digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Photo Cameras: Buying & Shooting (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/photo-cameras/)
-   -   Using RAW + JPG option in Nikon D7000 - How to use, set? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/photo-cameras/2653-raw-jpg-option.html)

Sossity 12-11-2010 04:58 PM

Using RAW + JPG option in Nikon D7000 - How to use, set?

I notice the 2 camera slots can be set to RAW+Jpg, with slot 1 being for RAW & slot 2 for jpgs.

Some questions about this;

1. for right now, the only time I would use this option is for artwork or something that I would only have a once in a lifetime opportunity to photograph.

If I use an 8gb memory card in each slot for this; will the 1st slot 8gb RAW card slot fill up first before the 2and 8gb slot for jpgs? would it be better to use an 8gb or bigger (what size for the RAW)? for the RAW slot 1?

2. Once I am finished with artwork shooting, I would like go back to having it set up to just shoot large high quality jpgs for everything else in slot one, with an 8gb class 6 card or class 10,

And in slot 2 I would have a 16gb class 10 for video if I shoot video. This is how I would have the cards set up the rest of the time.

can this be done? & how?

admin 12-12-2010 06:58 PM

I prefer to put all JPEG+RAW on the same card, with the second card used as overflow, shoot the shoot go larger than the first card.

Some people want JPEG and RAW images saved on separate cards as a type of "backup", but I find that to be a nuisance when importing images to Bridge or Lightroom, because I'm now hobbled with multiple cards.

RAW images are about 10x the size of JPEG images, so yes, the RAW-only card would fill up faster. That's another reason I don't separate RAW and JPEG on separate cards, as it would requires a huge card in one slot, and a small card in the other. I'd rather have a pair of moderately sized cards.

In the Nikon D3s camera, you can set it where the images get stored on one card, and video on the other. If either card fills up, then it will start to write on the other unfilled card. These settings are in the camera menus.

As far as how to set it on the D7000, read the book, or look at all the available menu options in the camera, on the LCD menu on back. This assumes the D7000 has a similar option. It most likely does have this available.

Spodeworld 06-07-2011 08:20 PM

I originally used slot 1 for RAW and slot 2 for JPEG. But, I found that inconvenient after a while. This became esp. evident when I wanted to erase an image and had to locate the RAW and JPEG separately b/c they were on diff. cards. I now do both RAW and JPG on the same card, and use slot 2 for overflow. It turns out it is more convenient to have both formats of the same image on the same card.

Steve

kpmedia 06-08-2011 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spodeworld (Post 16057)
I originally used slot 1 for RAW and slot 2 for JPEG. But, I found that inconvenient after a while. This became esp. evident when I wanted to erase an image and had to locate the RAW and JPEG separately b/c they were on diff. cards. I now do both RAW and JPG on the same card, and use slot 2 for overflow. It turns out it is more convenient to have both formats of the same image on the same card.
Steve

I've long though that RAW and JPEG on separate cards was a bit of a nuisance. Others in the field have done it, and I've in turn mentioned it to photographers both in and out of the field; however I don't do it myself. On the D3 and D3s, for example, images are deleted together when the shots is removed -- the images don't show twice, as NEF and again as JPEG. However, I think it takes longer to seek and erase. (Of course, this brings up the whole discussion of NOT editing/sorting photos on-camera! Leave that for after you're done shooting. Excluding cases where cards are full, and you need more space; emergency shoots, poorly-planned shoots, etc.)

On a single-slot camera, you use what you have.
On dual-slot cameras, treat the second as overflow or just think of it as a bigger cards (i.e., 16GB + 16GB = 32GB card)
Leave separation for the computer half of your workflow, in Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Bridge (paired with Photoshop).

Through late 2010 and early 2011, I've come to the conclusion that even storing video and photos on separate cards is a bit of a nuisance, assuming you're using a pair of higher-speed cards. With SD cards, it's really not a big concern, either with a Class 6 or Class 10 card.

However, with CompactFlash cards (as used in my D3s), a good-but-slow CF card is simply not adequate for some photo or video tasks. I've had a video clip end because the card could not keep up. And I've long had issues with the buffer not emptying quickly enough into a slow card, when doing 5fps or faster still shots in a long series. Slow = 45x of less, while fast = 133x or 266x.

Hmmmm.... I need to upgrade to a 16GB 266x CF card! Only $40 now!
From Amazon, of course: Kingston Ultimate 16 GB 266x CompactFlash Memory Card CF/16GB-U2.
Kingston makes excellent Compact Flash cards. I had been relying on a pair of Transced 133x 4GB cards, but it's proving difficult to shoot as much video as I'd like. Need more space! I remember when a 4GB 45x card was $40 -- and that was only back in 2007! Wow, times have really changed!

Oh, and before I forget .... Spodeworld, welcome to the site. :)

Share some photos, in a new thread, if you would. It's always great to see our member's work. (Admittedly, most of the sharing here is done in the video forums, but we really need to get more photos showcased, as I know for a fact we have talented photographers visiting this site. If you have a Facebook page/site, personal online portfolio, Flickr account, etc -- link it up.

Good discussion. :thumb:

- Notes for Readers: Discussed in this post: Nikon D3s, Nikon D7000, Class 6 SD cards, Class 10 SD cards, CompactFlash 133x cards, CompactFlash 266x cards. Remember to buy gear at Amazon.com for the best deals -- Yes, even better than B&H, Adorama and others! Never go with random stores as found with Google or Bing. When buying memory cards, only get cards from these brands: Transcend, Kingston, Lexar, Sandisk -- NEVER buy cheap cards (or you will likely lose your photos!)