Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Free Member

A couple of months ago, with the recommendation of some members on here, had my Dad send his JVC HM DH30000U for repair to Jots electronics This machine had a power supply issue and nothning else wrong with it. I mean, this machine sat in the same place all of its life. My Dad shipped it out double boxed, and they took almost 2 months getting it back. They claimed they fixed the problem, and they supposedly performed an upgrade. Then, when we got the machine back, first of all, the achine came back in a filmsy box. Then, when testing the machine, the analog audio output for DVHS didn't work. Nor did it record DVHS. Got the error code 201: Calibrating Wait a minutes. So, I shipped the deck back, and I just called them today. They seem to have contradicted themselves. First off, they said they fixed the problem with the front firewire input, which was a loose connector. "thats a piece of cake" claimed Bob. That also goes back to my thing saying the deck was shipped quite poorly in a flimsy little box. Then, he claims that another board is going on the unit, which is the digital board. He says there's an IC thats having problems and the only way to fix it is to spray something on it, and when that spray wears out, the problems come back. They also said that the digital video is going now too. They said to fix it would be $350 and thats the price they plan to pay for a parts machine on ebay. What is going on here? Also, after I spoke to them about the unit being damaged after they shipped it back, they said that it would be reparied for free and now they plan to charge me an extra $350 for a board that could have been damaged by them?

I've never seen any machine have as many problems as this in repair. Right now both my father and myself are quite upset over this. I had a JVC HR S6900U fixed by Pacific Stereo, and they fixed not only the PSU, but other things perfectly. Even had Bayview Electronics fix a Pioneer CLD D701 LaserDisc player without any further hasstles. I did have a problem getting my AG 5710 fixed by Southern Advantage Originally, but they kept their end of the bargain when I shipped it back and repaired any other problems for free. Any people who have had good dealings with Jots can shed some light on this?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The biggest problem with the fancy VCRs is a lack of firewalling between the components. When one component goes out , even something as marginal as a display or a button, the errors can cascade into other parts of the machine. I've seen single capacitors completely obliterate VCRs, DVD recorders, and more.

Sometimes problems that are just developing can be affected by changes in temperatures, and jostling in shipment. I'm always a bit on edge when VCRs get shipped, because anything could happen. Last year, I had an AG1980 go out simply because I unplugged it, and moved it to a new shelf. The deck had been perfect before that. The loss of electricity, and movement across the room, was enough to upset its gentle equilibrium -- and it cost about $300 to repair.

Jots is a company I've known for 30 years. We're talking old-school techs here, people that have done some impressive things through the years.

Blame them for the bad box job, sure. But the other things sound like issues unrelated to a box.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Free Member

Look, the only thing is it cost like $300 to repair it already, but ontop of that, when they said they'd do it for free, they're asking for another $350.
10-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Free Member

i wouldnt have even bothered fixing a 30000
for less than than you paid to fix it you could picked up a 40000 or DH5U and gotten a way better machine.
the 30000's are crapola.
10-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Free Member

voksjager, I agree that the 30000U is a crapola machine. I told my Dad the exact same thing, but he "insisted" upon getting this machine fixed.
10-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Free Member

i just recently sold a mint Marantz MV-8300 (which is a rebadged 40000) for $250.
the 40000 and the even better HM-DH5U usually sell for $200-$300 on ebay
the DH5U even has an HDMI out

if they want $350 again to fix it i wouldnt do it.
he is just throwing good money after bad
10-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Free Member

[QUOTE=volksjager;23420]i just recently sold a mint Marantz MV-8300 (which is a rebadged 40000) for $250.
the 40000 and the even better HM-DH5U usually sell for $200-$300 on ebay
the DH5U even has an HDMI out

I won't even touch the 4000U as it doesn't even include a counter. I'd rather have an HM DH5U for that matter. Well actually, for myself, I prefer the DT100U since it has the built in tuner.
10-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Free Member

thats a great one too - but you dont see them up for sale to often.
where i am you cant get anything without a sat or cable box so the tuner isnt as important.
10-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Free Member

I sort of see both sides of this.
One thing to remember, old electronics can be good but some can be money pits.
I wonder how many businesses even will service vcrs or old dvd recorders anymore.
I bet there are only a few.
I've got 2- 4000s and both do very well...along with a Mitsu 2000, 2- 9911s and others.
If it were me, I would take a chance on a ebay 4000 or DH5U, email seller before you bid and try
to ferret out any info you can.
There are guidelines somewhere on this site about things to look for when looking to buy a unit.
10-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

I took a chance on a SR-VD400US that looked to be dropped, and it works fine. Well aside for the dented rear corner which I mostly bent back out. Quite frankly I'm surprised the flip down door over the front of the unit is still intact!
10-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
I wonder how many businesses even will service vcrs or old dvd recorders anymore.
I bet there are only a few.
Very, very few.

Even most manufacturers have now shuttered their doors. Or at very least, refused to take in VCRs or DVD recorders.

That's a constant worry of mine -- how to repair hardware, especially replacing parts. I have a lots of "extra" gear purely due to fear of using them for parts, or having to rely on backup gear, should something catastrophic happen to the in-use hardware. While I wish I could sell some of this off, and use that money elsewhere, it's essentially a video insurance policy.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Free Member

The point is, if it were my machine, I would give up on it. However, given that it's my Dad's machine and it truly didn't have much use, I really would like this problem resolved at no more extra costs, as aside from the power supply issue, the machine was fine before my Dad shipped it out to Jots.
10-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Very, very few.

Even most manufacturers have now shuttered their doors. Or at very least, refused to take in VCRs or DVD recorders.

That's a constant worry of mine -- how to repair hardware, especially replacing parts. I have a lots of "extra" gear purely due to fear of using them for parts, or having to rely on backup gear, should something catastrophic happen to the in-use hardware. While I wish I could sell some of this off, and use that money elsewhere, it's essentially a video insurance policy.
I'm in the same boat! Call me paranoid or over-doing it, but I have at least two of everything for my main workflow, except for my Datavideo TBC which I only have one of. Two SignVideo proc amps, three JVC DR-100M DVD recorders, two versions of my current capture card, two and three versions each of my two main VHS decks, and two versions of the same video monitor. Plus a few other miscellaneous VCRs and of course lots of backups of my burned discs.
10-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Free Member

UPDATE: Spoke to someone at Jots again today. The receptionist said they can't "fix it" without replacing the board, and my only options were to pay to get the board "replaced" or to have it sent back and get a partial refund. However, when I spoke to them last week, they had said that they would give me a refund for the repair. I find it very hard to believe that both the HD video and audio are now going on the unit. When I received the machine back, the video worked perfectly. Now, they've claimed the HD video is failing. Also, they had told me to call back an hour later, and when I called them back during their business hours, no answer so they're now playing a game with me. I am now completely convinced that these people broke this machine and my Dad is getting scammed. Again, the fact that this machine only had a power supply problem, and nothing else wrong with it, and now, it has alot of other problems with it is a tell tale sign that this company is liable for the damage to this machine.