Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-21-2021, 12:24 AM
Free Member

This is the second time it happens after I re-soldered the S-Video socket on my JVC VCR (HR-S6700AM) about two years ago, It worked fine until about a week ago I had to move the VCR to the side and I saw a minor yet visible flicker in chroma, I just decided to get rid of this stupid fragile socket and replace it with two BNC connectors and forget it for good, One for C and one for Y, So I will be using two high quality SDI cables that go from the back of the VCR to the BE-75, So no more S-Video cables for VHS.

I found these connectors that can be mounted on the back side of any metal or plastic enclosure, I just have to figure out if the common of the S-Video cable is grounded or not, If not I have to mount the connectors on an isolated plastic surface.

Do you guys have other ideas or choices of BNC connectors or those are perfect for this application?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-21-2021, 12:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Those are probably as good as any.

But I'm wary of ordering from China still. In the pre-COVID days, packages usually took 2-4 weeks to arrive. But all of last year, and still this year, you're looking at 5-8 weeks, if ever (lost package), unless they use a pricier "express" options (which takes 2-3 weeks minimum, but rarely more than 4-5 weeks). SpeedPAK isn't speedy whatsoever. So this will be your summer project, if ordering from China. Pay extra bucks, buy USA (or Canada, UK, EU, etc), get it in a reasonable timeframe. Lots of Chinese people know this, are bulk shipping items to California, New York, and Georgia (?), selling on eBay from there.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-21-2021, 01:07 AM
Free Member

The link was for picture only, I can get those locally and probably of a high quality US or German made, this is one of the instances where money doesn't matter for a lifetime project, I have an identical VCR as a backup so I'm flexible anyway.

I was thinking of removing the analog tuner and the RF out module and installing the BNC's in the same holes, Though not sure how the VCR will behave, I don't want to solder it back up in case the VCR comes up with an error.

These are high quality Zinc die cast from Texas

The good news is the S-Video commons are grounded, so it can be mounted on a metal surface:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg S-Video Socket.jpg (48.6 KB, 20 downloads)

Last edited by latreche34; 03-21-2021 at 02:03 AM.
03-21-2021, 02:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
BTW, there are some DataVideo TBC-1000 posts, where the VP299 was bypassed. Some of those mods used BNCs. So perhaps also look at those past posts (about a decade ago?).

Quote:
These are high quality Zinc die cast from Texas
Shipping is $15? WTF?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs