digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Photo Cameras: Buying & Shooting (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/photo-cameras/)
-   -   Camera slid off my lap, onto the ground -- How to check that it is okay ? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/photo-cameras/2616-camera-slid-off.html)

Sossity 12-03-2010 01:37 AM

Camera slid off my lap, onto the ground -- How to check that it is okay ?

I feel a bit stupid asking here about this after all my questions about this camera & getting everybody's help. But maybe some one could suggest something I dont know, like testing the camera.

Today had an unlucky accident with my nikon d7000, I feel very dumb & disappointed with myself, I was sitting in a chair, & had removed the camera & strap to put away in my bag, I just moved a little bit to reach for my bag & the camera slipped onto the ground. It did not fall very far, maybe 2 feet if that.

It seems ok, it powered on & I tried taking some photos, & it worked, I could not see any scratches on it, the fall did break a side off the plastic LCD cover.

Is there any further testing that I could do to check that everything is ok?

It was very awkward, I was out with my family, & my dad started lecturing me on being careful, it was not helping, I dont need a lecture, I know what I did wrong, I cant changed what happened, all I can do is check the camera out & be more careful from now on.

oh well, I guess as I was told here, the only way one learns is by screwing up, & I sure did today.

is there any sort of body cover I could get for the camera?

kpmedia 12-03-2010 02:43 AM

This is a good example of why the D7000 is a better buy than cheaper bodies -- it can withstand more wear and tear. It has a magnesium alloy body and weather sealing, unlike cheaper cameras.

Now, I don't suggest dropping it too often. :)

But if you do, it should be fine -- especially from just a foot or two.

Leave the strap on the body at all times. Most people should keep the camera strap around their neck, to keep it secure. I keep mine wrapped around my wrist, but I don't suggest others follow me here -- I'm a bit more dexterous than most, and have fairly quick reflexes even if it were to slip.

There are really only a few things that could be damaged:
  • LCD screen and/or pixels
  • LCD screen protector
  • mirror
  • lens mount
  • lens glass
  • filter glass and mount
  • lens zoom and focus rings
The side that impacted the ground would affect which of the above could be damaged.

If you can take photos, then the mirror is probably fine.
If the lens can be removed and put back okay, mount probably okay.
If screen is not damaged, and all pixels still look fine, then you're good there.
Same for lens and filter glass. Remove filter, put it back, to see if filter mount is okay.
Can the lens zoom and focus manually without problems or odd tightness? If so, then it's fine.

A new LCD protector is less than $20: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0049U478S
Just get another. Not a big deal. I've replaced mine because of scratches. It's a protector. It's supposed to protect. If the LCD is fine, and you broke the protector, then you were using it as intended, right?

You want embarrassing? I couldn't move out of the way enough for a football play that was headed into the sidelines during a playoff game. I don't know if that particular game was on TV -- and if so, I hope to never have to see it -- but I had a $5K lens attached to a $1K body and was knocked on my a$$ by two football players. And this wasn't some tiny little school field -- this was in Texas Stadium (former home of the Cowboys), with plenty of spectators to laugh. I was at the bottom of a tackle. I don't remember exactly what happened to the camera, but I was done for the night.

If you want SLR camera armor, they make it. The D7000 model armor doesn't seem to be available yet. Give it a few more months. Personally, I don't use it. But if you're clumsy, it's probably a wise investment. Here's the D5000 armor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002PLNZQS -- just so you have something to look at.

Above all else, remember to hold the camera at all times. If a bag or sandwich or drink falls, then so what. You can buy more food, you can pick up the bag. If you drop the camera, you could be in for a hefty repair bill. The camera always gets preference of what's held, vs what gets to drop.

Your lap is never sturdy. If you don't think a wine glass full of deadly acid would be safe and not spill, then the camera is not safe either. I would rather put the camera on the ground (while sitting on the ground with it!) than put it anywhere else.

Even in my office, cameras ONLY go on the floor, under a desk, when not in the bags for storage. I don't want a $5K camera + $2K lens to be knocked off a table or chair. But at the same time, it's never put where it may accidentally be stepped or sat on.

I'm also not a fan of a Captain Obvious -- somebody that wants to lecture me on what I could do, should do, should have done, etc etc. That doesn't help anything.

Buy another LCD protector today. Now.
Again: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0049U478S

Y ten mas cuidado! :)

Sossity 12-03-2010 04:28 AM

Yes, captain obvious did lecture, he later apologized, & after the fall he helped me look for the edge part that broke off the lcd protector.

Are there any other good straps I could get for the camera? the nikon strap it came with seems a bit too short. I need one that is strong & solid but that will not scratch the camera.

I wonder if I should get the d5000 armor, are the bodies of these 2 cameras close? could I make it fit? I am so nervous now, I feel like a real rookie, well I guess I am.

admin 12-03-2010 12:09 PM

I don't know. I doubt it. I'd wait for D7000 specific armor.

I prefer older hard-to-find Nikon D1 straps, because they are thick, well-built, and have nice suede leather on them. However, it's almost impossible to find these 11-year-old straps. And then it's no longer than what you already have.

A strap is a somewhat intimate item, sort of like a chair. Your best bet is to find a local store for this exact purchase. Are there any camera stores around? If not, then simply browse Amazon for a while, see if something there looks good to you. They have more than most cameras stores -- as Amazon aggregates a number of photo retailers through their marketplace.