03-15-2023, 04:59 PM
Free Member

Inserted a DVD into my MV45, then the unit shut off and started to flash "LOADING". It's been like this for the past 20 minutes. This has happened several times in the past year, and usually it goes away after about 30 minutes, but this is happening way too much and it's honestly scaring me. I spent a good chunk of money for this and if there is something wrong internally, I can't really fix it. Does anyone have any solutions? I am plugged into a UPS.

-- merged --

Took a nap for a few hours and it's responding again. No more loading. I wonder why this happens occasionally?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230315_165639.jpg (105.3 KB, 11 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-15-2023, 07:42 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Climate can alter caps. Open it, inspect all caps on the board. Look for any bulging, any leaking. Be careful. Since this unit is acting up, perhaps don't unplug, nor even turn off if already on. In fact, if on, sometimes you can hear bad caps whining.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-15-2023, 07:53 PM
Free Member

I turned my VCR on and it's back to saying 'LOADING'. I don't hear any whining. The only thing I hear is the DVD drive occasionally spinning up. The caps on the DVD side look fine at least, but I'm not comfortable taking a VCR apart, especially one that I paid about $600 for. I just used this the other day with no issue. This is the VCR I bought from you (LS) a few years ago by the way.

Last edited by ENunn; 03-15-2023 at 08:20 PM.
03-15-2023, 08:05 PM
Free Member

Capacitors can still be bad even if not bulging. The large power filtering capacitors in the power supply tend to go bad in some of these late model JVC dvd-recorders and dvd-recorder/vcr combos causing them to be stuck at "LOADING" as it causes them to fail to turn on properly. Whether this model is affected I don't know though.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
03-15-2023, 08:20 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Capacitors can still be bad even if not bulging. The large power filtering capacitors in the power supply tend to go bad in some of these late model JVC dvd-recorders and dvd-recorder/vcr combos causing them to be stuck at "LOADING" as it causes them to fail to turn on properly. Whether this model is affected I don't know though.
And that could be the case. I got little to no soldering experience
Guess I'm not doing any VHS stuff for a while if this keeps up. I might be saying it too early, usually when this stuff happens it takes about 30 minutes to an hour until it's back to working again. But this is a shame. I don't know what to do.

EDIT: No more "LOADING" again. VCR turns on and runs normally. This is weird.

Last edited by ENunn; 03-15-2023 at 08:35 PM.
03-16-2023, 01:02 AM
Free Member

If it does it when it warms up that could also be a bad chip, When they warm up they start acting weird, A heat gun is the best tool to diagnose such problem, From cold state with the lid open warm up chips one by one with a heat gun until you get the error which points out to the culprit component, You can do that with capacitors as well.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos