03-16-2023, 07:09 AM
Free Member

Hi, I'm trying to capture some footage off my JVC GR-DVL160EG Camcorder using a desktop PC running Windows 11 with a 7th Gen Intel Core processor, using WinDV or Adobe Premiere built in capture mode using a firewire connection for best quality.

I've purchased this FireWire Card to PCI Card, it is detected as ''compatible host controller OHCI 1394 VIA'' in device manager and is running Microsoft driver C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\1394ohcy.sys. dated 21/06/2006, I also tried with the (Legacy) Driver to the same result.

To connect the camera I'm using the cable that came with the FireWire card as I don't have the original one.

With the camera already connected to the PC, when I turn on the camera by moving the mode switch from ''off'' to ''play'' I hear the sound that plays when a device is connected and the camcorder appears in the ''video source'' list in WinDV, but the screen inside the program remains black and if click on ''capture'' I get a generic ''Error: Error'' message; Same thing happens if I hit play on the camera, the tape plays but nothing gets transmitted to the PC.

The camera appears with its correct model under ''image capture devices'' in device manager.

What could be the issue here? I feel like I'm sooo close to getting this going!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-16-2023, 07:46 AM
Free Member

Hmmm, tricky one. A couple of things you can try:

-Run Scenalyzer as your capture program. It has been more "robust" on my machine than WinDV; where WinDV gives me a black screen, Scenalyzer captures without issue. You can run Scenalyzer in Portable mode (you don't have to install it). My Scenalyzer guide is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/158O...usp=share_link

-Install the Startech 1394 drivers as per this:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/faq/f...cy-driver-swap

Set a System Restore point before you do, but I have had no problem with it. I have a onboard 1394 socket and only used that driver for my most recent re-format. It gave me these results (note all my info is different to yours). The first is the 1394OHCI.sys in System32, and the second is the card in Device Manager.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1394ohcisys.jpg (78.9 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg 1394 Dev Mgr.jpg (85.2 KB, 2 downloads)
03-17-2023, 04:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Hmmm, tricky one. A couple of things you can try:

-Run Scenalyzer as your capture program. It has been more "robust" on my machine than WinDV; where WinDV gives me a black screen, Scenalyzer captures without issue. You can run Scenalyzer in Portable mode (you don't have to install it). My Scenalyzer guide is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/158O...usp=share_link

-Install the Startech 1394 drivers as per this:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/faq/f...cy-driver-swap

Set a System Restore point before you do, but I have had no problem with it. I have a onboard 1394 socket and only used that driver for my most recent re-format. It gave me these results (note all my info is different to yours). The first is the 1394OHCI.sys in System32, and the second is the card in Device Manager.
Thanks for your advice, I also read that it could be due to the codec that windows 10 installs automatically from the Microsoft store, I will try this and your suggestion this weekend and will report.
03-20-2023, 03:43 AM
Free Member

Good Morning,

I tried your suggestions, the legacy driver swap I had already done, I also tried Scenalyzer but I get an error "Can instatitate: 277".

Also tried installing extra codecs to no avail, I'm starting to think it's something to do with the PC platform, I have an older desktop with a seconda gen intel core i5 processor, I'll give that one a try.
The following users thank Ric.DRZ for this useful post: Hushpower (03-20-2023)
03-20-2023, 06:44 AM
Free Member

Try to change the firewire cable.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
03-20-2023, 05:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Did you turn the system off, and back on while camera on? Silly enough, it can make a difference.
Same for camera off.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
camcorder, jvc, minidv, windows