Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-20-2013, 01:38 AM
Former Site Staff | Computers

In early December 2012, lordsmurf suffered what appears to be a stroke.

He was in the hospital for about a month. He watched his birthday, Christmas, and the New Year from a hospital bed.

The injury has left him without the majority of motor control in the right side of his body. What we're telling people is that he has about 50% of the leg, 10% of the arm, 95% of the mouth (some slurring), 75% of his vision, and sometimes he forgets words. He has family staying with him, as he's unable to do simple things: prepare meals, open mail, shower, etc.

This is so odd because most strokes happen in 2-3 days max, and are over. This was a progressive issue over a period of 3+ weeks before stabilizing. It's an unusual situation, and has stumped doctors. We bounced around a bit on MS, stroke, infection, and tumor, but thankfully it's looking more like "just" a stroke. The alternatives are not good. Causes are still unknown, especially given his age (more than a decade younger than typical stroke patients).

Worse yet, he still has some swelling on the brain. We're hoping it goes down. The 5th MRI was hopeful, as it showed some decrease, and that's what hopefully gives it away as just being a stroke. We're all praying it will be healed ... or in an ironic use of words, we hope he is restored. Every day we ask the good Lord for healing.

He spends his time in physical therapy and seeing doctors. He has about 5 hours of energy in him, and then he gets pooped. He can finally use the computer for a short while ... actually, his iPad ... but it's mostly to get a couple of TV shows, as well as research why this happened. Most of his time is confined to bed when home, so he's been watching a lot of DVDs. Or at least listening, given his vision issues.

In past weeks, there has been some mild improvement -- wiggling a thumb, moving the arm slightly, etc.

For those that have asked, yes, donations are currently going to him, to help pay his many bills. It's already at thousands of dollars, and they're not even done sending them yet.

Because of this, kpmedia is mostly offline as well.

Anyway, I think that covers it. If you have any questions, let me know. And keep him in your prayers.

Thanks,
-JMP

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Check out my latest Editorial.
The following users thank JMP for this useful post: archivarious (12-09-2020), Kedoch (01-22-2013), kpmedia (01-23-2013), lordsmurf (01-26-2013), rocko (03-06-2013)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

I've "known" LS for almost a decade starting out with some epic battles over the macrovision issues with the AIW, I'm sure he'll be laughing when he reads this. Tell him I sent my wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
The following users thank thecoalman for this useful post: kpmedia (01-26-2013)
01-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Free Member

Give him my best regards, I will keep him in my prayers also and for his family.
It is hard not only on him but the family as they are making trips back and forth, alternating staying with him.
Glad you made the post and let us know.

Hoping for him to stabilize and then make progress toward recovery.
Best wishes.
Steve
The following users thank Steve(MS) for this useful post: kpmedia (01-26-2013)
01-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Free Member

Thanks for lettings us know. Tell LS that I wish him a speedy recovery.

LS and this site have helped me a great deal. By helping me convert my family's videos a priceless treasure can now be handed down to the next generation. It's very heartening that LS is willing to share his knowledge with total strangers.

Steven
The following users thank GreenAcres for this useful post: kpmedia (01-26-2013)
01-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Free Member

Wow I am so sorry to hear about this!! I remember LS very well back in the old forum (videohelp) when we used to correspond from time to time and I enjoyed reading many of his informative posts.

Please give LS my best for a speedy recovery! I can relate to this because my dad had suffered a series of light strokes a few years back--and its a struggle to regain your primary body functions, especially speech.
The following users thank VideoTechMan for this useful post: kpmedia (01-26-2013)
01-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Free Member

Nver visited this forum all that much, but sending my well wishes to LS and his family.
The following users thank Spektre for this useful post: kpmedia (01-26-2013)
01-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Free Member

The forums just aren't the same without LS around. Best wishes.
The following users thank vkmestari for this useful post: kpmedia (01-26-2013)
01-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Thanks, everybody.

