digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   Panasonic AG-1970 video PQ looks worse? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/10831-panasonic-ag-1970-a.html)

originalsboy11 07-27-2020 10:04 PM

Panasonic AG-1970 video PQ looks worse?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello! I have a question related to a Panasonic AG-1970 machine I've gotten. I've noticed that when it plays tapes, it looks like the PQ looks worse than compared to other VCRs I've played it on. Example:

Tape played on the Panasonic AG-1970 via S-Video on my ATI TV Wonder 600:

Attachment 12245
Same tape played on my JVC SR-MV45 on my ATI TV Wonder 600 and S-Video:
Attachment 12246

What I'm wonder is if it's a head-related issue or cable-related issue or is it normal for this VCR?

Thanks in advance!

lordsmurf 07-28-2020 02:40 AM

Is is a worse deck than the MV45, but not that much worse. So yes to both, mixed answer.

I have both decks myself.

We need to see the same image for comparison, to rule out tape issues.

More also needs to be known about the source. These appear to be nth gen (not master/1st-gen recordings) of CN. That's some really bad chroma, if both have TBCs already turned on.

BTW, toon collector here, fan of that CN era, and HB toons, so extra interested in your project. I forget which toon that is offhand (Pixie and Dixie?), not sure if I have copies. And wasn't it officially released from the Warner Archives? Edit: Looked it up. Yes P&D, no release.

Formica 07-28-2020 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 70447)
BTW, toon collector here, fan of that CN era, and HB toons, so extra interested in your project. I forget which toon that is offhand (Pixie and Dixie?), not sure if I have copies. And wasn't it officially released from the Warner Archives? Edit: Looked it up. Yes P&D, no release.

Pixie and Dixie was part of the Huckleberry Hound Show, so the DVD episodes were released under that umbrella title.

originalsboy11 07-28-2020 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 70447)
Is is a worse deck than the MV45, but not that much worse. So yes to both, mixed answer.

I have both decks myself.

We need to see the same image for comparison, to rule out tape issues.

More also needs to be known about the source. These appear to be nth gen (not master/1st-gen recordings) of CN. That's some really bad chroma, if both have TBCs already turned on.

My apologies, here's the same (or near similar) frame from the Panasonic image passed by the SR-MV45.
Attachment 12247

Also, about the tape itself, it doesn't seem to be a 2nd or 3rd gen recording (then again, I got it from eBay so I can't say much).

OT: Yeah, for my project, I just collect tapes off eBay and other places to transfer and share them if possible to YT if there's anything interesting.

latreche34 07-29-2020 01:37 AM

I think it's time to retire that VCR, You wouldn't know what's wrong with it until you do all the tests according to the service manual, Who knows what you will find, it could be worn heads, failing capacitors, ...etc. One thing you can do without service manual is give the tape path a good clean including the video heads and go from there.

hodgey 07-29-2020 09:18 AM

Judging by the service manuals, the AG1970P doesn't have 3D digital noise reduction like the JVCs do (when TBC/DNR is enabled), which does a fair bit to clean up noisy chroma, so it will probably be a bit noisier even on a well working one. It has analog CNR like most VCRs do, but that isn't as effective as it can only work to cancel out variations between a few lines. It doesn't have the more fancy digital processing that the 1980P does either.

Bad and aging capacitors (which is a common issue on 90s panasonic decks) and other things can of course also impact it, so not saying there isn't anything wrong with it.