digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/)
-   -   A Kickstarter campaign for modern VCRs? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/12302-kickstarter-campaign-modern.html)

ddw_119 11-19-2021 01:19 PM

A Kickstarter campaign for modern VCRs?

Hello, everyone.

I recently settled with a VHS/8mm to DVD project. Notice that I used the word "settle" because I'm about 65-75% blind and living on a fixed disability income, so purchasing higher-end equipment is near impossible for me. My personal holy grail is the JVC HR-S7900U and it typically costs about half of my monthly income. Over the summer, I did manage to purchase a non-TBC/DNR JVC-S29U, Panasonic DMR-ES10 and a JVC DR-M10 DVD Recorder and successfully transferred my home videos to DVD and DVD rips.

Despite my handicap, I've always had a decent eye for video. Don't ask me why; just a hidden talent, I guess. I don't consider myself an expert but I seem to notice the smallest flaws in video that my family/friends (who have way better eyesight than I do) tend to miss completely. While I was satisfied with my DVD transfers, I started to think about how great it would be if I could just do lossless captures for video restoration. A personal restoration project is something I always wanted to try. But after researching the total cost of all the equipment necessary, I pretty much gave up.

But last night I had a dream...a dream that involved members of this forum banding together and starting a Kickstarter campaign to assemble and manufacture a new line of VCRs specifically for digital transfer. These VCRs would have built-in features such as:

Line TBC
DNR
Chroma Noise Reduction
Jitter Correction
Correction for VHS Tearing
Composite In/Out
S-Video In/Out
HDMI In/Out
Probably many other features I don't remember

Instead of a DVD recorder, the VCR unit in my dream had a HDD built into it. Not sure of the size but I'm guessing a minimum of 1TB. There was a USB port on the front or side of the VCR that allowed the user to easily transfer the captured video files from the HDD in the deck to a PC/laptop. There was also a second, cheaper model with no built-in HDD but allowed an external HDD to be connected through USB for the storage of captured files.

Of course, all kinds of digital capturing options were available in the menu (with lossless being the default option, of course), and features of the VCR like the DNR, Jitter correction, etc. could be turned on/off. Further picture options, like those on JVC Super VHS models, were also on the unit.

Not that I think this could happen, but sometimes you have to share an idea, whether it's a good one or not. Lol. I have no clue if something like this would ever be possible. But when I woke up this morning I felt like I had to share this. :laugh:

lordsmurf 11-19-2021 01:37 PM

Unfortunately, several of those aspects are incompatible with one another, or requiring quality compromises to achieve. Namely composite, HDMI.

1tb is way too small. If you go to all the trouble of building such a masterpiece, I'd insist on 16tb drives, exFAT formatted, that directly writes to a format easily read on Win/Mac/Linux system. Furthermore, it'd have to be caddy trayed, to extract easily. This alone would probably add $500+ to the unit.

It'd also need to avoid missteps of past gear, namely marrying features, like TBC+DNR. Also providing gradation, not just on/off.

We can all dream, yes? :)

FYI: Many years ago, I used to dream of a camera with then insane sci-fi features. It now exists. So never say never? (But you can say "not likely". Sadly, market for this is nada, so not likely.)

ddw_119 11-19-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 80849)
Unfortunately, several of those aspects are incompatible with one another, or requiring quality compromises to achieve. Namely composite, HDMI.

1tb is way too small. If you go to all the trouble of building such a masterpiece, I'd insist on 16tb drives, exFAT formatted, that directly writes to a format easily read on Win/Mac/Linux system. Furthermore, it'd have to be caddy trayed, to extract easily. This alone would probably add $500+ to the unit.

It'd also need to avoid missteps of past gear, namely marrying features, like TBC+DNR. Also providing gradation, not just on/off.

We can all dream, yes? :)

FYI: Many years ago, I used to dream of a camera with then insane sci-fi features. It now exists. So never say never? (But you can say "not likely". Sadly, market for this is nada, so not likely.)

I understand completely. That's why if this ever would to happen, you're in charge. :)

I assumed that the cost of a deck of this kind would be a bit steep. But I think something like this would be a little more attainable than the maximum capturing setup yet still a better option than lower-end, where I'm perennially stuck at. :laugh:

And what you said about avoiding the missteps of past gear is right on. And even if I were to find a 7900U in my price range, I would still be worried sick about potential hardware failures. Avoiding past mistakes and using better materials would also be a must.

dpalomaki 11-20-2021 09:35 AM

It all boils down to how many will be sold at what price point, or some multi billionaire wanting to fund it as a community benefit. My pockets are not that deep :depressed:

latreche34 11-20-2021 11:33 AM

There is a VCR project in the works by Singmai. but that would cost you few of your paychecks, dreams are dreams, you have to be asleep to live them.