Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-05-2023, 10:33 AM
Free Member

JVC HR-S7500 VCR - on inserting a tape, the tape is immediately ejected. There is no attempt to extract and thread the tape. I have tested with multiple tapes.

I have disassembled the VCR, including the cassette mechanism. Cleaned various parts including the mode switch. I have also changed the belts, but you can probably tell from the video that the belts don't seem to be slipping. Any ideas on what I might try next?

https://youtube.com/shorts/eHXWzB-BvpI
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-08-2023, 07:15 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
It may be dynamic drum. I forget off-hand if the 7500 is a DD model.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-09-2023, 02:51 AM
Free Member

That model appears to be a non DD system one, Did you check the modes alignement? It should be checked manually by going through the modes with the power off, check the service manual for the mode diagram.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
06-09-2023, 04:47 AM
Free Member

Did it ever work before ? Check the motor gears, perhaps one tooth is missing
06-09-2023, 11:25 AM
Free Member

I'm not sure why, but it has started working again. I took out and reinserted the tape mechanism several times, trying to find anything that might look a bit weird to my untrained eye, jabbing at things randomly, without making any progress... and then it just started working! Thanks for the advice, and sorry I can't feed back anything useful.
06-09-2023, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

Is this an HR-S7500U (black, NTSC, US & Canada) model or an HR-S7500E.. (silver, PAL, Europe, etc.) model?

JVC is messing with us here...

NTSC model is definitely Dynamic Drum (JVC info page)

Hilarious eBay sale item

AFAIK, PAL models are not DD. Hodgey will know...

So, if HR-S7500U, an impending DD failure is quite possible.
When it won't load, does it show "AUTO" on the display?

BW
06-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joned View Post
I'm not sure why, but it has started working again. I took out and reinserted the tape mechanism several times, trying to find anything that might look a bit weird to my untrained eye, jabbing at things randomly, without making any progress... and then it just started working! Thanks for the advice, and sorry I can't feed back anything useful.
The loading carriage must have been slightly off, When the mode switch detects being in a wrong position after the loading of the tape finishes it ejects the tape to avoid further damage, So by luck you repositioned it correctly, don't take a part again.
06-10-2023, 09:02 AM
Free Member

Thanks, I won't. BTW I did take apart and clean the mode switch contacts which might have helped, but I tested several times after the cleaning and it still kept ejecting.
06-10-2023, 09:04 AM
Free Member

Mine's the HR-S7500EK model which I believe doesn't have the dynamic drum.
06-29-2023, 12:48 PM
Free Member

I have a HR-S7500E

Recently had the mode switch replaced.
Player acted weird after inserting a tape and RPM's from the motor speed up and VCR turned OFF.
I had to press ON/OFF switch and player functioned fine.

Took it to service and had the mode switch replaced with new belts and some other stuff.
I had it cleaned and re-greased.
Had most soldering re-checked for cracks.

I still have some issues with my player.
On playback with brand new purchase tapes recorded with movies, my player often lose the hifi stereo audio and it switches to mono audio which is very annoying!
It's like listening to a dusty vinyl record with plenty of static.
What is the cause of this problem?

It also happens I get random RGB static interference watching a movie, I get red and green colors (almost black and white) then player switch to normal playback without issues.
When this occurs I get a playback similar to watching slide photos, scene for scene in the movie
Something is still wrong with my player.
Don't know if I have a play in the scart socket, will have to put some solder to stabilize the scart socket.
I use heavy duty ingot scarts from Ixos, these are no cheapo plastics, player being from 1998 I suspect there's a play in the motherboard where the scart connectors being soldered!

I will take my player back and have the service tech re-check it again