digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   Horizontal interlacing type lines on top 2/3 of screen? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/10241-horizontal-interlacing-type.html)

cokeshell 01-08-2020 02:04 AM

Horizontal interlacing type lines on top 2/3 of screen?

4 Attachment(s)
Hi everybody,
I purchased a Panasonic Nv-hd700 yesterday and upon testing with a couple of tapes, I found it had a weird problem.
I haven't tried to capture the tapes yet, as I don't have a capture card yet. In the video I recorded on my phone you can't really see the issue, but in the picture I made, it is more or less visible.

As you can see, the lower third is 'sharp' and the top two thirds are somehwat horizontally distorted.

Any ideas to what could be the problem/solution?

I have tried manual tracking, this does nothing to the problem.
I have also ff and fr, but to no avail.

Thanks and greetings from the Netherlands!
Cokeshell

lordsmurf 01-08-2020 02:25 AM

Interlacing is normal, proper, and part of analog consumer formats.
Interlace is not a problem.

I need to see an actual video clip from the capture to confirm.
Not processed.
Not from a cell phone of a screen.

A master capture should be left interlaced. A copy for streaming can be deinterlaced, and using a good method (QTGMC).

cokeshell 01-08-2020 03:28 AM

Hi lordsmurf, and thanks for your answer!

As I wrote, I don't have a capture card yet, so this is the picture from the vcr to the tv, only a scart cable in between.
I think it is more a defect or adjustment problem within the vcr (especially since this only happens on two thirds of the screen) and was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction as to what to adjust, and if that's even possible.

Sincerely, cokeshell.

lordsmurf 01-08-2020 03:35 AM

You see the interlacing on the TV? Hmm... that is odd.

Cabling may be at play here. European cables have always been fiddly, weird stuff can happen, especially SCARTs.

There's nothing to adjust. Something isn't working.

Process of elimination dictates using that SCART on another VCR to verify if deck or cable.

hodgey 01-08-2020 07:45 AM

Would also suggest testing it on another TV (or capture device) if possible, wouldn't completely rule out an issue with the TV.

lordsmurf 01-09-2020 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgey (Post 65653)
Would also suggest testing it on another TV (or capture device) if possible, wouldn't completely rule out an issue with the TV.

Ah! Good catch! I'd overlooked that. :smack:

dpalomaki 01-09-2020 10:12 AM

The video looks like there is bleed through of the vertical deflection voltage to the horizontal signal throwing off the horizontal line sync, causing every other line to shift (i.e., making it early or late). As the scan progresses down the screen the shift reduces correspondingly until it ~nothing at the bottom of the screen. (Or it might be A/C ripple that looks like a sawtooth hitting every other scan line.)

Trying another TV and another player is a good idea.