digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   Sony KDF-55WF655 picture goes on and off - Is the lamp bad ? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/3915-sony-kdf-55wf655.html)

cyber-junkie 02-03-2012 06:59 PM

Sony KDF-55WF655 picture goes on and off - Is the lamp bad ?

Mt Sony LCD KDF-55WF655 the pic goes blank, the green indicator light just flashes then it will come on for a brief time, green light goes steady like it should then go blank again, the lamp was replaced just last year, could it be bad? I tried un-plugging the lamp, made sure the connection was good, it still does it. I don't want to take it to a shop if it's just the lamp.

kpmedia 02-04-2012 11:21 PM

Preface: To avoid potential confusion for any onlookers to this thread, the Sony KDF-55WF655 is a projection screen TV. A lamp projects through an LCD, giving you all the advantages of LCD, combined with the advantages of projection -- and largely lacking the disadvantages of both plain LCDs and "normal" projection sets of the era. The most modern LCDs may finally be coming close to these older ahead-of-their-time HDTVs. Once in a while, I see a nice one for about $1500 or so. I saw one at Sear at the end of last year.

The lamp is likely bad.

Be very sure that you're purchasing authentic Philips bulbs, from an authorized dealer of Philips bulbs. I've bought my lamps from Discount-Merchant.com.
And they seem to have the one you need: http://www.discount-merchant.com/Son...01753a_enc.htm

cyber-junkie 02-05-2012 02:55 PM

Thanks...hope this is all it is.

If not, I don't know if it's worth paying a tv repairman to come diagnose and fix, most around here want almost $100 just to come out and look at it. The set is probably 10 years old...is it worth fixing or should I just buy another? My work is down so $$ is a factor but I have seen several in the 55" size (my stand fits my Sony perfectly and I am used to the 55" size) at several sites for around for a descent price, if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

lordsmurf 02-06-2012 08:09 PM

There's two ways to analyze cost: the illogical way, and the logical way.

Illogical way: TV has problems, somebody insists that a new TV costs "only $300" or whatever number.

At face value, that seems like an obvious no-brainer decision: ditch the old TV, buy a new one.

However...

The problem comes from further analysis of what that $300 TV does. When examined carefully, that $300 may not replace your older HDTV. It may require a $1500 HDTV to truly replace the quality/features from the old set. True, you could get a new set for only $300, but it would be junk compared to the old one. You'd never really be happy with it. Nobody likes to step down, to take a demotion.

Logical way: Analyze the costs of a new HDTV with the same specs as your current one, and then compare it against repair costs. If you're talking the difference of $1000 between repair and buying another one, then the repair is obviously the right choice. If the only issue with the old TV is that it needs to repair a specific problem, and is otherwise pleasing in other aspects, then keep the old one.

This TV is one of Sony's better models from the LCD projection era. I would consider repairing it.

But I'd want to know more about estimated costs before making a final decision.

This isn't much different from a car.

I cannot afford a new car, so I just keep repairing the old one maybe once per year. Long-term, it's still a better value to repair it. And I already know it's going to be a difficult vehicle to replace. People are always quick to tell me that I could buy some used/new POS for "only" $X, but they don't seem to comprehend the fact that I want a car with a certain degree of quality -- not just some random piece of crap that falls under $X annual cost. It's not always about money. Sometimes it's about having the quality you need/want.

I do have my eye on 2-3 models, should repair no longer be an option.

cyber-junkie 02-07-2012 10:40 AM

Thanks LS, said like that it does make sense to keep the Sony.

There is a local shop that has a "new Sony lamp and holder" they let me look at it, I can't see the name "Phillips" anywhere but they say it's a "factory replacement" not the "cheepo", it does say "made in Mexico on the back of the housing, and the top of the bulb looks like it has a whole/no glass for a small area, the owner said it's probably some new thing to let the heat out so the bulb lasts longer, he says he has replaced a few of these and these actually seem brighter than the factory lamps that came in the tv, is this a good one or not? $$ is just a little more than the one referenced above and I can buy it now.

cyber-junkie 02-07-2012 01:22 PM

Update...I believe in sharing info and I have no dog in this fight...

My original lamp lasted approx. 6 years or so, the replacement (bad lamp) lasted 1.5 years and is a Philips (stamped on the bulb), I bought the new one from the local shop, the way the lamp goes in, the top of the bulb it's self looks open, right where the old one says Philips, strange I thought all bulbs were sealed units? I did not stick something in there but it looks to my eye as if there is a oblong hole on the top of the bulb...

It was the bulb, the new one does work fine, and yes it is much brighter than the original and last lamp, I have had to set the brightness and color way down, when it first came on it looks dim until it warms up, then it almost hurt my eyes it was so bright.

