digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   Panasonic AG-1980 head-switching noise on top of image? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/6626-panasonic-ag-1980-a.html)

lordsmurf 06-02-2017 09:43 AM

It's also my understanding that the NTSC decks came out before PAL versions. So that's probably why the PAL decks are generally in better condition, as all the bugs/problems were resolved. Too bad NTSC didn't get upgrades as well. They stayed with the AG-1980 for 10 years with no major changes. I've never understood that.

JVC wasn't so daft (excluding most EOL models), and gave us frequent upgrades.

Even worse: Both Panasonic and JVC were Matsushita.

NJRoadfan 06-02-2017 09:56 PM

Panasonic did sell upgraded Z-Chassis SVHS decks in Japan (and likely South Korea since they were NTSC too). Why they didn't make their way overseas is a mystery.

msgohan 06-03-2017 05:21 AM

@NJRoadfan: any detailed info on JP models besides the mechanism? The one Panasonic model I imported (NV-DHE10) and one I have lossless captures from (sold here) both have an ugly PQ artifact that I've never seen outside of JP VCRs... I would suspect the 100V to 110V converters being used by me and @PR_Media_Info, but at least with the DHE10, the Blue Back and E-E passthrough both look fine. It's only playback that is uglied-up.

NJRoadfan 06-03-2017 11:36 PM

I have no experience with Japanese market VCRs, they are a bit pricey to ship these days. The biggest problem would likely be the black levels as NTSC-J set black to 0.0 IRE as opposed to 7.5 IRE.

Quasipal 06-04-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgohan (Post 49602)
@NJRoadfan: any detailed info on JP models besides the mechanism? The one Panasonic model I imported (NV-DHE10) and one I have lossless captures from (sold here) both have an ugly PQ artifact that I've never seen outside of JP VCRs... I would suspect the 100V to 110V converters being used by me and @PR_Media_Info, but at least with the DHE10, the Blue Back and E-E passthrough both look fine. It's only playback that is uglied-up.

Does it really need that converter? Most switch mode PSU's have a working range which then allows 10% +/- either way. Unless it is linear then it may have a problem but most PSU's are SM. I'd almost be tempted to find out what the DC output rails are and fit my own supplies inside if needed.

NJRoadfan 06-04-2017 04:28 PM

Generally you get 120VAC out of the outlets in North America. There are folks using older Japanese market VCRs without a step-down transformer here in the US, but the power supplies tend to overheat as they are linear supplies. I have one product here imported from Japan and the switch mode brick it came with was rated 100-120VAC! Weird because they are usually rated for the full range of 100-240VAC. Either way, the product was definitely domestic market only given that all the manuals were strictly in Japanese and the product had to go thru a reshipper to get here in the US.