Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-14-2024, 03:16 PM
Free Member

I could use some advice, any suggestions are appreciated!

Hello!

I have a JVC-HRD4050U, and im having playback issues specifically with all tapes. I keep on getting “no signal” but I am still able to hear audio, and sometimes the video will display but only very briefly before becoming very noisy or “snowy” then I will recieve no signal again, still hearing the audio. I have dumbed it down to solely being a playback issue as I am able to access the menu on the VCR without problems, ever. Pressing the tracking buttons will sometimes help for playback, but eventually the same thing happens within about 5 seconds before it losing tracking again. I also get no signal when I FFWD, RWD or Pause

I have cleaned the tape heads, and also tried my hardest at realigning the tape path alignment as I thought this might have been the issue. I had no luck, and it didnt make a difference so I just set them back to where they were originally before I had moved them. Is there anything else I can try?

I’ve also tried both Coax and the AV method of connecting, both resulted in the same outcome unfortunately. I have been trying to figure this out for hours now, hopefully ill be able to get it working properly.

Thank you
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-14-2024, 07:42 PM
Free Member

So you’re just hooking it up to the TV? You aren’t trying to capture? Are the tapes EP/SLP?
05-15-2024, 03:45 AM
Free Member

Assuming:
1 You cleaned the heads really well
2: You didn't remove grounding screws (bad grounding= snowy pictures)
3: Ribbon cables are well seated in their sockets for the AC head and Drum/preamp (check again please),all the way down

It could be:
1- Tape tension issue (back tension arm) (check with your finger on the left side of the tape path if the tension if good (not loose),same thing on the right side

2- Can be an issue with the Post guides (P2,P3) that need a tweak

3- Check / adjust your AC head
The AC head is a set of two heads: one for audio linear a.k.a mono (reading & recording) one for control track (tape speed infos reading SP/LP, and Sync pulses i believe)
If not set properly it certainly can affect the quality of audio and also video to the point it's snowy and audio is muffled.
Adjusting it will not be easy without a scope but it can be done good enough (i did it on my philips, and some other vcrs)

two videos for you:

Adjust the AC head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fazLIPQqKLk

back tension (~8min mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dY0...Vuc2lvbiB0YXBl

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aiwa-schema-AC_Head-AZimuth_titlt-x-value-Bien-paint.jpg (96.1 KB, 1 downloads)
File Type: jpg AC_Head-messed_up-video.jpg (71.1 KB, 1 downloads)

Last edited by themaster1; 05-15-2024 at 04:01 AM.