digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   JVC SR-VS30 eating MiniDV tapes? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/12855-jvc-vs30-eating.html)

buckwheat3 07-02-2022 09:09 PM

JVC SR-VS30 eating MiniDV tapes?

1 Attachment(s)
I now have three JVC SR-VS30 units from three different sources with the same problem. 95% of the time when I insert a miniDV tape, it loads properly and looks like its about to play, then instead of playing, the capstan motor at the top right of the mechanism starts spinning backwards and spills the tape all over as shown in the video. I've looked through the service manual and taken the mechanisms apart several times and everything looks normal. I can't figure out what's causing this and I really want to have the MiniDV parts operational again.:depressed:

latreche34 07-03-2022 12:04 AM

Get a DV camcorder, They are usually less abused than home decks, What's the point of having a DV deck in a VHS machine anyway?
It's the capstan motor drive that is gone bad, You have to install a new motor drive PCB from a working machine or the entire capstan motor assembly, not worth it if you ask me.

lordsmurf 07-03-2022 11:05 AM

The JVC MiniDV half of combo decks has an engineering flaw. Those have eaten tapes since day 1. Some insist it's fine, until it happens to them. The units degrade really quickly, and should never be used. Because most current owners are buying these decks used, they never got the memo.

- Just use the VHS side, great VCR.
- Never the MiniDV. Get a quality MiniDV camera, and done.

I have a VS30 that seems better than most, and I only use it for the odd DVCAM tape, never the common MiniDV.

buckwheat3 07-03-2022 11:53 AM

Just to clarify, I'm not using these myself; I buy them to repair and sell. I've already fixed the VHS sides and I want to fix the MiniDV part so I can advertise them as fully working. I know the MiniDV decks are pretty notorious for eating tapes. I don't think I've ever come across one that didn't have some kind of problem, but most of the time I'm able to fix them and these seem so close to working. I will try swapping the capstan motor today from a working deck I have and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

latreche34 07-03-2022 03:45 PM

You must know that when a BLDC motor goes fast in either direction it is the motor drive problem, Most likely the hall effect sensor gone bad so the motor control chip can no longer knows where the motor position is, what direction is going and at what speed, Replacing the HE sensor on the PCB underneath the motor or the PCB itself is not fun, So swapping the entire motor assembly is a lot easier.
If the problem persists with a known to be fully working motor that means the control chip on the main PCB is gone bad, The next thing is to replace the DV deck control PCB, It should be shown in the service manual.