Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-04-2022, 12:56 PM
Free Member

I've been in search for a good vcr for digitization of my old family tapes.

I've been reading the guides and comments on this forums for days now.
I got to a point where I learned a lot about what's needed in a good VCR.

However, all this info greatly overwhelmed me, once I've started actually searching to buy the VCR.
First of all, no ebay. Got it, even thought I did find some good options with sellers willing to send me the unit for testing first.
Anyhow, I found that I probably should be buying from vcrshop.com, they also offer a rent feature, which sounds good for testing purposes and returning if the quality is not right/unit is broken.

However, even on that website there are so many units to choose from.
Of course I've been only searching for the suggested units. Mainly from this post:
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...ing-guide.html

But even then I'm left with multiple choices, and I'm unable to understand what VCR to go with for my task.

Do I go with JVC or Panasonic? Should I choose a more recently release VCR or is an older one is good too?
Even if I choose one or the other, there are differences between the models themselves, so I got to a point where I need to start comparing the models as well..

Am I overthinking this? Should I just go for the first suggested model I find and not think too much about it?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-11-2022, 07:05 PM
Free Member

Go with one of the JVCs. They're far less complicated and less expensive. I wouldn't use any Panasonic VCR that wasn't fully refurbished.

I would suggest this to any hobbyist or home-movie person. I use the Panasonics exclusively but I do archival work and hundreds/thousands of tapes a year. The JVCs will do fine for your needs.

And yes, you're overthinking it for some home movies. Any of the models listed will be fine as long as the deck is in working order. Make sure to follow the JVC settings guides too. Aka turn off video calibration, R3, superimpose, all that stuff.
10-11-2022, 09:56 PM
Free Member

Many decks were manufactured over many years. But that ended years ago. Much of the problem today is finding decks which are still working as good as new, and if they arent, finding someone who can restore them to their former glory. Maybe a simple repair, maybe not. But compared to the best deck in the world which now has one small but crippling fault, a modest but fully working deck wins every time. The gear is only as useful as its condition today, at this moment.
10-12-2022, 06:10 AM
Free Member

For home projects it is often suggested to buy a good VCR, us it, then resell it, typically for a minimal if any net loss.

Rental of a good unit, if at a reasonable rate (for you), is an alternative but not available in many locations. As you note it can be returned if not working well for you, but verify the condition before you leave the rental shop lest you be stuck with a repair cost you didn't cause.

If an ebay seller offers to let you test the unit first, and you have the necessary skills to test it, that is viable. It reduces the chance if being scammed. But you (or a trusted third party) need to do the test. If you test it and then buy it its yours. If it passes your tests then fails later that failure may be on you (even if something you did not test), not the seller. (depending on what if any warranty the seller provides).

The recommended VCRs are the models with the best potential. As noted above all VCRs are legacy devices and whether or not an individual unit meets its potential will depend on its history of use (and abuse).
10-12-2022, 06:13 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Let's start here: NTSC or PAL ?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-12-2022, 11:06 AM
Free Member

He did mention PAL in the thread title.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
10-23-2022, 07:53 AM
Free Member

Yes, PAL as I mentioned in the title

Is there any guide on how to do a proper test of a unit?
02-12-2023, 03:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

As a layman, not much to test, aside from hoping image quality of tapes is good, tracks fine. But that's not really a test. It takes a proper test bed, a library of tapes, to truly test full tracking range, head condition, etc.

For PAL decks, VCRshop.nl is suggested. (Though I do sometimes have decks in the marketplace.)

02-12-2023, 05:26 PM
Free Member

Don't stare yourself blind on the JVC brand, i have some, even one with TBC, that i'm not satisfied with….with Panasonic DVD-recorders or combo's i have more luck, some LG vcr's have nice multi-system (MESECAM) features or 6 heads for playback of longplay recordings, which don't play well on 4 heads.
The thriftstore can have vcr's (or dvd recorders as passthrough) at bottom prices, you can't go much wrong there, most of the time they test for functionality too. where eBay scams you...
02-12-2023, 10:10 PM
Free Member

4 heads VCR's (2 video, 2 HiFi) were very rare by the end of VHS era, where commonly available in the late 70's and 80's, some had 3 heads for video, By early 90's to late 2000's 6 heads VCR's were very common, None of the high end VCR's used 2 heads only for video, double azimuth 2 heads for SP and 2 extra heads for low speeds was the standard, So I don't know what kind of 4 head VCR you are referring to.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
02-13-2023, 02:56 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
Don't stare yourself blind on the JVC brand,
Huh?

Quote:
i have some, even one with TBC, that i'm not satisfied with….with Panasonic DVD-recorders or combo's i have more luck, some LG vcr's have nice multi-system (MESECAM) features or
You prefer low-end consumer decks to JVC/Panasonic decks with line TBC? You're the only one, probably literally the only one.

Quote:
6 heads for playback of longplay recordings, which don't play well on 4 heads.
Most of the "6 heads" is just marketing for the 4 heads + audio. The standard was to state the video heads, not audio. It's like saying you car has 5 wheels because you have a spare in the boot/trunk.

Quote:
where eBay scams you...
Correct, eBay is largely a VCR dumping ground, where most sellers BS you, and descriptions of "tested" and "working" are complete nonsense.