digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   JVC HR-S9911U picture color fade problem. (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/2915-jvc-s9911u-picture.html)

gzmachine 03-04-2011 11:26 AM

JVC HR-S9911U picture color fade problem.

I am converting VHS to DVD quality, when I have noticed a problem with the color in the picture that I am receiving now. I was getting full color bright deep reds and now the color has shifted to a greyish faded color, the quality from the TBC is clear, the color is the problem now. I am trying to figure out the next step in getting back the quality I had. any suggestions or ideas on what to do?

Thanks.

admin 03-04-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

the quality from the TBC is clear
The internal JVC VCR TBC, or an external TBC that's not been mentioned?

gzmachine 03-04-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 14743)
The internal JVC VCR TBC, or an external TBC that's not been mentioned?

I believe to be the internal TBC/NR.

The set up I have established is the audio and S video output from the Rear Panel of the JVC VCR HR-S9911U connected to a Diamond multimedia one-touch video capture VC500 that is plugged into a PC connected through USB 2.0 The software that converts the Video feed into NTSC_M format is One Touch Video Capture. I have previously recorded about 10 VHS,SVHS tapes using this set up with the color as good as Ive ever seen. Now when I play a tape, the clarity of the picture is great, the color is way off to a grayish tint, it stays this way threw fast forward and rewind as well using the JVC VCR. The tape calibrates when I restart using the VCR, but I can not get the great color back. I am starting to think if this could be a head issue in the JVC VCR?

BTW this forum has been very helpful in my research in making my old family videos convert to Digital. Thank you for being apart of the public community for this type of education and help.

admin 03-04-2011 03:39 PM

How does it look when the VCR is played into a TV set?
Let's remove the computer.

I have a feeling this is anti-copy (Macrovision), and this test will either prove or discount that hypothesis.
(Or false detection of anti-copy.)

What is the tape? Something made on a home camera, home VCR, or a store-bought tape?

Quote:

BTW this forum has been very helpful in my research in making my old family videos convert to Digital. Thank you for being apart of the public community for this type of education and help.
Comments like this is why we have the site. :)

gzmachine 03-04-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

How does it look when the VCR is played into a TV set?
Let's remove the computer.

I have a feeling this is anti-copy (Macrovision), and this test will either prove or discount that hypothesis.
(Or false detection of anti-copy.)

What is the tape? Something made on a home camera, home VCR, or a store-bought tape?
I have not connected my JVC VCR to a TV yet to try that out.

All the tapes were all made on a home video camera, This specific incident we are talking about has to do with a T-120 Tozai premium grade tape. here is a little more about the situation I am dealing with. Yesterday I recorded a full 1.5 hours from the tape, color was great, but I had the Quality recorded to my computer at a lower setting (only 888 MB) I usually like to get 4 gig's for 1 hour of film recordings. So I decided to record the tape again to my computer, but this time when playing from the VCR using the same tape the faded color issue has started, and here we are.... I then put in another tape that is recorded from the home video camera, a Maxell VHS to see if the problem existed and the same issue with the color.

admin 03-04-2011 04:20 PM

Look at the top of the tape, through the window. Do you see anything that is not clean and black? If mold is growing on the tapes, and spores came off on the heads, it could cause any number of issues.

Now open the side of the tape clamshell. Is the tape pure block and clean? Nothing "crunchy" or clear? This is to look for oxide shedding, which would again come off on the heads, and cause any number of issues.

I would still put the VCR directly to the TV, to eliminate the computer. Let's be sure we're troubleshooting the correct device.

gzmachine 03-05-2011 09:58 AM

The tape looks clean, seem's to have a little stream line that may be distorted compared to other tapes I have.

I put in another tape and the color has came back to the picture when I play the VCR. Since this looks like the issue is over with for the time being, I will continue converting the rest of the tapes I have.

I will keep you posted if anything like this happens again.

Thanks for your input.

admin 03-05-2011 10:14 AM

It may be powered related. It's a long shot, but not outside the realm of possible weird errors. Trust me, I've seen some odd stuff in my ~20 years of dealing with video conversion and editing work.

Are you using a surge protector?
While better than nothing (i.e., direct into a wall outlet) -- it's still mostly a nothing.

Consider a UPS with AVR
UPS = uninterruptable power supply
AVR = automatic voltage regulation (a.k.a. a "power cleaner")

Go for an APC, not a Cyberpower or some no-name. (Although I'd give acknowledgment that the "Geek Squad" brand from Best Buy does seem okay, for the better models.)

A small one runs about $40-60.

Amazon has them: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957

They're also locally available from OfficeMax, Office Depot, Staples and Best Buy. Also Microcenter, Fry's, CompUSA and TigerDirect if you live in one of the places where they have walk-in stores. Look in the Sunday ads (or the online sites for the store, to see the ads). Sometimes the office stores also mail you coupons, so you can get like $5 off $35 or $10 off $50. (Just watch for the "excludes technology items" BS disclaimers. Those are the worthless coupons. Like we're going to buy $50 in paper, envelopes and paper clips as a normal consumer?)

I run almost everything off a UPS, because it's safer. The units will sacrifice themselves for bad surges, and if power dips or goes out, the battery protects you from hard shutdowns, which are NOT good for electronics or computers.