Go Back    Forum > Search Forums
Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts Made By: tomswift
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 09-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Replies: 12
Views: 5,187
Posted By tomswift
You're trying to say that capturing from a device...

You're trying to say that capturing from a device that converts the video into an analog RF composite video/audio signal, and then digitizes it, is better than capturing from a device that takes...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 06-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Replies: 35
Views: 7,851
Posted By tomswift
No, I've gone through all the settings, and I...

No, I've gone through all the settings, and I know that the video looks different on TV's vs. computer monitors.

And I'm no hobbyist. My work has been seen all across Canada, the US and Europe....
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 05-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Posted By tomswift
No, MPEG is the worst capture codec both with...

No, MPEG is the worst capture codec both with hardware and software. I've done several of my own tests over the past ten years, and MPEG I always find has crushed blacks, even when I've lowered the...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 05-30-2013, 08:12 AM
Posted By tomswift
No it's MPEG that "sucks" for capture. I've been...

No it's MPEG that "sucks" for capture. I've been looking at various technical papers that I have and MPEG is always mentioned as being a good end product. But I'd just to point out that the two...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 05-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Posted By tomswift
MPEG only uses 4:2:2 with High-Definition video. ...

MPEG only uses 4:2:2 with High-Definition video. For Standard Def it's 4:2:0. Either way, MPEG was only meant as an end product, not as a capturing device, since you loose quality in multiple...
Forum: Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 05-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Replies: 4
Views: 2,088
Posted By tomswift
From an internet search, it appears to be a...

From an internet search, it appears to be a pro-sumer level device, intended to work solely with a stereo system, most likely for "improving" VHS audio or something. But, really I couldn't find...
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 05-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Replies: 10
Views: 7,171
Posted By tomswift
I just checked on the Pal Beta site and they have...

I just checked on the Pal Beta site and they have a listing for a place in Australia. It's called Beta Heaven. Don't know how good they are, but for the OP it's in Rowville, Victoria Australia. The...
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 04-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Posted By tomswift
Mr. Betamax would be a good place to send it,...

Mr. Betamax would be a good place to send it, since if you've tried cleaning it, then it might be worn video heads or something else that is out of alignment or worn out that needs replacing, and not...
Forum: Blank Media 04-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Replies: 7
Views: 3,605
Posted By tomswift
Verbatim DVD-R is just as good. Of course it's...

Verbatim DVD-R is just as good. Of course it's been years since anyone stocked the AZO plusR in my region. All the recent plusR's have been the Value series.
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 04-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Posted By tomswift
Considering that your machine and tapes have been...

Considering that your machine and tapes have been in storage for a decade, have you cleaned the heads? And with the tapes, you should fast-forward and rewind them before playing so ha you can repack...
Forum: Blank Media 04-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Replies: 4
Views: 3,276
Posted By tomswift
There is metal in the disc, since they do have a...

There is metal in the disc, since they do have a silver layer. I have actually never heard of this brand before this, but from what the Mam-A website says about various things, I would stay away...
Forum: Blank Media 04-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Replies: 7
Views: 3,605
Posted By tomswift
One thing you have to remember with DVD (and even...

One thing you have to remember with DVD (and even CD/Blu-Ray media) is that there are certain specifications that need to be followed in the manufacturing of the disc so that it can play in all...
Forum: Blank Media 02-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Replies: 2
Views: 3,430
Posted By tomswift
Best VHS tape - Media Comparison (continued)

This is in response to this thread (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/3869-best-vhs-tape.html) ('Best VHS Tape - Media Comparison), and I'm new here, but I just wanted to add my support for the...
Showing results 1 to 13 of 13