Though I'm not on the forum much, I'm reminded of a friend that referred to "the invisible hand". I can still share what I know second hand over the phone and in person. While it may not be me posting, the help you get from JMP and others is likely mine. So in a way, I'm here as normal, even if another person is typing. My mind is working still, even if my body isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTechMan View Post
I can relate to this because my dad had suffered a series of light strokes a few years back--and its a struggle to regain your primary body functions, especially speech.
This is the main reason I replied to this ... tell me, did he ever get better?

P.S. -- In case you missed it, typing with one hand is so slow. I went from 90+ wpm to hunting and pecking.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Free Member

LS is synonymous with genius, and generosity in sharing his knowledge & experience.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards
The following users thank naripeddi for this useful post: kpmedia (01-26-2013)
01-24-2013, 03:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
My Aunt had a stroke and she was in her 80's, there was definitely improvement over time. When it first happened it was very hard to understand her and she had a very hard time with simple things like feeding herself. After about a year her speech was much improved and she was able to do many things by herself. You're a younger guy and the effects of every stroke are different. As long as you haveyour mind and the support from your friends and family there is always hope.

On a side note you better get off your ass because you have to finish my project.

Good luck LS and get well soon.
The following users thank thecoalman for this useful post: kpmedia (01-26-2013)
01-24-2013, 04:28 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Thanks, everybody.

Though I'm not on the forum much, I'm reminded of a friend that referred to "the invisible hand". I can still share what I know second hand over the phone and in person. While it may not be me posting, the help you get from JMP and others is likely mine. So in a way, I'm here as normal, even if another person is typing. My mind is working still, even if my body isn't.

P.S. -- In case you missed it, typing with one hand is so slow. I went from 90+ wpm to hunting and pecking.
I replied to your question at the TVPast forum.
The following users thank VideoTechMan for this useful post: kpmedia (01-26-2013)
01-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

Just want to wish you all the best in your recovery Lordsmurf, I don't know you well like other members here, but your knowledge and this site have been invaluable to me. Get well soon.
02-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Free Member

Though I'm late in replying, it was really a shock to me to hear this news. If you don't know LS by now, read the article at http://www.digitalfaq.com/editorials...-interview.htm

He is one of those rare individuals with a real passion in what they do, who inspires those around him. His dedication to the community is undeniable, and the wisdom and experience he has shared through years of dedication, has helped countless people.

I can only imagine the impact of taking away his mobility, yet the passion burns bright through other's generous help. I do hope his functionality recovers to a point where he can enjoy some of his former activities.

In the meantime, I could suggest some predictive input technologies.
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/Download.html

Dasher works like a video game; just move the mouse slightly to catch the next letter. You can reach 40wpm.
02-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Free Member

I'd like to report a sighting of lordsmurf on DigitalFaq.

How is he doing? Any better? Did he make a full recovery? Or perhaps just doing a bit better?
02-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCA View Post
I'd like to report a sighting of lordsmurf on DigitalFaq.

How is he doing? Any better? Did he make a full recovery? Or perhaps just doing a bit better?
I had no idea until today that this occurred, I recently joined the forums just around the same time the incident happened.

Hoping for a strong recovery!
03-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

Wishing a speedy recovery to LS!!....Hope all is well and improving!!!

Last edited by rocko; 03-06-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: forgot
03-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Free Member

Just rediscovered this site after a few years away and saw this terrible news. Best wishes to lordsmurf and family.
03-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Free Member

Just saw this thread after not visiting this site for a few months. I have seen some recent posts by lordsmurf. I am hoping this means you are improving. I have learned so much from this site and your input. You are in my thoughts and prayers!
04-12-2013, 02:18 AM
Free Member

I just found out! Lord Smurf, you are an invaluable resource on this forum, certainly, but I pray that you are healed and restored to full health soon. Until then, rest well and know that there are many people you do not know who are praying for you. You are missed.
05-23-2013, 04:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
For the first time in 6+ months, I'm typing this forum post with two hands.

My fingers still get locked up and make some mistakes, but I'm finally getting some motor control back in my fingers!
So expect to see me back in the forums very soon. I have some catching up to do!

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: MrPete (11-17-2022)