digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   Got the AVT 8710, but NTSC auto selection issue (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/1994-avt-8710-ntsc.html)

cyber-junkie 01-27-2010 04:26 PM

Got the AVT 8710, but NTSC auto selection issue

Got the AVT 8710, with it hooked s-video, JVC to 8710 to DVD recorder and power the 8710 it's supposed to auto-detect and should select the "n", but it selects the "s" I have to manually select the "n", called BH and the "tech" said the JVC signal is so weak that the 8710 can't auto select correctly and you have to manual select...Is this correct?

Also I see alot of horizontal lines on my 50" sony LCD, should I see this?

And the buttons feel real cheap, when I try to select anything, I have to press them pretty hard and then it jumps several ahead, it seems to have a hard time going just one step per push...is this normal for this unit?

admin 01-27-2010 07:40 PM

Moved post to new thread, since this is really a new topic. TBC is considered a "filter" device, so new thread is in Restoration forum.

B&H is wrong.

I like to buy stuff from B&H, they have great prices, I completely suggest it as a store to do business with --- just don't talk to them. When it comes to digital video, they just don't seem to know what they're talking about, especially when it comes to TBCs. It's just not their forte, I'm afraid.

The do have the AVT-8710 at the best price, after all! At http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166

The JVC signal is fine.

The problems is the AVT-8710's "sensing" mechanism sucks. You're better off manually selecting NTSC, NTSC-M, PAL flavor, etc.

The unit is made from low-budget parts. This has been described in quite a bit of detail at: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...-tbc-1496.html

However, it functions superbly! Just be gentle with it, press buttons as each one were the shutter button on a DSLR camera -- as opposed to pounding on keys on a piano.

Horizontal lines? I'd have to see it

cyber-junkie 01-27-2010 07:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry about posting to an old thread and not starting a new one.

Here are pics of the the jvc on the LCD through the dvd recorder hookup is 4 pin s-video, you can see the horiz. lines in the one with the 8710, the other is jvc straight to dvd recorder.

admin 01-27-2010 08:04 PM

Set everything up, turn everything on.

Then unplug power from the AVT-8710. Don't unplug from wall, just pull small round cord from the back of the unit. Wait 10 seconds, plug it back in.

The 8710 can have odd errors where the signal isn't 100% in sync, and powering it off and back on fixes it.

See how that goes.

Sometimes budget-grade LCDs just handle standard-def content poorly. I don't know if this is one of those times. For now, we'll assume it's something else, especially of it looks fine with the TBC missing.

cyber-junkie 01-27-2010 08:07 PM

You could see the lines on my computer monitor before I uploaded them, they are not always there as I just found out, could they be from the TBC holding a pic or frame and displaying over the current? That's now what I think is happining.

And I don't beat on buttons, I was pressing them real gentle, I realize every button, switch, lock etc. only has so many cycles, but you do have to push these kinda hard to get it to change, maybe it's just a cheap button board.

admin 01-27-2010 08:14 PM

Yep, cheaply made, no disagreements here. (But works quite well, nonetheless.)

And you're positive these aren't interlace lines you're seeing on the computer?

cyber-junkie 01-27-2010 08:50 PM

They could be interlace lines on the 50" LCD, not on the computer screen, but one time after having everything hooked up and just disconnecting the power from back of 8710 and re hook up they weren't there, so it makes me think they are either maganfied by the 8710 or created on the screen, I really only see this when in pause or stoped, in pause it almost looks like 2 images.

cyber-junkie 01-27-2010 08:52 PM

BTW the case on my unit is black, thought all the others I've seen were green...let me guess...new and improved!

admin 01-27-2010 09:06 PM

It's one of several things. It could be
  • the 8710 error I noted,
  • or it could be the simple act of pausing on that particular JVC deck,
  • or it could be poor performance by the HDTV's deinterlacers.
As long as it's not recording some sort of extra lines into the captured video, I wouldn't worry about it.

admin 01-27-2010 09:08 PM

The case colored has varied a lot in the past 7 years, from what I've seen. I had one of the first teal green ones, if I'm not mistaken. Prior to that, it was more blue. The charcoal colored case is often used by the CTB-100, from which the AVT-8710 is a clone.

cyber-junkie 01-28-2010 01:24 PM

I have the jvc to 8710 to dvd recorder, while playback I access jvc menu and sometimes it's clear for a second or so and then it goes in to a "like your on acid" look and you can't even tell what's in the menu...and when I stop the vcr play sometimes the tv is a nice clear blue and others it looks like a computer image with jagged edges and squares and/or horiz. lines....tv is a sony 50" lcd...with electronics being that it doesn't do it all the time it make me think something is not correct somewhere between the three....Anyone else seen this?

admin 01-28-2010 02:58 PM

I've notice the AVT-8710 -- and several other piece of equipment -- don't like the bluescreen JVC menu. My advice is to set up the VCR as needed, "reboot" the AVT-8710 as needed afterwards, then play/record.

Something must be "off" with the JVC menu video, is all I can guess. I noticed this on Magnavox consumer VHS VCRs too, years ago.

cyber-junkie 01-28-2010 05:03 PM

Don't know what could be off...video cal. on, video stabilizer off, edit mode is set to auto/norm, all as suggested here, no other settings for video is there?

admin 01-28-2010 05:15 PM

I mean "off" as in "not quite right" or "partially screwed up" --- not as in a setting that needs to be turned off.

cyber-junkie 01-28-2010 05:49 PM

Gotcha...
I only have the 2 jvc vcr's but both do the same.