digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/)
-   -   Hello 2022, a year of changes! (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/12385-2022-year-changes.html)

lordsmurf 01-03-2022 06:32 AM

Hello 2022, a year of changes!

In Dec 2022, this site will be 20 years old. :eek:

When I established it, from the remnants of my personal hobby VHS sites in the 90s, and adding new digital conversion info, I never imagined it'd still be here. It started as just my personal notebook (lordsmurf.com), logging my trevails with digital video conversion. Then it was expanded (and renamed to digitalFAQ.com), but that's another story for later. Explaining that past would give spoilers to what comes next..

Changes are coming this year. We've been saying that for years now, but certain things are finally coming together. "Best laid plans" and all, but fingers crossed this time. :o

More members are getting involved in the day-to-day. Not something simple like being a mod (not really needed), but developing content, and developing the site. Community involvement, crowdsourcing our talents.

I don't want an "interesting year". That's a Chinese curse.
I want a good year.
Great year.

And so it begins... :cool:

lojelo5 01-03-2022 06:25 PM

I have been following you for many a year lordsmurf (not in a stalking way :)) but for many questions and answers in the past on several old forums the old rpc1.org firmware site, another one I always forget the name of it something like missgillispie!! used to do all the Lite-on firmwares. I have been a member of this forum as well probably since the beginning but not in this name I used my real name at 1st but no idea what happened to that account. I have had time off but I have still come back now and again and I am glad you have kept it going for all these years, I know how hard it is to keep a forum going with all these different platforms on the go but I have been running a private forum myself for over 20 years and the same people are still active on it today! it's all because we have become a close net family and enjoy something we all do and this keeps us all going.

So good luck with keeping this going for many more years :congrats:

lordsmurf 01-04-2022 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lojelo5 (Post 81592)
I have been following you for many a year lordsmurf
old rpc1.org firmware site

Oh wow, that was quite a long time ago! :eek:

Were you a recipient of my Compaq Pioneer A03>103/A04>104 2.0 firmware? It's one of the few times that I actually hacked, reverse engineered (mostly guessing, I assure you!), and rewrote my own firmware. Not my "own" from-scratch work, built/forked from other Pioneer fw devs/hackers of the time. I chronicled my 1.9 modification here in 2010 (not really sure why I did that), but the 2.0 info is gone. No idea where it is anymore, not that it matters 20+ years later. But a fun notch on my belt. :cool:

Quote:

So good luck with keeping this going for many more years :congrats:
Thanks. :)

lojelo5 01-04-2022 01:50 PM

I had a few back then mate my favourite Pioneer was the DVR-A07XLA this one

https://i.postimg.cc/63t9tJvk/Screen...-04-193846.png

I remember a few members asking me could they have it cos it did stop working but it started working again but I dropped it many years ago and broke the draw flap off it's been in the loft ever since. I have always stuck with Pioneer I still have one in now the BDR-S12XLT even though it only gets used once in a blue moon it still works.

That other sites name is doing my head in I still can't remember it lol

RayNotes 01-11-2022 02:39 PM

One thing I wish this platform could do is post pictures/videos directly in replies, so you don't have to download them to view them. Convenience.

lordsmurf 01-11-2022 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayNotes (Post 81792)
One thing I wish this platform could do is post pictures/videos directly in replies, so you don't have to download them to view them. Convenience.

Pictures can be attached inline (paperclip when posting), but some posters attach not-inline.

Streaming videos (H.264 in MP4) cannot be attached in this manner in classic vBulletin. Once upon a time, it was possible with bbcode, but the underlying tech that allowed it was changed to HTML5. There are still quite a few older broken posts on the forum, especially the oldest ones that used Flash videos. It's something that I'd like to revisit, but it's low priority.

However, bbcode to attach Youtube inline does exist.

Non-streaming formats cannot be attached inline, nor played in browsers.

nicholasserra 01-14-2022 12:13 AM

Sounds great. Looking forward to new stuff. Reach out if you need any software stuff done.