Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-22-2020, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

I have three older Mitsubishi decks, two HS-U57s and an HS-U65.

All three appear to have power supply issues which I understand is a common problem with this brand and vintage.

The U65 does not power up at all and looking at the supply the caps are all clearly blown.

When I put power to one U57, I get some noise like it's trying to move the loading mechanism but the display remains dark. The other U57 does not power up at all. The status of the caps on both of these is less obvious.

I'm not a maestro with a soldering iron but I've replaced components before, so I'm tempted to try recapping at least the U65 supply as I know that machine was in good condition before the PS went south. For $20 I can get enough pieces to recap two of the supplies.

Has anyone else had success doing this kind of replacement? And is there anything else I should check before I order parts?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-22-2020, 05:33 PM
Free Member

Maybe helpful if you haven't seen it already, 12voltvids on youtube did repairs on a U65 a while back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klAtrbSIy9U
03-23-2020, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Maybe helpful if you haven't seen it already, 12voltvids on youtube did repairs on a U65 a while back:
Thanks for that, his rather casual mentioning that the unit he was working on was recapped in the past gives me hope that this might be straightforward.