digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/)
-   -   Need your input: We want to recognize some members! (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/6736-input-want-recognize.html)

lordsmurf 09-10-2015 09:31 AM

Need your input: We want to recognize some members!

I really want to create a list of "recognized members".

I hate to "name names" right now, and thus leave anybody off this list. So for now, just as an example, sanlyn and Goldwingfahrer have been truly appreciated in recent weeks, and are excellent forum members in almost every way. You're helpful, you're knowledgeable, you've helped support the site financially (via Premium membership). I can't say enough good things about them.

This site has grown in the past 13 years (12 years for the forum), and is no longer just about Site Staff giving advice. And it's because of members like you. It's excellent to truly have a community. So we're trying to diminish the whole "Site Staff answers" aspects. Some of you are just as qualified and helpful -- sometimes even more so!

One aspect to prompt this is the reminder we sometimes post on long topics started by Free Members, or on posts started by Free Members that post a lot of questions:

Please consider upgrading to Premium Membership. It's only $20, it costs less than a how-to book, and has several benefits. The funds are used for our site costs (about $500 monthly!) and it's how we're able to maintain this excellent community of helpful members.

^ I've already edited it some. But it needs to read better yet.

I want this to truly reflect what we're all about here. It needs to not just mention "Site Staff", but also make nods to our non-Staff helpful members (and link to a thread that showers them with our appreciation). So I need to create this thread, possibly a special usergroup (and that may be useful for some sort of special communication). I sort of like "Site Supporter" but I also do not. We're open to suggestions.

rocko 09-11-2015 02:43 AM

Perhaps a (Premium-Video "Veteran") designation added to experienced member ID?..(Or Master vs Grasshopper?)..Some Premium members are truly experienced with this subject, and some (like Me) are ones who who have paid to support this site, but are still "grasshoppers". And sometimes Free, experienced members, like msgohan, have helped answer questions too! Then there are members who are still learning (grasshoppers,like me) who have asked questions, that help themselves, and others learn, or find answers from the "Masters"/"Veterans"....Funny I was recently thinking of removing my "Rocko" avitar so as not to mis-lead any new members into thinking that I was an experienced Digital Video Master!

....But Big Kudos to Sanlyn and Goldwingfaher!..Lately I was wondering (The past few months) what was going on with Lordsmurf and Admin!..I was guessing that Summer got you guys real busy!!...BTW..I really enjoyed kpmedia's posts a while back about customers who expected you to perform miracles from thier source tapes!!..Could become a reality show?

Also a few suggestions about Kudos to contributions from members, but would have to be added to member ID, as used in the Pest Control Industry: Branch I..Beginner, Branch II Intermediate, Branch III Advanced...Also in construction...Journeyman...Etc....And then there is the Star-Rating System, 1 star,2 stars..Etc...

sanlyn 09-11-2015 10:21 AM

Kudos to NJRoadfan for many valuable contributions.

rocko 09-19-2015 07:32 AM

I'm kind of surprised about the small response to this thread..but then again not..once someone has gotten the fix or answer to their particular situation, we may never hear from them again...Please Don't Forget to press the "THANKS" button if your problem has been answered....Lordsmurf I think the easiest way to designate appreciation, is to add a star, or video camera icon, or something like that, next to the (Appreciated Video Veteran) username, and then a $ sine(?) if the user has contributed also??..(Don't know how easy or difficult that would be on admin's side!)...As from a regular user of this site for the past five years, and seeing other websites about this, and other analog to digital websites being gradually dis-continued, I'm so Glad this one is still here, and growing strong. Not only do we have Oldsters, Like me, who have VHS tapes to transfer, but now we have younger folks who have a need to view/transfer their parent's or Grand/Great granparent's VHS tapes to digital!

admin 09-19-2015 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockovids (Post 40036)
the easiest way to designate appreciation, is to add a star, or video camera icon, or something like that, next to the (Appreciated Video Veteran) username, and then a $ sine(?) if the user has contributed also??..(Don't know how easy or difficult that would be on admin's side!).

This is an excellent idea, and may actually be very doable. :hmm: :congrats:

You're the guinea pig. Do you see a checkmark by your name?

rocko 09-19-2015 02:39 PM

LOL! Yes! After a very traumatic Nail trimming of the 2 cats, and then coming home with Del Taco food, I just checked in, to see what condition my condition was in, and a check mark IS by my name!...Also you will notice that I removed my Profile pic for now!..Hope this works for regular users/visitors, as well as occasional visitors to this site!..so I presume that truly experienced members will get a special mark?

admin 09-19-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockovids (Post 40042)
Also you will notice that I removed my Profile pic for now!.

Is that something you did, and not me? :hmm:

(Don't need the new tweak to screw up something else. :wink2:)

rocko 09-20-2015 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 40043)
Is that something you did, and not me? :hmm:

(Don't need the new tweak to screw up something else. :wink2:)

Yes, Definitely me, by my own choice. not on yor end at all!:)

digitap 09-21-2015 10:50 AM

I'll chime in as an infrequent/newer free member.

One of the hardest things to determine when asking advice online is the worth or reliability of the person who responds to you. My suggestion is that whatever moniker you decide to provide the helpful members, that it reflect that their experience and answers are reliable. There's plenty of people in forums who give advice they aren't qualified to give, or will write like they know what they're talking about even when they're way off base. Additionally, some people like to give one stock answer no matter the question. In this forum, it could be something like "what's the best transfer setup if my budget is $300". If a person always gives the answer "that's not enough of a budget" or just answers with "get xyz" (knowing xyz is over budget) without any explanation, then it's not helpful.

Anything that can show the members who are trusted/experienced and who can give appropriate answers would help.

rocko 09-26-2015 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitap (Post 40063)
Anything that can show the members who are trusted/experienced and who can give appropriate answers would help.

This is why I mentioned possibly putting some kind of symbol next to member's names (like Veteran or 1-5 stars or something like that) But at the same time, we don't want to alienate anyone who has given/gives VALID support. This "Valid Answer" is also (kind of) a side subject to Admin's original thread about recognizing members who have contributed the most helpful and $ to this site. I was also thinking of maybe a "Blue Ribbon" badge for those most helpful. Maybe a badge next to member's name, along with a separate "Special Recognition" Thread in the "General Discussion" category, would help users determine if the (non-Admin) answer given is valid? So I guess there are maybe 2 categories: "Valid" then "Helpful"?..Because sometimes an inexperienced question/answer, may help lead to an answer for some, or more questions for others, which is what this site is all about, in a subject that requires a lot of dedication,frustration,trial and error,hardware/software problems and questionable user error along the way.

admin 09-26-2015 04:33 AM

We're massively overhauling the site right now, starting with the forum. (It's not a redesign, though we may tweak a few things.) Everything you've suggested is excellent, and we'll be implementing it.

I really like your ideas here. :)

rocko 09-26-2015 10:57 AM

Hope to help:) I Inherited about 150 pounds worth of video tapes from my long gone step dad, which were all 6 hour EP mode tapes (terrible quality) of typical TV shows and movies from the 1980's..Have you ever had to lug that stuff around from storage?..Plus boxes full of 78 rpm records? ..Had to eventually throw all that stuff away! My own VHS tape collection of Railroad and Band music weighs about that much too!!