digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   Compatibility of JVC DR-MH30S vs DR-MH30SEK drive mechanisms (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/3776-compatibility-jvc-mh30s.html)

MacMater 12-29-2011 03:24 AM

Compatibility of JVC DR-MH30S vs DR-MH30SEK drive mechanisms

I have a JVC DR-30MHSU which recently failed completely. When plugged in the unit goes into its "Loading" routine and never completes it. When this first happened, I opened the cover and gave it a visual inspection but didn't see anything obvious. I then boxed it up and sent it to a JVC authorized repair facility in New York.

I received the unit back from the repair facility today with an note that said "NOT REPAIRED. Due to the age of this model, part needed is no longer available. Unit needs replacement of DVD laser drive mechanism." I then went on the internet and was able to locate a "JVC DR-MH30SEK DVR Genuine DVD Drive Mechanism" for sale in the UK. It would cost about $110 to buy it and have it shipped to the US. I would gladly pay that if I knew the "DR-MH30SEK" drive mechanism was compatible with my "DR-MH30SU," but I am hesitant to take the plunge without that assurance. Since you seem to be very knowledgeable about these models, I was wondering if you tell me if the DR-MH30SEK part would work in my machine? Thanks for your help.

Best Regards
Larry

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

lordsmurf 12-29-2011 04:02 AM

Hi, welcome to the site.

The hard drive is definitely not interchangeable, because of the data on the drive. There is a PAL and NTSC version of the hard drive.

The optical drives, however, should not contain any format-specific data. I also do not believe the DVD burners have any specific "JVC data" on them (in the firmware). Generally speaking, all DVD recorders use off-the-shelf computer DVD burners, but are not encased in a metal box, nor do they have a plastic bezel on front. It's just a bare drive, guts on display. If you can match the drive in the recorder to a model, then you can swap out for a like model drive. Given that information, the JVC drives from a PAL equivalent MH30 should work.

I don't guarantee this assessment is correct, but it is highly likely.

It is worth the efforts/costs/risks for repairing this machine. It's an excellent DVD recorder. I will say that much! :)

MacMater 12-29-2011 10:12 AM

LordSmurf

Thank you for replying, I really do appreciate your input. I have decided I am going to buy the part and give it a shot.

Larry

kpmedia 12-29-2011 12:21 PM

I wish you all the best in this repair endeavor. :thumb:

Be sure to report back what happens, be it a success (hope so) or a failure (hope not). With more and more JVC DVD recorder owners coming to digitalFAQ.com's forums for advice on both usage and repair, knowledge of both what does and does not work is useful to have here, for the sake of your fellow users/owners.