box. Cardboard will absorb the moisture, not trap it.

gamemaniaco 02-14-2017 06:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)
1 Can not I store the discs inside the bag? I will have problems?

this test higrometer is not reliable?

2 If inside the bag has moisture because of rain, on dry days will have a change of moisture by dry air inside the bag? This bag is not vacuumed I tied the bag

-- merged --

1 If I store the disks in that bag tie close the bag and put the bag in a ventilated and dry place the moisture humidity inside the bag will get stuck or will it leave having an air exchange?

2 Even if there is some moisture inside the bag, if the outside environment is dry the dry air enters the bag and the humid air leaves the bag?

3 How to store: DVD or MDisc DVDR disc inside dvd case black Amaray> dvd case Amaray black inside a plastic bag tied closed the same as the photo bag > plastic bag inside a closed cardboard box> cardboard box in an open environment And ventilated room (not air conditioned)

4 Is there any test I can do with a closed bag to find out if there is condensed moisture inside the bag or if the dry air enters the bag releasing moist air?

Winsordawson 02-21-2017 12:46 AM

I would just purchase an aluminum hard DVD case and leave a hygrometer inside to check the humidity levels now and then. If the humidity is too high you can lower it with silica gel packets. And if you have an insect problem using cardboard boxes might invite unwelcome guests.

gamemaniaco 02-21-2017 05:41 AM

Does anyone answer my questions above?

lordsmurf 02-21-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winsordawson (Post 47909)
I would just purchase an aluminum hard DVD case and leave a hygrometer inside to check the humidity levels now and then. If the humidity is too high you can lower it with silica gel packets. And if you have an insect problem using cardboard boxes might invite unwelcome guests.

Great idea. Why didn't I think of that? :smack:

gamemaniaco 02-21-2017 01:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
1 If I store the disks in that bag tie close the bag and put the bag in a ventilated and dry place the moisture humidity inside the bag will get stuck or will it leave having an air exchange?

2 Even if there is some moisture inside the bag, if the outside environment is dry the dry air enters the bag and the humid air leaves the bag?

3 How to store: DVD or MDisc DVDR disc inside dvd case black Amaray> dvd case Amaray black inside a plastic bag tied closed the same as the photo bag > plastic bag inside a closed cardboard box> cardboard box in an open environment And ventilated room (not air conditioned)

4 Is there any test I can do with a closed bag to find out if there is condensed moisture inside the bag or if the dry air enters the bag releasing moist air?

lordsmurf 02-21-2017 02:24 PM

I can't answer this. I've put a bag over my head. :laugh:

gamemaniaco 02-21-2017 02:28 PM

Please friend answer

gamemaniaco 02-22-2017 07:00 AM

1 the dvdr / mdisc dvdr are inside a black dvd case and the case is inside a closed plastic bag just like the photo and the bag is inside a cardboard box If I need to remove the bags it is necessary to do several scan read Test, jitter, PIE, PIF because the humidity increased their level to the point of causing a great degradation?

2 I did what I thought of placing the discs, case and bag inside a cardboard box in an open and ventilated place thinking that the moisture would go down inside the bag

gamemaniaco 02-25-2017 11:39 AM

I am testing a hygrometer inside the closed bag, I closed the bag in a humid place and placed it in a ventilated and open place, I see the humidity inside the bag go down although a little slow, if it rains the humidity inside the bag go up, if it does not rain the Humidity inside the bag will fall, here where I live northeastern Brazil for most of the year the climate is dry without rain, if I keep the cases of dvd with the cd / dvd / mdisc inside that bag closed the discs will die fast and Will not have the estimated useful life of the manufacturer or have no problem would be the same as storing without a bag?

Winsordawson 02-25-2017 02:08 PM

If you are using a bag like the one at the beginning of this post, I don't see how the bag can have an air-tight seal. The humidity will go up and down with the climate, as you found. Nevertheless, if you store it in an opaque bag it might still reduce the amount of light reaching the discs. Getting an aluminum/metal case would be better.