Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-25-2015, 11:15 AM
Free Member

I recently got a sony dcr-trv460 for christmas so that I can watch my old analog 8mm tapes. Unfortunately, when I put the tapes in and press play, all that happens is the tape runs. No video or audio come out. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-26-2015, 03:09 AM
Remembered

DCR TRV460 can Video8 and Hi8 spend in SP
Hi8 ... LP = No
V8 ... LP = No
see Screen
Here I have a few D8 cameras, the last model is the DCR TRV 345e
..Menu ... Settings ...

But I always go from analog only

Attached Files
File Type: zip 460.zip (159.4 KB, 14 downloads)
12-26-2015, 06:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
You have a Digital8 camera. It may not play back the analog Video8 and Hi8 formats. The D8 decks are not required to play the non-digital tapes. And as stated above, some may not play all modes (LP), even when SP is supported.

We'd need to know more detailed info on the tapes.

And, of course, this assumes you have everything hooked up correctly.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-26-2015, 09:08 PM
Free Member

I would appreciate it if an admin or mod closed this thread, as I have decided to return the camcorder back to the seller.

However, I will give out the following information from another forum where I have asked the same question.

Quote:
Although it can't seem to play the tapes, it can rewind and fast forward them, and the camera part seems to be working. I do get the standard blue screen from the viewfinder, the lcd screen, and my tv. So I wouldn't call it DOA (What one user called it).

edit: I performed a couple more tests on it. The camcorder came with a couple of blank tapes, so I inserted one and recorded. It didn't play back. Someone suggested resetting the camcorder. I didn't know how it would help, but somehow it did, and when I fast forwarded or rewound (and only in those times, and in horrible video quality) I was able to see *something*.

Upon looking inside the camcorder, it appears some parts are bent. Should I get a refund and look elsewhere?
Quote:
...the only solution I could find for my problem (found at http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussio...roblem-211150/) is literally giving the camcorder a light hit. This seemed too dangerous for my taste, and I would rather have a camcorder that is more..."stable".
09-03-2022, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

I have this exact same camcorder and the exact same problem. I found someone online saying they received advice to give the camera a good “bump” or to gently hit it (I’m not kidding). I did this and it started playing immediately. So weird. This is also after I ran a Sony head cleaning tape through it.
I know this is an old topic but figured maybe this could help someone else with the same problem. Good luck, be careful!