01-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Free Member

Hello,
I don't know if this is the right place for this but here goes. I have about 10 VHS tapes I want to make into "quality" DVD. Which means no distortions,pixels, and lines that come from coding and re-coding(I captured from Enosoft DV then edited in WMM then "authored" in windows DVD maker). I have the Canopus 110. A competent windows 7 PC with the correct firewire connection and 100gb of space. My source for playing the VHS is a commercial JVC VCR that has TBC etc. I started a project on the latest version of windows movie maker but can only save the video to wmv or H.264 MP4. The results were terrible. I like the WMM format and templates because they were easy and didn't look bad. I inserted subtitles and credits along with adjusting the audio a bit. I know now that I may need to start this project from the beginning again in order to attain the original image output of the tape. I am looking for a lossless process to converting vhs to DVD. My project is saved and I still have the raw avi I captured from Enosoft DV saved. I put this down for a couple of months just out of frustration. I want to preserve VHS footage on a DVD with a small amount of tweaking (getting rid of the ringing in the audio or at least minimizing it.) Also, adding credits and subtitles to audio the may not be able to be heard clearly. Past that, it does not matter much because its VHS resolution after all. But if this footage is aging as I am, I need to do something soon! I'm not able to capture through virtualdub and Im having trouble loading the huffyuv and lagarith codecs on virtualdub. Recently, I used WinDV to capture and moved that avi right into AVStoDVD and burned the DVD. The whole process took almost 2 hours. I then popped the finished product into my bluray player. The end result was a very close to original video output (no lines/pixels) but the audio was in slow motion and out of sync. I think I'm halfway there with this method. Keep in mind the was no video "cleaning up"involved nor did I add the credits or subs (Darn WMM! I like you but why do you compress to such crappy formats?!). I can see the finish line! I just don't want to disturb this process with editing software that will kill my output. Again, your advice is welcomed and appreciated.

My equipment list is as follows:

Canopus 110
JVC SR V101US VCR
Canon ZR60 Camcorder
Panasonic DMR ES25S DVD Recorder
Windows 7 32 bit dual core pentium 2.67 MHz 2 GB Ram With firewire card
Apple Black MacBook early 2007 upgraded with 3gb of ram and ssd with iMovie 06, vidi, and iDVD 09
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Free Member

honestly for only 10 tapes you are probably better off sending them out but if you want to DIY:

first and foremost ditch the canopus device - that is DV only which has horrible 4:1:1 colorspace
you need a external TBC like a TBC-1000 or AVT-8710 as well as the one in the VCR(your VCR is good)
for windows 7 find an ATI-600USB capture card or you can try an LSI-chipset JVC dvd-recorder

the cam is of no real use and i dont think that DMR has the anti-tearing pass though filters
01-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Free Member

Thanks. I am not looking to spend anymore money on this work as I have invested enough already(more than I'd like to mention). I do have hi8 vhs-c and minidv tapes that I also want to preserve. Im thinking of a long-term streamlined process. In other words I am looking for a less painful and "quality"conversion process not necessarily the "best" process. It's more about preservation and credit at this point. Again, thanks.
01-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoink187 View Post
I started a project on the latest version of windows movie maker but can only save the video to wmv or H.264 MP4.
Can't you output straight from WMM to DVD via the DVD Maker software without a conversion step in between?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/w...maker-burn-dvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
i dont think that DMR has the anti-tearing pass though filters
It does, according to user: metaleonid.
01-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Free Member

for the mini-dv stuff is just a straight forward transfer onto your PC with a cam

the VHS-C tapes should be re-spooled into full-size VHS shells (search the forum for info on this)

if you dont want to spend any more money you could always the sell the canopus and the DMR on ebay and use the money for a TBC and a better capture device
01-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Free Member

Windows movie maker still encodes to DVD format. It will save it as a "DVD compliant" file but when you go to author the DVD, it still adds another layer of coding because the file is wmv/MP4. Found that our the hard way....