The hole has me puzzled...maybe it's not a hole?

One more thing, the compartment where the lamp goes, there is a fair amount of dust in there, I know dust can give electronics problems, I am not stupid so can I remove the back and gently vacuum and use canned air to clean the set or can I possibly damage something? I clean computers often this way.

Thanks guys!!

lordsmurf 02-11-2012 08:20 AM

Just be aware that fake Philips bulbs/packages exist. The cheap knock-offs went as far as faking the branding. What they did not fake, however, is the serial numbers and positions. Discount-merchant.com has more information on fakes vs legitimate bulbs, so be sure to read over that. It's quite helpful.

Be careful with a vacuum. Electronics vacuums are purposely weak with suction. General purpose home vacs and shop vacs are so powerful sometimes that they could suck the filling from a tooth. And that's not an exaggeration -- some vacuum cleaners can literally pull fillings from teeth if they get enough suction pressure going. You don't want to disturb the innards of the TV from a vacuum cleaner.

Bulbs always start dim and brighten. You're correct, however -- the Philips replacements are stronger. They're also bluer, so you may need to tweak the RGB or white balance of the TV, tweaking down 'B' values quite a bit.

The top of the bulb should be in glass so clear that it looks transparent. Don't touch it. You don't want fingerprints on it, otherwise you'll have fingerprint noise on the image. Angle a flashlight across it, and hold it at an angle, and you should see the glass. Note that the fakes may be missing parts.

In terms of cleaning the dust, I decided to just leave well enough alone on my Sony set. Given the irreplaceable nature of the SXRD line, and how much I like mine, I don't want to accidentally screw it up. If it gets so thick that I can peel it off with my fingers in the future, then I'll do just that.

cyber-junkie 02-11-2012 08:15 PM

LS, I have replaced the "light engine" or "optical block" 3 times in my set over 10 or so years, it's always the blue lens that goes, the last tech said that blue was the hottest as in point with the "blue" flame being the hottest flame, he said if the fan that stays on for about 1 minute after my Sony goes off was more like 2-3 minutes, the optical block may last quite a bit longer, hummm, how to do it? K sold me a "modified" light on with extra vents and a extra cooling fan....if we could only do that with the tv's?

lordsmurf 02-12-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyber-junkie (Post 19514)
"modified" ... with extra vents and a extra cooling fan
....if we could only do that with the tv's?

Oh, you probably can!
It's just a matter of cutting holes, adding fans, and being very sure your added wind doesn't interfere with the normal operations of the HDTV.
That's really all there is to it.

Have Dremel, will travel. :cool:

cyber-junkie 02-12-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 19517)
Oh, you probably can!
It's just a matter of cutting holes, adding fans, and being very sure your added wind doesn't interfere with the normal operations of the HDTV.
That's really all there is to it.

Have Dremel, will travel. :cool:

Have you modified yours?

lordsmurf 02-12-2012 02:25 PM

Not yet, no. (No plans to, either, if I can avoid it.)

cyber-junkie 02-12-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 19537)
Not yet, no. (No plans to, either, if I can avoid it.)

So your set has a better design or longer running fan after shut-off?

lordsmurf 02-12-2012 03:05 PM

It's a later model (the last SXRD model), but I don't really know. I'll have to listen/time it sometime.

cyber-junkie 02-17-2012 12:39 PM

update...I ordered a "genuine Phillips" lamp...it's the same, and yes the bulb is not sealed, it has oval holes on the top and bottom, approx. 1/2" x 3/4" and the seller said it is a genuine phillips, that I could take the bulb out, get the serial number and call Phillips and they would confirm it...WTF is with the holes, dust will diffently get inside the bulb, he said phillips makes or sells under their name several different bulbs for some models, my first two lamps were sealed lamps. And the extra brightness he said the ballast may not be putting out the power it should...shouldn't that make it dimmer? These lamps are real bright, I have the brightness almost turned all the way down...what gives?

cyber-junkie 02-19-2012 08:23 PM

Someone from "tech support" got back to me via email, he said it was genuine Phillips bulb and the holes were to prevent heat build up and extend the life and these bulbs are not pressure bulbs....

I took off the lower back area, was real easy and quite a bit of dust, blew it out with canned air, glad I did, put Phillips light in, brightness was almost back to where I had it set before so all is good, thanks!!!

BTW...my opinion is the aftermarket bulb is much brighter and seemed to maybe have better, more vivid color though both had to turned way down.

lordsmurf 02-20-2012 09:01 PM

Interesting.
So it's working again, and the set is now fine? All it needed was a new bulb?

cyber-junkie 02-21-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 19644)
Interesting.
So it's working again, and the set is now fine? All it needed was a new bulb?

yes to all...non sealed bulb :eek: just don't seem right!