11-03-2012, 05:10 AM
Premium Member

I have looked at both the iris scanner & the popular fujitsu sheet fed scanners, & notice that both can scan to PDF, & jpg.

I have many items to scan; handwritten notes in black ink on white paper at 8 & 1/2 by 11 in, various printouts of receipts that came with online orders on pages of different sizes, small cash register receipts, ticket stubs, concert poster flyers, & pages from magazines.

If I should use both PDF & JPG, which items would be best in PDF? & which in JPG?
Fujitsu offers all these modes which are a bit confusing;

which would be best for my material?

These are for when it is plugged in via AC Adapter

6 pages per minute
Color 150 dpi, Grayscale 300 dpi:
12 pages per minute / 16 images per minute
Color 200 dpi, Grayscale 400 dpi:
9 pages per minute / 12 images per minute
Color 300 dpi, Grayscale 600 dpi:
6 pages per minute / 8 images per minute
Color 600 dpi, Grayscale 1,200 dpi:
1 page per minute / 1 image per minute

and these are for when it is plugged in via usb

Simplex or Duplex:
2 pages per minute
Color 150 dpi, Grayscale 300 dpi:
4 pages per minute / 8 images per minute
Color 200 dpi, Grayscale 400 dpi:
3 pages per minute / 6 images per minute
Color 300 dpi, Grayscale 600 dpi:
2 pages per minute / 4 images per minute
Color 600 dpi, Grayscale 1,200 dpi:
1 page per minute / 1 image per minute
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-06-2012, 05:25 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

PDF is large. JPEG is small.
PDF has to be opened. JPEG can be viewed as thumbnails from an image thumbnail program (Adobe Bridge, for example).
I use JPEG.

I would only use a receipt scanner to scan receipts. They're rough quality scanners -- nothing at all like flatbeds. If those magazines pages, tickets stubs, etc, are just for the sake of records, and not something you want to keep as a high quality scan, then go for it. You may have trouble scanning small ticket stubs, as the paper needs to be of a certain minimum size. Business cards or larger, usually.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
11-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

Tanks for the info, what resolution would be best for my jpgs? I read that one can get items called a carrier sheets for the odd size items like ticket stubs.

For me it is a a tough call between quality versus time spent for scanning items, I have so much paper of everything/different types, just doing a scanning project of one of the types of items I have would take me a long time with just my flatbed. I have gotten backlogged have wound up not scanning half of what I intended. Some of the magazines are for images for my art reference, I have several overstuffed envelopes full of receipt print outs of online purchases,a ton of concert ticket stubs, & I also scan much of my album art from my vinyl & audio CD's. I also have handwritten journals, & handwritten notes for some of my paintings as well.

I like the quality of my Epson flat bed, but the process is very tedious for all that I have to scan, & between my online classes, it is hard to find the time. This is where the other sheet fed scanner appealed, I read one can just feed the items in & it can scan both sides at once, if it can do this smoothly without too much trouble, it would save me a ton of time. I just won a Fujitsu scansnap s1300i scanner on ebay. I am hoping I can reduce & conquer some of the mountains of paper I have.

I will use my Epson for items like old photographs, certificates, but am a little undecided on the concert ticket stubs & the color post card fliers that I got from concerts over the years. I have alot of it, & the flat bed would take me quite a while to scan through it all. The concert ticket stubs, have mostly 2, 3 colors with black text, some are a little more colorful.

I also have alot of small paper bound sketchbooks that I would like to scan, of which these alone will take awhile to scan through, for these I will probably use my Epson flatbed.

I am thinking for items like receipt printouts, or items with simple graphics, I would use the Fujitsu, & the Epson for items with color & grades of grey shading, or generally more complex imagery.
11-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
300dpi is fine. These cheap scanners are surely interpolating anything higher, so higher res would be a waste.
It sounds like you have a priority made out, so all you need is some scanning time!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs